The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Alignment Suggestion.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Peoria, Arizona
Hello all, my name is Juan I'm from Peoria Arizona. I'm new to this forum.

I'm reaching out to you guys for advise, please.
I own both of the Mustang in my profile picture, the Orange is an Ex-Bob Bondurant school car (1987) and the blue is an 1988.
I'm focusing on the 88 for now... it has all of the Maximum motorsports mods available. I bought the car from a friend a month ago and I'm looking for advise as to the alignment setup. I was on track this past weekend with NASA AZ and the car definitely need some adjusting. Oversteering during slow/sharp turns but understeering in fast/sweeping turns.
What do you guys run for alignment?

Thanks,

Juan

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Juan

Welcome to the site. Nice looking stable.

I have a straight axle S197. Alignment specs usually address tire wear first then grip within reason. If tire wear is equalized, grip will be maximized as far as alignment is concerned....usually.
Under steer and over steer usually are adjusted with springs and bars. You can also dump some cash in a cambered rear axle. This usually decreased over steer by increasing rear grip.

Have you called Maximum Motorsports for advice on alignment?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Peoria, Arizona
Juan

Welcome to the site. Nice looking stable.

I have a straight axle S197. Alignment specs usually address tire wear first then grip within reason. If tire wear is equalized, grip will be maximized as far as alignment is concerned....usually.
Under steer and over steer usually are adjusted with springs and bars. You can also dump some cash in a cambered rear axle. This usually decreased over steer by increasing rear grip.

Have you called Maximum Motorsports for advice on alignment?
TMSBOSS, thank you for the quick response.

Copy, that, thanks.
I'm open to any information/suggestions on car setup, I know the very basic stuff but I'm ready to learn as much as possible.
I did contact MMS they have a service that I can buy and they will help me. I don't have a problem with that but I need to find out exactly what parts the car has, plus car weight, weight distribution, Horse power, etc. etc. before I can properly fill the form they need for the service.
I did find, in their Camber/Caster plate Installation instructions, where they recommend Camber -3 (Depending on track) and Caster (+6 to +8) and 0.5° toe out depending on driver's preference.
I need to confirm with an alignment shop (I did the DIY alignment check) but it looks like the current alignment is: -3.7 Camber, Caster is maxed out + but I couldn't get a good number and 1/16" toe in.

here's a little secret on those cars, if you run at least 4degrees of positive caster, they will pick up camber on turn in. I'd run about 3 degrees camber and see what happens. Keep in mind those cars are flexi flyers, so anything you can do to support the strut towers is a plus. That means a decent firewall to strut tower brace and subframe connectors.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Peoria, Arizona
Blacksheep-1,
Thank you!
I'll try that setup.
I have the Subframe Connectors and the MMS Front Strut tower brace. Do I need anything for the rear to brace the coil over mounts?

Blacksheep-1,
Thank you!
I'll try that setup.
I have the Subframe Connectors and the MMS Front Strut tower brace. Do I need anything for the rear to brace the coil over mounts?
A lot of guys will run a brace across, or tie them into the roll cage, probably not necessary if you are running street tires. the front of the car is the real issue

TMO Supporting Vendors