The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Track GT500 Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Job #2 CFTP cars (2020CY) builds come with camber plates installed, but they have 3 lockout screws from the factory, that need to be removed to change from street to track camber. Strut has to be dropped 1-2” to get access to the 3 set screws. Again not difficult, but tedious as you have to sequentially lower side to side to eliminate sway bay pre-load:
View attachment 15953

Beautiful. Race Red looks so damn good on these cars, I'm jealous.

Just curious regarding the quote above - do you have any documentation regarding the statement you made about Job2 CFTP cars coming with the plates installed (also wondering if "Handling Package" cars will have the plates installed as well)? My Job1 Handling Package car didn't come with them installed but I installed them myself. Wondering if there is any factory literature that speaks to removing the lockout screws as well. If you have any of that could you please post it up, it would be greatly appreciated.

And something you may want to check on. There is a large diameter coolant hose on the driver side of the supercharger that runs fore aft. Look very closely at the firewall, under the STB. Ford has been pinching this hose between a pointed fastener that runs forward through the firewall and the supercharger case. The hose needs to be released and lowered down into its "cradle." Again, it is very hard to see. You have to remove the STB to correct the issue.

20200223_152414-L.jpg

And here it is released and in position in the cradle.

20200223_153507-L.jpg

@Tob Yes, I believe Job #2 Handling pack cars come with camber plates installed. Documentation is in development.

My car had the coolant hose issue, which I fixed right after delivery.

@GB899 The car is an absolute blast on track. More updates to come, but it’s thirsty on track (note miles to empty after a single 30 minute session):

907F0C8D-946E-46BD-B54A-27F5C41BB7B2.jpeg

@Tob Yes, I believe Job #2 Handling pack cars come with camber plates installed. Documentation is in development.

My car had the coolant hose issue, which I fixed right after delivery.

Thank you and looking forward to hearing anything else about what the factory is doing regarding the plates. They have been all over the map regarding content/installation responsibility and any clarity would certainly help. My car has everything done to it now but it was a bit of a bumpy road acquiring everything that was supposed to come with the car.

Glad to see you nipped the hose issue in the bud. I tried to get through to Flat Rock to talk to somebody about it but got the cold shoulder and ceased all effort there. I tried but nobody wanted to hear about it.

Looking forward to seeing you upgrade. I love this car and can't get enough of the DCT. It is uber aggressive in Sport and Track with shotgun blasts at every up/downshift. Much more of a beast than the GT350 in my book. Glad to see you get one.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Great thread. Beautiful car! Best of luck on your project and track time.

Not sure that downsized aftermarket brakes with 18” wheels would cope with the weight of this car. My experience with switching from OE to AP brakes on the GT350 was that braking performance was about the same, but with a significant weight reduction and the opportunity to run 18” wheels. The GT500 brakes and rotors are way bigger than the GT350. There’s also the question of maintaining F/R bias and ABS tuning.

You may want to check out the BlueBy You Racing GT500 that is being modified by Cortex for American Endurance Racing events. In the first minute, the video talks about going to the AP racing brakes used on the FP350S and 18" wheels.

Here's a video, not the fastest lap, although the traffic gives some perspective. (Working with Racelogic to fix the CAN Bus channels).

I was there with Chin, great event as always, but the track went from Awful to poor in terms of grip, not having been used for 7 months.

Still learning the car, but initial impressions exceeded my expectations. Acceleration is spectacular, the Transmission is flawless in Track Auto mode and the Brakes are fantastic, with no fade late in a session, even using the OE (Brembo) pads. I looked at the brake traces and this 4100lb car brakes as well as my 3300lb Race car with AP Brakes, race ABS and Pagid Pads -- a huge achievement!

There were a couple of well driven GT3RS' at the track, and this car was very evenly matched. It's better under braking and the medium-higher speed corners, but losses a little in the slow stuff -- although that may be me still learning the car.

Mid Ohio is not a power track, I fully expect the car to be even stronger, at its next venue: Road America over July 4th weekend :)

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
I’m now up to date with progress on the car. Got the Recaro seats and trim out yesterday and started the Watson Roll Bar install (lighter Cromoly version). Need to finish up install, set track alignment, install data/video capture systems and load up.

Leaving for Pitt Race and Mid Ohio tonight!

Nick, Thanks for sharing! Any lessons learned on cleanly installing the Watson Roll Bar? I'm concerned with aligning the rear part of the bars with holes that are needed to be cut into the factory seat delete.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Jet one.

I installed a Watson bar in my 350R a couple months back. I sourced a second rear seat delete from a Mustang salvage yard so I could keep the original whole.

To assist in make the holes once, I made a template out of cardboard and fit the bard to the opening and then made holes for the down tubes. Use the two upper holes where the panel bolts in for reference. Start small with the tube holes. Once I had the hole where I wanted, I transferred this to the delete panel. Cut the holes small, chip away at the backing and leave the "Carpet" like material in the hole as much as possible. This will close back on the tube if left in place. Looks great.

Hope this helps.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
initial impressions is they have less slop than thr Sparco sliders I have on the race car.
I thought I was the only one, thanks for that link. Curious to hear how it holds up after a weekend of hard usage.

Nick, Thanks for sharing! Any lessons learned on cleanly installing the Watson Roll Bar? I'm concerned with aligning the rear part of the bars with holes that are needed to be cut into the factory seat delete.
Good advice from @TMSBOSS
I copied the dimensions from my GT350R, but the car to car variation led me to have to enlarge the LHS hole. Not a huge deal, but not as neat as I would like.

Also be wary of the instructions for cutting that panel at the forward corner. In my case the only relief need was a small semi circle about 3.5” back from the leading edge.

I did not modify the quarter panels. Just removed them for future use. With Race seats in you can’t see that area much and the plastic clips are prone to breaking.

Finally got to service the GT500 and prep it for the next trip to Road America over July 4th weekend.

Oil Change is 11.5 qts. Same cartridge filter as the later GT350's

Transmission fluid lasts for ever and is tough to re-fill accurately. Don't bother for a long time! Diff Fluid every 10 hours or so.

Front Brake pads were done after 4.7 track hours. Lots of taper -- more than 3mm at the top, where the wear marker is and just over 1m at the bottom. That said the pads are huge and this wear rate is way better than the GT350 on stock pads. I got thru a set of OE pads on the GT350R at VIR in 2 hours.

Front calipers have the same attachment to the hub as the 350, but are bigger and heavier. Pads are retained with 4 screws each side. Replacement pads come with SS heat shields and have adhesive on the piston side. Inner and Outer are marked to ensure the wear marker is visible:

BAK3QwuISFi8OlPKBE1xKg.jpg
A+81PnOIRaW9S8NMJLOU4w.jpg
OpQp85i2T%Kn2oFgUu5Yvw.jpg
xPJ1CZ83STCtCKC1kk6a5w.jpg

Now have some more data on consumables for the GT500 following 3 days at Road America.
fullsizeoutput_1c86.jpeg
I'm running the OE (Brembo) front and Rear Pads. Performance is very good. Front pads lasted 4 hours, Rears 8 hours. Road America is very tough on Brakes. That wear rate is better than the GT350R on OE pads (they lasted 1 day or about 2.5 hours at VIR and I changed to race pads at that point).

Tire wear appears to be about 10-20% higher than the 350R, but it's still early days.

Biggest consumable is Gas :)

The good news is Ford have done a fantastic job with Track specific Fuel gauge calibration. Unfortunately the 16 gallon tank has limited range when driven really hard, displaying a low fuel message when Full:

b2YSMS1aTkqshOEoqSA0UA.jpg

This translates to 10 Laps or about 24 minutes at Road America.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel