The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Day at Thunderhill 9-25-11

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here's a few photos of my first track day in my Boss at Thunderhill Raceway Park outside Willows CA. I attended the Hooked on Driving event and had a great time (of course). They really ran a tight program and provided a lot of instruction for first timers like me. I got hooked up with a coach that knows how to drive flat out. I got along with him very well and he drove with me all five sessions. He also took me out in his track prepped Z06 and that car can fly.

My Boss ran well and only one car could keep up with me on the straights in my run group. My favorite part of the day was passing a guy driving a new Porsche Carrera GTS, several times, and my coach had taught him the previous day. ;) My car was mostly stock with DOT 4 fluid, the brake cooling duct kit, and trans cooling scoop. I experienced a bit of brake fade during my last two sessions when I was pushing the car harder so a brake pad upgrade will be in order before my next track day.

Something I never thought I'd do: drive my Boss in the rain on purpose and drive my Boss in the rain at a track event. I'm glad I got that out of the way early. ;D
IMG_0534.jpg

Heading out to the starting grid with my coach.
P1020545.jpg
P1020546.jpg

My coach's track prepped Z06 with roll bar, six point harnesses, Stoptech brakes, CCW wheels, and R compound tires. This thing was bad a$$.
P1020573.jpg
P1020574.jpg

Out on the track when it was dry.
P1020615.jpg

And my pit crew at Subway on our way home.
IMG_0549.jpg

My son's favorite car at the event: a Ferrari F430 Scuderia Spider. Only 499 of these were made. Nice.
P1020641.jpg

rmaginnis said:
Sounds like a great day despite the rain. What wheels and tires are you running? 18" all around?

Rick
The stock Pirelli P Zero's on the 19x9 and 19x10 SVT PP Ford Racing wheels. The Pirelli's worked much better in the rain than I expected. BTW I ran with the nanny on all day, no way was I turning it off in the rain.

Welcome to BMO, good to see you over here.

Yes it did clear up. The first session was raining with wipers on and windows down. :mad: Talk about pucker power...I was not digging running in the rain. And I was surprised how fast I went considering how wet it was. With the nanny on the car didn't get too squirley in the corners and was fine in a straight line. The second session was wet buy drying out and no rain. The other three sessions were dry and pedal to the metal.

GA
5 DOT 0 said:
PJWANNABE said:
Very cool! Thunderhill is on my bucket list.
There is a LOT of elevation change there, much more than any video can show.

Cool. The elevation changes at Road Atlanta are a lot steeper than they look in the videos too. I can't wait until the new Atlanta Motorsports Park opens- it looks really challenging.

http://www.atlantamotorsportspark.net/track_overview.shtml

AMPtrack.jpg

Jza1736 said:
Yes but only with the Optional LS snow plow
For those of you thinking about the LS splitter who are beginners or novices you should think again. This is the second LS I've seen or read about in the past week that got off course and did serious damage to the front end. My crack pit spy (son) took this photo. The guilty party is holding the helmet...

P1020697.jpg

I did a track day with the NorCal Shelby club today and had a great time. There were some really fast 1st gen and Fox body Mustangs out there. I have some video and I'll try and get that posted later this week. Here's a few photos:

Waiting on pit lane with my race car with a license plate ;)
P1020693.jpg

Out on track
MU0X1719.jpg
MU0X0498.jpg
MU0X0946.jpg
MU0X0838.jpg

My pit crew getting ready to wave the checkered flag for a run group and him looking at more ways to spend my money. ;D
P1020692.jpg
P1020710.jpg

The Boss splitter is a little more flexable but if it did get caught on something off track it would also rip off. Far less damage would occur but still the way it is bolted up the same parts would need replacement. Minus the center section would make less to catch but the sides could get caught up on something.

GA
Looks like you had a blast, Rick. I wish I could just take off and head out west in late November. HOD has dates for Thunder Hill, LS, and Infineon all close enough together so that I could hit all 3. Just a matter of vacation time and money, as usual.

I am heading out to Roebling Road on Friday, but it is boring in comparison- flat and all sweeping turns. I just want the decal for my back window. ;)
I guess it will be a good warm-up to get the feel of the new car. I just turned over 1,000 miles today. ;D

IMG00347.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors