The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Day attire?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sesshomurai

Hey guys,
I'm having my first track day (2 day event) in a couple weeks. Wanted some tips on what to wear.
Since I'm a track noob (but by no means a car noob) I probably don't want anything
professional like a race suit or anything like that.

Just looking for tips on comfortable attire or suitable wear gear. My thought was to wear lighter,looser
fighting clothes for comfortability, but maybe that's not the right approach.

Thanks!

Many HPDE events require you to wear cotton clothing including long sleeve shirts. Synthetic fabrics can melt to your skin instantly so they are not recommended. Many also require leather shoes and gloves as well. Have fun!

drano38

Wayne
+1 on Rick's reply.
I always were 100% cotton long sleeve shirt and pants even if the event doesn't require it.
I have no desire for synthetics melting to me in the fire l hope never happens.

Sesshomurai

Cool. Thanks. I guess I will wear cotton sweatpants and long sleeve shirt (black of course) and leather crosstrainer shows.

Another way to look at getting a racing suit:

1. Usually incorporates Nomex for better fire protection
2. Easy to wear shorts and a light t-shirt under, which is nice for cooling off between runs.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Don't forget a pair of Depends, in case you go into a couple of corners too deep, ha.

Seriously , make sure your shoes have a flat sole , your really don't want a patterned shoe, especially if your cross trainer has deep grooves.

Wear cotton pants and long sleeve shirt, but have a spare set of clothes too. You can switch to shorts (or Tactikilts which are getting popular ;D), a T shirt and a brimmed hat between runs to keep cool. Wear water proof sun screen, I use Banana Boat Children's 50 spf it is good stuff though it goes on thick so you have to wait 5 min then rub off the excess with a towel. My skin is colored like Carrot Top's and I put it on in the morning and don't get any burn even on 110+ degree sunny days without need for any re-apply. You didn't say where you are going with, but chances are you will spend 1.5-2 hours on track and most of the rest of the day outside. And most of the tracks I am familiar with are in areas that get really hot even before taking into account the heat from the track surface.

There are a couple threads about what to do on your first track day, so I won't give more unsolicited advice other than the sun screen and to say bring a LOT of water and take a nap if you need to. I have seen a few people pass out from heat and dehydration on the track and writing off your $45k car is least of your worries at that point. Also on Sunday, if you are dog tired by the end, you can leave early. Yeah you lose a bit of money by skipping a run or even two, but like I said passing out or even just losing concentration on the track is really bad. The most accidents seem to happen first run on Saturday and last two on Sunday.

And have fun. That is the whole point. Don't worry about passing Porsches, that is more of a 2nd track weekend thing ;D

Where are you going? One of us may be there.

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
Hospital scrubs over a pair of shorts works real well in the FL HEAT. ;) then again I just run with shorts in FL in the summer with most groups. :)

Peter

OLOABoss said:
Hospital scrubs over a pair of shorts works real well in the FL HEAT. ;) then again I just run with shorts in FL in the summer with most groups. :)

Peter

Ha, glad you admitted it first. I normally wear jeans but have gone out in shorts a few times. With all the guys running the red key on the street it looks like CARB was right and going warming has finally taken over and going to kill the earth! It's been a hot summer here this year.

Far as I know Trackguys is the only group that make us wear long sleeve shirts here.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Bring extra clothes , but your best bet is jeans and a long sleeve shirt, as , frankly , very few groups allow shorts on a track throughout the US. I have instructed for BMW, Porsche, SCCA, Acura, Corvette Clubs, as well as frequently at two tracks for initial instruction and track layout, and none of them allow shorts on track, and only in a few cases will allow short sleeve shirts.

Best bet, of course, if you get serious , is to just buy a driving suit, as mentioned earlier. Currently you should heed the one guy who said at present the best track attire is just a smile -- go have fun!!!

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
A couple of non-cloting comments:

Unless you like to overpay for bottled water you may want to bring some in a cooler w/ice ;D You will need to drink A LOT of water, if it's at your side you tend to drink as you should. If you have to pay for it we all tend not to. I usually try to dring 6 to 8 small bottles per event day. Just make sure you know where the restrooms are ::)

Also, you are probably going to be sweating like the devil between the heat and an adrenaline level that will be sky high. One inexpensive and valuable asset is a cotton head sock. It will wick a lot of the sweat from your forehead before it gets into your eyes. This is not a necessity by any means but it's inexpensive and a good addition to have on your maiden flights.

Have a blast !

Sesshomurai

Thanks for all the great tips guys. I'll be at the Mustang HPDE track event at Summit Point on August 11,12.

TMO Supporting Vendors