The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TRACK DAY!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guys I brought my BOSS (CO/Recaros) to a local track day (HPDE) this weekend, and the car just screams! It was my first track event ever so nothing to really compare it too but I drove it as hard as I could and had no issues. I drove it between 5-7.5k RPM around the entire track (2.1 miles) and rode the breaks HARD into the corners...not a single issue. Although I did do some serious "damage" on the tires, they are a bit rounded off now..lol It really drove perfectly and was easy for a 1st timer to handle....and did I mention it just SCREAMED down the straight aways?? :)

Best thing was while everybody else was loading up their track cars onto trailers, i loaded up my trunk and drove it 3.5 hrs home. :) Oh, and I did buy "Trackwrap" for the front end so not a single scratch, bug, or chip! still looks new...except for those tires and I think, based on the amount of break dust and smell of burning break pads, I may need a new set of pads pretty soon..lol

overall, AWESOME car, AWESOME time, I plan on doing another HPDE event in Charlotte on July 2-3rd.

Sorry I spelled it wrong... it's tracwrap it is really pretty expensive though $99 for 1 8"x40' piece which was EXACTLY enough to do the front end, 2 strips across the front of the hood, side mirrors, the pillars, and one strip across the roof right above the windshield. I did not put any on the black stickers on the hood...it says you can but I don't trust that!

There are other cheaper versions of the same stuff but this stuff is 7mil, vs. 2mil, so much thicker. They said that 2 mil won't protect against rock chips, but 7 mil will??? i'm not sure but I do know the front end looks new still. It peeled right off and didn't leave any sticky residue. I did see some people using Blue Painters tape, but its not that thick either.

It was a Carolina Motorsports Park in Kershaw SC (about 1 hr south of Charlotte).

Cool. What if anything did you do to prep your Boss for the track?

okay so this is probably not too good....but I did NOTHING. I figured being my 1st time I was not going to be driving it anywhere near the boundries of the car so I left it 100% the way I got it from the dealer.

next time I plan on changing to high perf brake fluid and maybe take off the brake dust shields (if i can figure that out, shouldn't be too complicated I wouldn't think), but that's probably about it. I want to keep it stock so I don't want to put in the brake ducts.

Any other suggestions of what I should do to better prepare it??

I left everything on seeing it was my first time tracking a car, I didn't want to push it......yet :) I'm going to go to another HPDE weekend on July 2-3 in Charlotte so maybe I'll put it in sport mode then.

TMO Supporting Vendors