The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Day Setup Koni/H&R Initial Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isrboss

Thanks for the write up OP! I agree with Grant, I think I would work on front grip first. I got a Whiteline BFF24Z front sway because it is adj. down to near the 385lbs/in the 2005-10(OE+0%, OE+14%, OE+32%, OE+53%). So the next to softest will bring you very close to our front factory bar, just in case softer is not better. I like this bar for the reason of adding front spring rate and lowering the bar rate some. Plus they are dirt cheap from vendors now, like 170 something.

I did decide to go in a different direction than this as I was thinking I might earlier. I ended up finding a smoking deal on some Eibach coil overs with spring rates real close to what I was wanting. Thanks again and the car looks great.

isrboss said:
Thanks for the write up OP! I agree with Grant, I think I would work on front grip first. I got a Whiteline BFF24Z front sway because it is adj. down to near the 385lbs/in the 2005-10(OE+0%, OE+14%, OE+32%, OE+53%). So the next to softest will bring you very close to our front factory bar, just in case softer is not better. I like this bar for the reason of adding front spring rate and lowering the bar rate some. Plus they are dirt cheap from vendors now, like 170 something.

I did decide to go in a different direction than this as I was thinking I might earlier. I ended up finding a smoking deal on some Eibach coil overs with spring rates real close to what I was wanting. Thanks again and the car looks great.

Yeah, not increasing the rear stiffness seems to be the general consensus. I am going to try another track event with this setup (tighter course) and see how I like it.

Awesome on the Eibach coilovers. I have seen a couple good deals on coilovers, just trying to keep it a bit more simple for the moment.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
jnathan68 said:
Yeah, not increasing the rear stiffness seems to be the general consensus. I am going to try another track event with this setup (tighter course) and see how I like it.

Awesome on the Eibach coilovers. I have seen a couple good deals on coilovers, just trying to keep it a bit more simple for the moment.

Well, I am also in favor of trying out mods or parts that are already in-hand. :) Trying the 22mm bar is still a good idea from the R&D side of things...just to know how it works.

Grant 302 said:
Well, I am also in favor of trying out mods or parts that are already in-hand. :) Trying the 22mm bar is still a good idea from the R&D side of things...just to know how it works.

What is the Ford Racing sway bar that comes in the kit? I think it is 20 or 22, after talking with the techs at Racers Edge I have decided to go with an 18MM bar.

YellowBoss said:
What is the Ford Racing sway bar that comes in the kit? I think it is 20 or 22, after talking with the techs at Racers Edge I have decided to go with an 18MM bar.

I actually picked up a 22mm Ford Racing sway bar on eBay for cheap. Right now the car has the H&R race springs in the rear, which I was told were 385 lbs and a Ford OEM 20mm rear bar from a pre-2010 GT. I had thought about the 18mm bar.

I going to agree with Grant. Your problem is your front roll center is now near or below ground. With the car that low you are going to need some roll center correcting front control arms/ ball joints.

By stiffing the rear of the car to help the car rotate you are reducing the rear grip threshold. You will be able to make the car more neutral but your total grip level (and lap times) will be reduced. If you go to stiff in the rear, then snap oversteer becomes a issue.

BossJockey said:
I going to agree with Grant. Your problem is your front roll center is now near or below ground. With the car that low you are going to need some roll center correcting front control arms/ ball joints.

By stiffing the rear of the car to help the car rotate you are reducing the rear grip threshold. You will be able to make the car more neutral but your total grip level (and lap times) will be reduced. If you go to stiff in the rear, then snap oversteer becomes a issue.

Based on feedback and research, not disagreeing. For the moment, I am going to keep the setup as is and when I am ready for the next step, either swap to different springs or go with front roll center correction and an adjustable front sway bar to work on balance.

IMO don't install them. I now own jnathan68's car and I was really hoping I'd like the springs but I just don't. They suck on the street and they're no better than the P's on the track, IMO. They make the car LOOK better, that's it. The kitty litter scoop gets banged on all kinds of imperfections at speed when you don't have total control of spring compression. Granted, I do have 18's on the car so it is very low.

I have a set of Ford Racing P's in the box in the garage and they're going on there.

isrboss said:
Thanks for the write up OP! I agree with Grant, I think I would work on front grip first. I got a Whiteline BFF24Z front sway because it is adj. down to near the 385lbs/in the 2005-10(OE+0%, OE+14%, OE+32%, OE+53%). So the next to softest will bring you very close to our front factory bar, just in case softer is not better.
Just curious where you got the data on the swaybar. It's hard to find good data on swaybars. Thanks.

sys999 said:
Chart for Whiteline sway bars at link below:

[pdf]http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/bulletins/BL-281.pdf[/pdf]
I don't think one can insert pdfs into a post. Having seen the BL-281 bulletin (http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/bulletins/BL-281.pdf), it compares solid sway bars (like the Whiteline sways) with solid sway bars. I also didn't see those specific percentages from isrboss's post (OE+0%, OE+14%, OE+32%, OE+53%) on that chart. I wonder if there is something else out there from Whiteline or maybe someone on the interwebs has tested the spring rates of various sway bars. Since the BFF24Z and other Whiteline bars are solid, I wouldn't think they would be so soft at slightly smaller outside diameters. Just wondering.

shipdriver said:
I don't think one can insert pdfs into a post. Having seen the BL-281 bulletin (http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/bulletins/BL-281.pdf), it compares solid sway bars (like the Whiteline sways) with solid sway bars. I also didn't see those specific percentages from isrboss's post (OE+0%, OE+14%, OE+32%, OE+53%) on that chart. I wonder if there is something else out there from Whiteline or maybe someone on the interwebs has tested the spring rates of various sway bars. Since the BFF24Z and other Whiteline bars are solid, I wouldn't think they would be so soft at slightly smaller outside diameters. Just wondering.

Don't be mislead by the hollow vs solid deal, just because a bar is solid, does not mean it is stiffer, check the specs. I personally like hollow bars, but once you get real small, of course they can no longer be made hollow.

TMO Supporting Vendors