The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Data Dilemma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcmmotorsports

Resident Mental Patient
So I need some advice. I was going to sell my complete TraqDash set up with the GoPro 2 camera. I was then going to pick up an AiM solo for my track day timing duties and just bought a GoPro 3 with the Wi-Fi to activate with my cell phone.. However, I just figured out a pretty cool way to mount the TraqDash in the Boss for track days. I can swap out my panavise cell phone mount with the TraqDash as needed. So, what should I do? Keep my current set up or sell it for $1500 and go with the other For a total investment of about 700?
The TraqMate software is, in my opinion, far superior to the AiM stuff and I can have really cool gauge overlays on my videos. ;)

Thoughts?

salt_2-600x398.jpg

Well, if you like the Traqmate software better, didn't you answer your own question? I am curious about why you think that, though. Anyway, if you want the AiM to gain back some cash, I can tell you that I mount mine on a cellphone/GPS type mount. It takes two minutes to setup for a track day and I love it. My full review at this link:

http://www.jimmypribble.com/blog/2012/12/review-aim-solo-dl/

Good luck! Let us know what you do.

Jimmy

Thanks for the review Jimmy. I was wondering what channels would work between ECU and Solo DL, and you answered my question in your blog.

To the original poster: can't you use RaceRender or something like that to merge data and video together?

mcmmotorsports

Resident Mental Patient
I do appreciate your input guys. If the AiM Solo DL is the recommended option, then I will probably stay with the TraqMate.
I prefer the TraqMate software simply for its ease of use and simplicity. The AiM seemed a little too complicated. I am sure like anything else, I could get used to it. I think "far superior" was a little harsh in my description above. I retract that statement. 8)
I will let you know what I end up doing. First track event in the new car is a week from Monday at NJMP.
Sticking with the TraqMate will allow me to compare my laps from the last time I ran there in my BMW Spec E30 race car.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I just ordered the TraqDash Complete which I'll pair up with my 'old' GoPro Hero. Video quality has always been good enough for me with that unit, and for this purpose it's more than adequate.

mcmmotorsports said:
I do appreciate your input guys. If the AiM Solo DL is the recommended option, then I will probably stay with the TraqMate.
I prefer the TraqMate software simply for its ease of use and simplicity. The AiM seemed a little too complicated. I am sure like anything else, I could get used to it. I think "far superior" was a little harsh in my description above. I retract that statement. 8)
I will let you know what I end up doing. First track event in the new car is a week from Monday at NJMP.
Sticking with the TraqMate will allow me to compare my laps from the last time I ran there in my BMW Spec E30 race car.

All good, mate. I don't have a dog in this fight, just genuinely interested in the subject. I wondered if "ease of use" is what you would say. I criticize AiM for the same reason. I love the almost infinite flexibility, but it is inexcusable to not build an interface with nice GUI and a couple of "quick overview" screens to help the 90% of folks who don't want to trudge up the steep learning curve. It's just a database for gosh sake. They could build any kind of interface they wanted. One could be AiM Bullseye™ Quick Target Data for overview information and the other could be the current AiM Never Ending Race Data (N.E.R.D.™) interface they have now. ;)

I do admire the TraqMate system for its nice integration with video and for their support of grassroots racing. It's a good product and a good company (from what I hear).

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel