The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Attack - Go Pro Hero Cams Allowed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello Gents,

Apologies in advance if this subject has been discussed. I searched a bit and couldn't really find anything before posting this. Best answer would come from one of the MMP guys, but certainly all ears to answers from guys who have already been to Track Attack -

Q: Will MMP allow us to bring our own Go Pro Hero and attach it to the interior and/or exterior of the car? Will they allow you to attach it to the helmet? I'd like to get one of these, and I'd love to record my laps at Track Attack in April. I know I have seen a few vids from guys that have been - but, not sure at all what the "current policy" is in regards to this, and would like to know before I plunk down the cash for the camera. If they are allowed, are there any rules/regulations/restrictions regarding their use? Etc...

Thanks in advance to everyone.

Yes, several of us that attended last year shot video including hot laps with the pros.

Yes, they encouraged it, I had mine mounted inside the windshield with the suction cup mount. I have not seen a BTA video with a Go-Pro attached to the exterior of the car, so do not know if they would request not to have it mounted out there and possibly coming off and damaging the car or another car???

Thanks both of you. :)

MNG_BOSS302, do you have a link to the videos you shot online? Or, are they on the Track Attack thread? My next decision to make is whether to mount on dash, window, or helmet, comparing videos of all. Anyone have recommendations on the most "versatile" Go Pro kit? Seems to be a lot of choices on Go Pro packages - I'd like one that will mount interior, exterior, helmet - everywhere. Any recommendations are welcome, as I research my purchase. :)

5 DOT 0 said:
Mine using my iP4:

Funny how your off-road video was mysteriously deleted ??? ;D here is one of mine kickin up some rocks.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ6mUbc_Pmo[/youtube]

One with an instructor, even if these are not all that long ago I am amazed how much I have learned since then.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv5X4YiO4oE[/youtube]

DieselRocket said:
Thanks both of you. :)

MNG_BOSS302, do you have a link to the videos you shot online? Or, are they on the Track Attack thread? My next decision to make is whether to mount on dash, window, or helmet, comparing videos of all. Anyone have recommendations on the most "versatile" Go Pro kit? Seems to be a lot of choices on Go Pro packages - I'd like one that will mount interior, exterior, helmet - everywhere. Any recommendations are welcome, as I research my purchase. :)

Here is mine from BTA. Windshield mounted, inside. http://youtu.be/vrsrdHMRID8

I bought the Helmet kit package and the Suction Cup mount seperate. The Motorsports kit comes with the suction cup and the Helmet kit comes with a strap for your helmet like a pair of goggles, and the kits come with an assortment of stick on mounts. I have only used the suction cup mount, it is quick and easy to move around (inside or out or car to car). So in this case for me the Motorsports kit could have done it (when I bought mine the Helmet kit was onsale with a memory card included so I bought that and got the suction cup mount seperate). The suction cup mount is very high quality and holds tight.

If you use the suction cup inside on the windshield, the Go-Pro hangs upside down, so you have to put the camera in upside down mode (pretty quck and easy to do), that way when you watch it on your computer it shows it right side up. If you forget, you can use software to turn it 180, but is easier if you put the Go-Pro in UPd mode. There are two covers for the back, one with open slots in it to let some sound in and one solid (waterproof), use the open one for inside the car to get a little more sound, use the solid one outside the car to shield from wind/water. Buy one before you go and play around with it in your car so you get comfortable turning it on and setting it to record and the sounds it makes etc. Other than charge the battery, put in a memory card and UPd mode if needed, it is pretty much set right out of the box to record.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
  • On your helmet may get annoying.
  • Inside windshield works well, watch for glare from the glass.
  • I've also mounted mine on the front bumper. Our bumpers are so smooth and flat on top that the suction cup sticks to it like glass (assuming your bumper is clean and waxed ;D ). I added some gaffers tape just to be sure but it actually was overkill and not needed when I did it last.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I did the adhesive mount on my windshield center and believe me unless you get a direct hit it ain't coming off. One problem I had was I had it in line of wipers at the top, found out when I spritzed the windshield on the way home ::)

Have one mounted on the inside of the radiator intake mouth. Gives nice road level shots, good for apex and track out info........you are never as far out or clip enough curb as you think you do. Just make sure to dewax with prep sol or alcohol before putting on, dental floss will cut it loose but it could probably hold 100+ pounds easy.
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors