The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Day issues - "Service Advancetrac and Hill Start Assist"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was running at Daytona this weekend with HOD. Three different times during the weekend, the car gave two warnings that always occurred together: "Service AdvanceTrac" and "Hill Start Assist not available".

The first two times were while on the track. The car immediately goes from track mode to normal mode, which is quite disconcerting at 160mph. Car felt more like a Lincoln Town Car than a Daytona Prototype. The third time was at initial startup while heading for the grid.

All three times, the error would go away after a restart and driving around for about a mile in the infield at slow speeds.

The only reference I found to similar symptoms was from some Boss302 owners saying that the banked oval affected the body control sensors. They claimed it was fixed when using the TrackKey. I thought that might have been similar to mine, since the first time it occurred was while my wife was driving in Sport mode, but it happened twice more after that in Track Mode.

It's going to be difficult to take to the dealer and try to explain an intermittent problem that, so far, has only occurred at 160mph on a 37 degree banked track.

Any ideas?

Stig is driving a GT350. To add what Tracy mentioned call Ford Performance.

It is normal at Daytona to have this happen. I found it happening coming into the Bus Stop. I needs to turn every thing off by going to track mode and then holding TC button down for 5+ sec until everything turns off. I also had fuel starvation issues on the banking when I got down to 1/2 tank.

Peter

I called Ford Performance this morning. The techs didn't have any insight, but said that they would talk to the engineers and call me back. I'll definitely keep this thread updated.

I thought that it possibly had something to do with the Ford Performance lowering springs that I installed before the event, thought that it might have freaked out the Magneride calibration. But it sounds like it's a more common problem than I initially thought.

Good to see you again. Just thought of this — Did you try running with ASC off?

The Boss would re-engage ASC of it thought the car was well out of control. Maybe the high banks at Daytona are causing a similar issue. I ran ASC off all 3 days with no mode issue, but the high banks did cause fuel starvation at between 1/4-1/2 tank.

I'm having the same symptoms with my 350 at autocross, but I wonder if maybe the cause is two totally different things. No banking at autocross...

I always run ASC fully off (I never tried the unplugging of the jumper because I didn't know about it until after my season was over, doh) and it still turns itself back on and goes from track mode to normal mode which is pretty disconcerting even at ~45 mph.

I didn't try with the ASC off. My wife wasn't comfortable enough for that, so I still would have had the issues. I haven't heard anything from Ford Performance yet. I might try calling again tomorrow.

Fuel starvation is normal at Daytona, stay above 1/2-3/4 full. I had the systems freak out at Daytona (and I'm slow) in Nascar 3, rode the session out and it went away. I only have the choice of off or sport and I was in sport. I have had it turn it self on it before in very quick transitions. It seems if you peg the g-meter (a fast left/right-with curbs thrown in for good measure) it will do it. I think the GT350's have a much more open minded programming than the GT's so you may have had a pick up of rubber on one of the abs sensors. My theory is it momentarily has a mis-count and throws up its arms because it cant protect you. The rear sensors can also be effected due to loading if any rear bearing play exists.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel