The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track coverage with State Farm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I have a buddy who works at a State Farm agency. While shooting the bull, his boss walked in and so I asked if his company would cover me while im on the track. They were both unsure and the manager decided he would call the underwriter as well as a claims rep. I told them they are HPDE and not timed/competitive events (i.e not racing).

so after a few hours the manager called me back and said that because my track days are not racing events that they would indeed cover me.. My current insurance provider (progressive) does not, and im up for renewal next month. So I jumped on here, and have seen a few posts stating state farm does NOT cover track days.. Im not sure who to believe and don't want to go with them and then get shafted if something ever did happen on track..

What do you guys think? Could I possibly get something in writing from them? My rate would go up a bit with state farm and I would be getting no other benefits other than on track protection. I'm just not sure they would actually cover me if something ever happened.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
I have heard state farm does and doesn't. I have also heard usaa does and doesn't. everyone else is in the doesn't category. DEFINITELY get it in writing. preferably on your policy and make sure its rewritten every renewal. they are some tricky buggers!

Funny I just got a call from a State Farm agent representing another Boss owner asking me about where to buy track insurance. I referred him to Lockton that others have used, and he was going to refer him to them. I asked him if State Farm would provide coverage to his client and basically the answer is "maybe". He said there's some language about anything happening on a track used for racing not being covered. However, there was also some other language that talked about an event that was not for competition that potentially would be covered. I have another friend who is a State Farm agent and contends they will provide coverage if something happens on a DE day, although no one that I know has had to find out for sure fortunately.

The bottom line is unless you have it in writing from them the answer is "maybe". Unless you purchase track day insurance specifically for an event, I would look at it from the perspective that you better be able to deal with the potential consequences of no coverage.

Tulsa, OK
I have heard the same things, some say yes and some say no, regarding State Farm coverage for track days. I use them to insure my car but have not specifically discussed track day insurance and what would happen if I were to damage my vehicle with my agent. I'm of the same mindset as cloud9. I don't ever purchase specific track day and if something were to happen while on track I am prepared to deal with those consequences if my regular insurance would not cover it.

Cloud 9, I'm also a State Farm agent and I track my cars as well. If there was a claim during a DE and it was reported as such there would not be any coverage provided for that loss. This is case with any reputable auto insurance carrier.

I know of a car that was totaled at a track day and covered by State Farm. I am not saying it will happen every time but it has happened.

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
cloud9 said:
Funny I just got a call from a State Farm agent representing another Boss owner asking me about where to buy track insurance. I referred him to Lockton that others have used, and he was going to refer him to them. I asked him if State Farm would provide coverage to his client and basically the answer is "maybe". He said there's some language about anything happening on a track used for racing not being covered. However, there was also some other language that talked about an event that was not for competition that potentially would be covered. I have another friend who is a State Farm agent and contends they will provide coverage if something happens on a DE day, although no one that I know has had to find out for sure fortunately.

The bottom line is unless you have it in writing from them the answer is "maybe". Unless you purchase track day insurance specifically for an event, I would look at it from the perspective that you better be able to deal with the potential consequences of no coverage.

Gary:

Do you drive with a track policy? Been emailing Lockton....I'm thinking I might just grab a policy for my track days. My brother in law had a Spec car turn into him coming out of turn 10 on the Donneybrooke. Luckily he hadn't really gotten onto a lot of boost otherwise he'd have hit the concrete wall along the drag strip....she hit him just in front of the driver's rear tire. Wrinkled in the sheetmetal pretty good....but everyone was safe. Guess I'd want the insurance to protect me from others.

Wayne

Steelhorse said:
I know of a car that was totaled at a track day and covered by State Farm. I am not saying it will happen every time but it has happened.

True that sorta thing does happen usually how the claim is reported. I was at an event where a Porsche hit the wall and then had it towed from the track and drop at his house and then file a claim asbit happened somewhere else. Anyone can risk it but a $50K loss is too much for me. Weekend event is about $250.

Just a question. Technically you guys aren't racing. true it is on a closed course but you aren't racing in the true sense of the word. Just driving really fast on a road with less cars and no pedestrians or animals. You aren't actually competing against each other. Correct?

drano38

Wayne
I'm with USAA, I called, told them it was HPDE and NOT racing. They said no.
I know a guy who had State Farm, and hit a wall last summer. First they said they'd pay. A few days later they called and said no. He's no longer a State Farm customer.
I get Lockton for BIR since its a higher risk track. Every lap has risk--my mistake or others--but its lower on a flat track with minimal walls to hit.

NewBossowner said:
Just a question. Technically you guys aren't racing. true it is on a closed course but you aren't racing in the true sense of the word. Just driving really fast on a road with less cars and no pedestrians or animals. You aren't actually competing against each other. Correct?

Something like that, racing with no winners or losers. But don't let that fool you because everyone is trying to be as competitive as possible.

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
drano38 said:
I'm with USAA, I called, told them it was HPDE and NOT racing. They said no.
I know a guy who had State Farm, and hit a wall last summer. First they said they'd pay. A few days later they called and said no. He's no longer a State Farm customer.
I get Lockton for BIR since its a higher risk track. Every lap has risk--my mistake or others--but its lower on a flat track with minimal walls to hit.

Good to hear.....My wife and I are also with USAA. After I drove the Donneybrooke last summer she informed me that I wasn't covered while on the track. This time I'll get a policy from Lockton or someone similar. I just saw too many Spec cars spinning out and going off course. Maybe it's something that happens more in the "Novice" group?

Good luck this summer...Enjoy the new surface at BIR...I'm waiting in anticipation myself.

Wayne

I was told that if I was going to drivers safety training then they would cover me, if I was going to improve my track times then they won't. The gray area is HPDE is just to learn how to drive the car at high speed and not in competitive environment ( ahem ), but as you learn, your time decreases and they got ya.

Insurme said:
True that sorta thing does happen usually how the claim is reported. I was at an event where a Porsche hit the wall and then had it towed from the track and drop at his house and then file a claim asbit happened somewhere else. Anyone can risk it but a $50K loss is too much for me. Weekend event is about $250.

This guy was honest with State Farm. They covered the car do to it being a Driving School event and not racing. I am guessing he was lucky. I personally would not risk it.

TMO Supporting Vendors