The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Guys Using H&R Race Springs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

After I bought my Boss and tracked it, figured I would change the springs to reduce the rake/help with brake dive. So I purchased and installed the Steeda Boss Specific springs. Those springs helped but I still find there to be a lot of body roll (heavy car) on the twisty tracks and was looking for a way to reduce it. I talked to a tech guy at H&R and he said the adjustable shocks on the Boss should work with the H&R Race springs.

Anyone used the H&R Race springs or heard any feedback?

Rates are pretty stiff (see below)
  • Stock Boss 148lb front and 186lb rear (not sure about these rates)
    Steeda Boss specific 225lb front and 195lb rear
    H&R Race Springs 325lb front and 385lb rear

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Just based on my use of P springs, I doubt the Boss shocks would handle that increase in spring rate. The P springs are only a bit stiffer than the Steedas in the front, and I find anything less than '3' on the struts to be useless...and '5' still feels a bit underdamped on track.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
If you really want to reduce body roll you need to go lower also. Did the H&R kit reduce ride height ?

IMO, if you want to get the suspension optimized for the track (and not go broke) the just go the way Gary (Cloud9) did and install a 302S suspension - known to work and pro race quality. Some guys have gone over the top and installed a Cortex system with Ohlins dampers - but that path has been known to trigger some divorce proceeding ;D LOL

Grant 302 said:
Just based on my use of P springs, I doubt the Boss shocks would handle that increase in spring rate. The P springs are only a bit stiffer than the Steedas in the front, and I find anything less than '3' on the struts to be useless...and '5' still feels a bit underdamped on track.

That is my concern. Got the set of H&R for a great price but not sure if I want to install. Thanks.

PeteInCT said:
If you really want to reduce body roll you need to go lower also. Did the H&R kit reduce ride height ?

IMO, if you want to get the suspension optimized for the track (and not go broke) the just go the way Gary (Cloud9) did and install a 302S suspension - known to work and pro race quality. Some guys have gone over the top and installed a Cortex system with Ohlins dampers - but that path has been known to trigger some divorce proceeding ;D LOL

The Steeda Boss Specific springs don't lower the car much at all in the front although they do reduce the rake quite a bit by lowering the rear of the car by approx. .7 of an inch. The car is pretty impressive as is and I just want to make it a bit more track worthy...without the divorce proceedings :) Thanks

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Lowering the back moves the CG back a bit, that along with stiffer springs firs help for sure. Always good to keep the Mrs. happy too. ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors