The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Decibel Levels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Our main track here in Chile just went from 95 to 90 db.... I hope this trend does not continue much longer or we will have to go electric!! With your cat delete pipes you must be well over 95db now.

Well I guess your are not going to drive down here to Chile...... just wanted to vent..... Oh, I think I saw that track days at Laguna Seca are 90db as well??? Go figure..... Have to find a track in the middle of the desert...... Like Willow Springs!

from 90db to 2013db seem to be the range and Lime Rock may be 87db. Best way is go to the specific track you are interested in running and check.

Peter

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Different tracks are rated differently, so that's a factor. There are different weightings on the DB meter and different amount of feet from the track and sound is often taken on different sides of the track and in different places such as coming out of a turn or on a straight away or up a hill like laguna which makes it even harder to pass. With that being said, Sonoma is 103 db taken from the Left side of the track. Thunderhill is 103 (not sure which side of the track they meter from) and Laguna Seca varies by event but typically is 90 db and taken from the right side of the track. None of those tracks have been able to tell me @ what distance they measure from. If I remember correctly, most use the "C" Scale on the meter rather than S (SAE). Oval tracks also vary but they always tell you how many feet from the track they are measuring. Street legal used to be 82db @ 50 feet taken at a 45* angle. Not sure what it is these days, but back in the day that's what it was. My home Oval track is 82db @ 50 feet, so I've been dealing with sound on race cars since 1982. An aside is that the sound measured is everything in the car, not just the exhaust. Fan noise, gear whine, wind noise, vibrating panels etc. all add up with the exhaust note , so keep that in mind.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel