The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TR6060 Swap for MT82

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EDIT 11/15 - Took the MT82 and started the process for the swap. The MT82 was in a lot better health than expected, yes it was noisy, but it never started grinding gears or any other bad behavior. Noise was being exaggerated by the twin disc clutch. There was play in the input shaft for the transmission, but it was within specs, and it still goes through all the gears with no problems. Is it healthy? no. Is it a great candidate for a rebuild, yes. Stood up much better than expected.

Lots of knowledgable folks here so I thought I would see if anyone here has done this on their S197?

I am embarking on the process of swapping the transmission in my '13 GT.

I came across an excellent price on a TR6060 out of a '13-'14 GT500 that included the internal cooling pump, driveshaft, transmission crossmember and mount, and shifter upgrades.

I know I need some wiring for the speedo sensor, reverse lockout, and a 26 spline replacement disc for my RAM clutch.

I am going to put in a MGW Gen 2 shifter at the same time as the transmission. (solves the semi-remote shifter set-up) I loved my MGW on my MT82.

But also looking just to see if anyone here has done this and has experience to share or things I should look into doing for the transmission.

My MT82 is still working, but the input shaft is making all kinds of noise and it's clear it's on it's last legs, with close to a dozen track days and over 600whp it's stood up very well for being boosted most of it's 35,000 miles.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
You get the one Rehagen was selling?

I think you have all the bases covered; I think you'll need to provide the cooler and lines for the actual tranny cooler setup.

Other than that, the bellhousing pattern is the same (Ford Modular), and you have the driveshaft with the kit, so it should go right in!

You MAY need a GT500 slave cylinder/hydraulic TOB. I believe there are specific ones to the TR6060s--do the homework.

Yes, I picked it up from Rehagen. I'll look into the slave cylinder/TOB. And also what we need for the tranny cooler. Nice bonus to have!

Looking forward to getting it put in the car.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Surfergeek said:
Yes, I picked it up from Rehagen. I'll look into the slave cylinder/TOB. And also what we need for the tranny cooler. Nice bonus to have!

Dean or Bill over there should have the answers to those questions.

Surfergeek said:

Sweet! Can't wait to go for a ride in your car. I don't think I've been in it since you helped me get me and what was left of car 733 back to SAI that fateful day... ::)

Completely different beast now.

I don't expect we will have the transmission swap done before MiniNats but if you'll be there, and the MT-82 is still running you are welcome to take a ride, I am doing my best to baby it, so I expect it will be running still.

Fat Boss said:
Sweet! Can't wait to go for a ride in your car. I don't think I've been in it since you helped me get me and what was left of car 733 back to SAI that fateful day... ::)

Hello,

Which gear ratios come with the 6060 you have? Do you think any changes to the rear end gear ratio of the car will be needed after this swap?

I'm also curious of your thoughts on the gearing of the car with the MT-82 and your current rear end ratio despite the failing spline and if you hope to maintain a similar gearing behavior after the 6060 is installed?

Thanks

Here is the info for the record:

my TR6060 is a '13-'14 GT500 TR6060.

It has different gearing from the Magnum and the previous GT500 6060 transmissions.

Mine will be:

TR6060 13-'14 GT500

1st 2.66:1
2nd 1.82:1
3rd 1.30:1
4th 1.00:1
5th 0.77:1
6th 0.50:1

Currently I have a 3.31 backend with my MT-82. This is going to necessitate a gear change with the TR6060. And I am still working on deciding what I want. I have a few different gear calculators I am working with to decide and have narrowed my choice down to 3.73 or 4.10 (I know 3.90 is an option but research suggests, that noise and other issues are likely with the 3.90s, the 8.8 rear-end just doesn't agree with them, Ford Racing does not make a 3.90 option but offer both the 3.73 and 4.10)

Even being blown with the MT-82 and 3.31 I have felt that with the suspension work, more gear in the back would be okay (3.55 but probably not 3.73)

My main purpose is going to be street driving and road courses, I don't drag race the car.

I'll have 18" tires on all the time, with a 35 sidewall for the track and the street. (285, 295, 305 widths)

4.10 will get me more engine braking, and possibly let me steer the car with the throttle a bit more, and also make that 6th gear overdrive useable for highway cruising at all highway speeds. (with 4.10 gears I would still be cruising a little under 2,100 RPMs at 80mph, 1,800 RPMs at 70)

I shift by 7,000 RPM with my tune and would hit 50 mph in 1st gear, currently at 7,000RPM, I am at 45 mph in 1st gear.

So with my wheel / tire combo a 4.10 and the TR6060 is probably the closest thing to the MT82 and my current 3.31 gears as you look through the bands without being more aggressive. To get more aggressive I would have to go with a 4.56 gear and I am just not sure I want to do that, I would run out of gear real quick and have a harder time finding traction than I do now, even with all the rear end work which increased rear end bite tremendously. Still lots to consider and think about.

2013dibgt said:
Hello,

Which gear ratios come with the 6060 you have? Do you think any changes to the rear end gear ratio of the car will be needed after this swap?

I'm also curious of your thoughts on the gearing of the car with the MT-82 and your current rear end ratio despite the failing spline and if you hope to maintain a similar gearing behavior after the 6060 is installed?

Thanks

Quick Update....

Ordered the electronics we need to make the swap from Modern Driveline, very helpful folks!

Parts required for the TR6060 swap are:

Harnesses for Reverse lockout, Reverse Switch, and Speedometer
Modules for Reverse Lockout and Speedometer Calibration

We also were advised that for cruise control to work properly there will have to be some tweaking done in the custom tune I am running, so we will investigate that.

At the same time I'll be changing rear end gear ratios to 4.10 with Ford Racing Gears.

I have a fairly new RAM clutch, we are working on seeing if we can just swap the internals or have the discs rebuilt to make it work with the new transmission without having to replace the whole thing. This is a work in progress.

Another Quick update:

After consulting with RAM we found there are two ways to approach it, buy new 26 spline discs, 2 required since it's a dual disc, or pull my existing discs and have them re-shimmed to work with the 26 spline. The problem with re-shimming was turn-around time and how long the car would be down, so we opted to buy 2 new discs and will send in the existing discs (2 track days and about 4,000-5,000 total miles) and have them re-shimmed as spares for maintenance in the future.

Looks like we should be doing the swap in October at this point.

What are you going to do with your MT-82?

Working on that ... it's still running, but the input shaft is noisy. Gonna get it out before it grenades and have a couple of places that we are investigating to sell it for a rebuild. Hope to get something out of it.

It's still shifting fine, but when we changed the clutch, you could feel the play in the input shaft and it is noisy now.

This is the week! Rear-end came out today and 6060 is going in as follows:

2013-2014 GT500 TR-6060
MGW Shifter
Keeping my RAM twin disc clutch just had to swap out the discs, can then get the MT-82 discs re-shimmed and I'll have spares.
Aluminum Drive Shaft
4.10 Ford Racing Gears
And but the bullet on a Cortex Racing Torque Arm.

MT-82 will be for sale. I think I have a home already for my MGW shifter, blowfish bracket, and DSS Driveshaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey how’s it going guys, sorry for bringing up an old thread but I just recently purchased a 13 GT500 TR6060 doing the same swap to my 12 Boss 302, I got the TR6060, MGW shifter, crossmember, carbon fiber drive shaft, and trans cooler I will need the electronic’s... my question is do I need different adapters or flange or connector to fit the pattern on the differential to the driveshaft ?

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
Bump for @Joseph Bimbo question above...

Also, is an aftermarket tune required for the 6060 to output the correct speed? Would like to keep my OEM TracKey settings while moving closer to the 302S transmission.

Does the TR-6060 work the Boss 302R driveshaft in our cars or only with the BossR1 Transmission? Trying to stay as OEM as possible if I go this route.

Last edited:
hey how’s it going sorry for the late reply, my car is tuned already so I actually lost the track key functions, Shaun at Aed tunes my car and once I have the info he corrected the settings and fixed my speedo. About the TR6060 and boss 302s or r transmissions I’m not sure if they’ll fit they might be longer.
Bump for @Joseph Bimbo question above...

Also, is an aftermarket tune required for the 6060 to output the correct speed? Would like to keep my OEM TracKey settings while moving closer to the 302S transmission.

Does the TR-6060 work the Boss 302R driveshaft in our cars or only with the BossR1 Transmission? Trying to stay as OEM as possible if I go this route.

hey how’s it going sorry for the late reply, my car is tuned already so I actually lost the track key functions, Shaun at Aed tunes my car and once I have the info he corrected the settings and fixed my speedo. About the TR6060 and boss 302s or r transmissions I’m not sure if they’ll fit they might be longer.
New to the forum but saw you did this swap and I’m looking to do the same. I have a 13 Boss with Hellion TT kit and acquired a TR 6060 and 2010 GT500. Any chance you know the difference between 2010 and 2013? I know the gear ratios are but not sure of anything else. Can’t seem to find the 2010 ratios online and am hoping tranny will work. I have 3.73 rear end and any expertise or any insight on how your install went would be greatly appreciated. Just want to make sure ducks are in a row before I begin. Thanks

TMO Supporting Vendors