The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

track brake pads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Currently running PFC 97 compound pads up front. Picked them up for a very good price. Not as much overall stopping power as other track pads but an endurance compound so they last. Going to DTC-60 or XP12 next.

Pagid RS-29 front, RS-56 rear

jnathan68 said:
Currently running PFC 97 compound pads up front. Picked them up for a very good price. Not as much overall stopping power as other track pads but an endurance compound so they last. Going to DTC-60 or XP12 next.

Be careful with the 97 up front, they can't hold up to the heat and will crack, big cracks all the way across the pad and then come loose from the backing plate. Trust me on that ::) Sounds like you don't want to get the hardest compound, like PFC 01 or DTC 70. The PFC 08's are a great pad, stop almost as good as the 01's, they are also an endurance compound and easier on the rotors. The 97's work well on the rear axle for our cars.

Talk with Pete or KNS for a better setup.

2012YellowBoss said:
Be careful with the 97 up front, they can't hold up to the heat and will crack, big cracks all the way across the pad and then come loose from the backing plate. Trust me on that ::) Sounds like you don't want to get the hardest compound, like PFC 01 or DTC 70. The PFC 08's are a great pad, stop almost as good as the 01's, they are also an endurance compound and easier on the rotors. The 97's work well on the rear axle for our cars.

Talk with Pete or KNS for a better setup.

Interesting. I run street tires (RS-3) but push pretty hard and no issues with them yet (a few track days already). They are a pretty well known pad and I have known plenty of track guys who run them so maybe you had a defective set.

zzyzx

Steve
roadhouse said:
Carbotech xp20/10 using Hoosier R6s.

How are the XP20s working for you? I'm on the XP12s and they aren't quite up to the task. I'm considering XP16s F next.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
zzyzx said:
How are the XP20s working for you? I'm on the XP12s and they aren't quite up to the task. I'm considering XP16s F next.

Here's our recommendations for front pads for the Boss:

If running an r-compound tire, or a highly experienced driver running a non r-comp
Pagid: RS-14 or RS-15
Carbotech: XP-20

If not running an r-compound tire, or car with these pads possibly used as daily driver
Pagid: RS-19 or RS-29
Carbotech: XP-16 or XP-12

See our pages on compound details:
Pagid: http://www.trackdaysolutions.com/brake_compounds.html, http://www.trackdaysolutions.com/compound_comparisons.html
Carbotech: http://www.trackdaysolutions.com/brake_compounds_carbotech.html

-Pete

86305aee-252d-4124-928e-5f37a6bdb910_zpsd189a619.jpg

Tulsa, OK
zzyzx said:

I haven't driven them on the track yet but I'm scheduled for a track day this Saturday if the weather cooperates with me. I'll be sure and let you know how they work out. I've had them on for about two weeks now and driven on the street a few times. They definitely like to be hot and won't stop very well until they are warm. In my experience they don't squeal as bad as my HP+s. We'll see how they are my rotors...

TMO Supporting Vendors