The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track key did not activate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bay Area
This past Saturday I noticed my TK did not activate. Even my girl noticed the car wasn't in TK mode. This was after a 45 min trip as well. I have only been using TK lately and haven't have any issues. Ive been keeping an eye on it since then and its been doing its job. Has anyone else had anything like this happen?

Thx for any input

Does it show the TK is in use? On the 12's there were two messages when using TK. One when you start up and the second after it activated.

Mine did that once as well. I didn't think much of it and just restarted the car at the next stop light... a few min later lopey idle activated. I took it as a small ECU error. Also, it hasn't happened again, yet.

Bay Area
I always run 91 octane.

The initial message came on but the second message did not appear.

I have no CELs or any other issues that I'm aware of.

Maybe it was just a fluke 1 time issue.

Thanks for your input guys

According to the Track Key Customer instructions, the FAQ section states "What if the "Trackey idle/Engine Enabled" message is never displayed but all other TracKey features work"?

- For lopey idle to be enabled, three conditions must first be satisfied. THe first condition is that 130 seconds must have elapsed since the engine coolant temp reached 170 degrees F (77 C) while the engine is running. The second condition is that the engine must not currently be idling (Note that it is sufficient just to rev it up in the neutral or drive away once the other conditions have been met and lopey idel mode will be enabled). The third condition is that there must be no detected failures of any PCM sensors. Specifically, this means lopey idle will be disabled if any of the following is true:

- Misfire detected
- air charge temp sensor failure detected
- Cylinder head temp sensor failure detected
- Ignition coil failure detected
- Crank sensor failure detected
- Throttle body control failure detected
- Cam position sensor failure detected
- Vehicle speed sensor failure detected
- Accelerator pedal sensor failure detected
- Mass Air Flow sensor failure detected

If lopey idle is not being enabled because the PCM is detecting misfires, it may be necessary to have your dealer peform a neutral profile learn procedure.

What if the "Trackey Idle/Engine Enabled" message is displayed but the idle is not very lopey?

- First, verify that the engine oil level is correct. Make sure to use only 5W50 oil, as cam control can vary dependent on oil viscosity. Secondly, turn off all accessories such as AC, rear window defrost, etc. If the idle still isn't lopey, the PCM may need to relearn the zero (or "home") position of the cams. To facilitate this learning process, shut the engine off, restart the engine using the silver key and let the engine idle for 5 mins. with the vehicle stationary. Do not touch the accelerator pedal during this time. Once the zero position is learned, it should not need to be relearned unless the battery is disconnected or the PCM is reflashed.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel