The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track day with TVS.......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I still have these rims and tires I bought for a possible track day with the Stang.
I kind of gave up on the idea and put the stuff up for sale, but no takers, so I'm back
to possibly giving it a go.

Car as it stands

14 GT, auto, Roush Phs 3 TVS
rear Roush upper/lower control arms
Whiteline adj front and rear sways (otherwsie stock GT susp).
Couple of lightweight items up front, saving about 60lbs
18 X 10 wheels with 305/35R18 NT01's (all 4).

I'm wondering if this thing will be enough to keep the blower and AIT's happy.
I would only be going (NJMP) in early spring or late fall, so the lowest outside temps possible.

https://www.vmpperformance.com/VMP-...t-Exchanger-for-Mustang-05-18-GT500-5.0L-GT_5

and was also wondering if anyone has ever thought to use the Roush water to air IC
for an oil cooler? (since I already own that and may be able to fit it with VMP IC).
I am also open to replacing shocks/struts with something adjustable, but really don't
want springs or to be lowered.

Have you run your car on track before? If not take it out as is and see how it does and then develop your cooling strategy from there. Your trans might overheat before the engine.

And that is just supportive therapy, not a cure. I track a 2013 GT500 with stock power and cooling. The only time I have cooling issues is in the hottest part of summer, spring and fall are good to go. It also took me a while to be pushing it hard enough to have any issues at all.

Just go do it, then figure out what you need.

Have you run your car on track before? If not take it out as is and see how it does and then develop your cooling strategy from there. Your trans might overheat before the engine.

No, just a Fusion Sport 3 times and an EVO8 once. Good point on the trans, I was more concentrating on the engine.

Be very careful....Track Fever may develop......There is no known cure...............only remedy is more track tyme.......................

Sort of already did, that's why I'm considering taking my "drag" car out on a course.
Thought it might be fun (or a disaster maybe :))

And that is just supportive therapy, not a cure. I track a 2013 GT500 with stock power and cooling. The only time I have cooling issues is in the hottest part of summer, spring and fall are good to go. It also took me a while to be pushing it hard enough to have any issues at all.

Just go do it, then figure out what you need.

Good info thanks.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
I've run at NJMP and Pocono with my NA 14 with 6R80 (stock converter) while manual shifting and the trans definitely overheated to about 230 when I keep the RPMs up. Even in March and September. Engine Oil Temp was touching red on the center electronic gauge. I added a Setrab 72 row engine oil cooler behind the upper grill and a Derale 15 row trans cooler behind the lower grill in series with the stock trans cooler. Trans doesn't go above 195 now. Still have to install a real oil temp gauge but it stays in the upper green or lower yellow now.

And talk to your tuner about possibly adjusting the lock-up points on your converter.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
I do Track Days with a Roush TVS on my '14 MT82 and I'm using the same heat exchanger. Just after I bought it I learned about the downside of having fans for road course duty and removed them.

http://departmentofboost.com/tech/fans_heat_exchanger.htm

I haven't noticed any problems at all with IAT's but did throw a P1299 code (cyl. head overtemp) and went into limp mode once when it was 104° at Thunderhill last August. I'm hoping that the addition of an oil cooler, hood vents, and switching to E85 will fix that.

6R80 transmission temps might be an issue for you too?

TMO Supporting Vendors