The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Day Solutions Goes Digital !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
TDS_logo.png

For the last 18 months I have been developing and prototyping a data acquisition and telemetry product for those who use in-car data to monitor the status and performance of their track cars, be it in HPDE events, Time Trials or Wheel-to-Wheel racing. The baseline digital systems designs have been completed, with a number of 'modules' tested that can be combined to create a number of similar but varied products - from data logging only to full real time telemetry - from ODB-II only monitoring to a system that can integrate with your AIM or MOTEC data acquisition system and every analog sensor you could possibly install in your car. I have some decisions to make on version 1.0, and I'd like your feedback to help me move forward.

If you are a serious user of data acquisition products in your track car or plan to adopt a solution in the near future, please take my survey at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JDH8HY9. If you have any questions on the product please post them here and I'll be happy to answer all that I can at this time.

A short synopsis of the system capabilities is as follows:

Model DT-1 Overview
• General
o System acquires multiple data elements avail through sensors and/or various systems, logs the data for offline analysis as well as makes the data available in real-time though a wireless connection to one or more users in the pit area.
o Monitors upper and lower bounds of various data elements as well as compares them to defined “alarm point” values. Examples:
• Display the maximum coolant temperature as well as signal a visible alarm if a predetermined temperature point is reached for at least 1 second
• Display the current fuel level as a % value as well as signal a visible alarm if a predetermined low fuel level is met
o Real-time graphs of multiple selected data elements supported

• Data Types Supported
o Monitor selected channels of OBD-II “standard PID” data such as RPM, Speed, Coolant Temp, etc. (data available varies by make and year of vehicle).
o Monitor up to 8 channels of analog data signals from your AIM or Motec system (or any 5 volt peak analog data signal source)
o Monitor up to additional 6 channels of analog data in either the 5 volt peak or 15 volt peak range
o Frequency counter for up to 2 channels of analog pulse signals (square wave signals).
o Monitor G forces in the X, Y and Z coordinates
o Logs GPS location data (Use of the data at the receiving end is to be determined. Real time track map location support is under investigation)

• Data Logging Capability
o All data supported is logged to an on-board SD memory card using a standard CSV file format (compatible with MS-EXCEL)
o Logging sample times available:
• 4 samples/minute (every 15 seconds)
• 12 samples/minute (every 5 seconds)
• 1 sample/second
• “Free Running” – supports as many samples per second as possible (sample speed varies by the number of data types being monitored, ODB-II connection speed, SD card speed, etc.)

• Data Telemetry
o All data is transmitted to the web enabled receiver is at 1 sample/second

Thanks !
Pete @ TDS

This looks interesting, good luck!

TMO Supporting Vendors