The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Day Oil Change Timing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Irvine, CA
My Boss is due for an oil change (over 5,000 miles of mixed driving, the OLM system shows about 20% life left) and I have a track day this upcoming weekend.
Ford recommends changing oil after tracking, so should I just wait and change the oil after the event or change it before (and after?) to protect the engine during (and after) tracking?
Hope that made sense.
Thanks!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I've never heard *that* before! I'd love to hear why they make that recommendation.

I use mine for short trips, so I figure I have a fair amount of fuel dilution at the beginning of my SoCal 'track season'. I always change before that to have clean and contaminant free oil. Just changed mine on the GT "FakeR" and did the Boss back in May before going to Streets of Willow.

edit:
And the oil life timer is for 1 year or X mileage (can't remember how much) whichever comes first. Mine goes off every year in October because I don't put a lot of mileage in. I don't reset the meter if I do a mid-year change.

Last edited:
I change my oil after three track days and some street driving. My car just turned 7.000 miles and I’ve changed the oil four times including after the initial 1,000 mile break in period. I’m doing 5-6 track days a year and will change the diff and trans fluids at the end of the year. I change it once a year regardless of the mileage.

I change my oil after three track days and some street driving. My car just turned 7.000 miles and I’ve changed the oil four times including after the initial 1,000 mile break in period. I’m doing 5-6 track days a year and will change the diff and trans fluids at the end of the year. I change it once a year regardless of the mileage.

From the Boss 302S Owners Manual

Engine Oil

Motorcraft 5W-50 Full Synthetic XO-5W50-QGT
Replace every 4 hours on-track usage
The recommended oil level is the bottom of the crosshatching of the dipstick (approximately 14 quarts)

Oil Filter

Oil Filter, Wix Racing 51268R
Replace every 4 hours of on-track usage
Regularly check the catch can for oil located on the passenger side rear of the engine compartment.

TMO Supporting Vendors