The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Key for the 2014 GT's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
TymeSlayer said:
If you don't get it, you don't got it. It's that simple.
This isn't the Washington Post, what is there to get about a slightly lighter Mustang with ick Tokicos as "upgraded" suspension? I just want to understand where you guys are coming from on this "Boss above all else" shtick.

Brandon302 said:
Lol, I am sorry but the new Boss IMO is not a piece of history...

Let's start here. Do you think the original Boss is historically significant? If so, why?

My next question would be - do you think ANY cars are special. If so, what are they and why?

Jimmy Pribble said:
Let's start here. Do you think the original Boss is historically significant? If so, why?

My next question would be - do you think ANY cars are special. If so, what are they and why?

I would say the original would be historically significant, for Ford at least since I thought it won them many races. I would also say there are significant cars out there. I would say there are special cars out there, for me mostly Ferrari's like the F40 and the Enzo, probably the original Audi Quattro, Lancia Stratos. I guess I just don't get anymore why the Boss is so much more special then the regular Mustang, no one seems to have an actual qualifying answer other then, "I get it you don't".

I would say its a significant car for the people who can't afford a Ferrari, Lambo, Audi r8, Aston Origional Shelby. When the BOSS came out again it was aimed at beating cars out of its price range,"pony car, muscle car" class with a solid rear axle. They stayed true with the old formula of 5.0l, 4 seats and a competative price range. The media touted it as the best balanced and handling Mustang ever, not best car ever. Ford used a historic formula with current technology and imput from those superstar race car drivers that competed in the origionals such as Parnelli Jones and Carol Shelby, and came up with a capeable car with that old time "fealing" that the other brands can't compete with in an equal formula. The car companies will always do better with the next model untill the government steps in like they did in the 70's. Go ahead and sell or trade in your BOSS, youll end up like all the oldtimers at car shows that say " I used to have one of these and I kick myself in the ass because I sold it". I get it and got it....now I'm going to keep it.

Jason said:
I would say its a significant car for the people who can't afford a Ferrari, Lambo, Audi r8, Aston Origional Shelby. When the BOSS came out again it was aimed at beating cars out of its price range,"pony car, muscle car" class with a solid rear axle. They stayed true with the old formula of 5.0l, 4 seats and a competative price range. The media touted it as the best balanced and handling Mustang ever, not best car ever. Ford used a historic formula with current technology and imput from those superstar race car drivers that competed in the origionals such as Parnelli Jones and Carol Shelby, and came up with a capeable car with that old time "fealing" that the other brands can't compete with in an equal formula. The car companies will always do better with the next model untill the government steps in like they did in the 70's. Go ahead and sell or trade in your BOSS, youll end up like all the oldtimers at car shows that say " I used to have one of these and I kick myself in the ass because I sold it". I get it and got it....now I'm going to keep it.

I am glad it is able to compete with the big boys but at the same time so could a normal Mustang. There is nothing special about the Boss that can't be done to a normal Mustang. Most people who have bought the Boss to drive it on a course have changed the wheels, tires, springs and shocks, LCA's UCA, driveshaft, CAI, tune, etc etc. Haven't heard of people changing the internals which is good to know, except possibly the Roush valve springs. But it seems a little silly to buy a car that is meant to be track prepped and then realize there is much more that it needs. I would have been much more impressed if the Boss came with some of the aformentioned mods.

GR8WYT

Jimmy,

Go visit the Henry Ford Museum, then we can start this intellectual conversation. Is any car special? WOW don't even know where to start, ask the railroad industry first. Then read up on Germany, Japan, Italy, GB and now China. Then look at communist Russia and even Cuba! Ask a Cuban that has a Desoto or some other 4 door classic if they think their car is special too.

This question that you ask, challenging others to explain their rational of thinking when it is you that needs to dig deeper and provide some logic...

I'm just going to add one more point. Even the guys who buy Ferrari's, lambo's, GTR's, Merc's, and BMW's all are not satisfied with what the factory puts into their cars. People will buy $300,000 exotics and still turn to the aftermaket to one up the other owners of the same model. You can't tell me that some of those cars aren't significant even though performance was left on the table. The significance is what the car was meant to represent and what went into making the car.
Thats all I got, lol, if thats not enough well.................

PeteInCT said:
Ok , we get it. There is no value add here. Move on.

Though I feel like I devolved the conversation from the original question of the post, I really hate when someone just gives up and says, "Oh no, lets stop arguing." The point has been made about the Track Key, now I am wondering why people are getting so worked up because it seems like the Boss was somewhat of a gimick. I love my gimick but I want someone to explain in there words why the Boss is special rather then just the parts that are in it, since those aren't entirely so special IMO, and if they are then I would like to know why.

Brandon302 said:
I would say the original would be historically significant, for Ford at least since I thought it won them many races.

New Boss has the same number of championships (one), which was won by Paul Brown, who had the same win record as Parnelli Jones.

Now, let's talk about those special cars. A lot of them are unique and almost unobtainium. I was worried THAT would be your standard. But then you mentioned the Audi Quattro. Nice. I agree that it's special. I have owned one. But why do you think it's special? The quattro system? An unsophisticated locker available on the pedestrian 4000 quattro. The 10V turbo? You mean the engine of the original unintended acceleration car - the Audi 5000? They made a million of those. A slow, common, and terrible motor from grandpa's runaway Audi. Was it the body? It's just a coupe GT body with some fender flares. But, I admit the flares are unique and unavailable on any other Audi. Was it the rally heritage? Well, now we are back to that. Successful racing making the street car special.

I'm trying to find your standard for a special car. In the end, it might not square with the things I think make the Boss special. That's ok. I just thought I would give it the old college try.

Rarity - fewer Boss Mustangs (about 8,289) than Audi Quattros (about 11, 452, though only about 664 in the US)
Race Cred - WC Championship, factory-supported racing in two pro road racing series
Track Cred - development target was M3, TracKey, TrackAttack
Competitor Cred - those crybabies at GM hold the discontinued Boss in such regard that they just used it to compare against their new Z28
Automotive Press Cred - check the magazine thread for the number of covers the Boss mustang got (OMG, the Top Gear snobs put it on their cover TWICE)
Special Engine - Roadrunner - developed for Boss, not available in anything else.
Unique Appearance - check
Satisfaction/Devotion Index - what can be said here? People are lunatics for this car.

One other quick note, it's not really fair to criticize the Boss for the stock suspension (for example) and then say that a Boss can be "made from a catalog." If you allow for one, then you should allow for the other. IMO, it would be best to leave everything stock-to-stock for these kind of discussions.

One last time, not picking on you or anything, but really just trying to get what you think is special about cars to help you get to an understanding of why many of us think the Boss is special. ;)

GR8WYT said:
This question that you ask, challenging others to explain their rational of thinking when it is you that needs to dig deeper and provide some logic...

Wow, mate. He said he doesn't think the Boss is special. My questions were a way to define what he considers "special." It doesn't do us any good if our definitions for special are different. Did you really think I wouldn't deliver?

Brandon302 said:
I would say the original would be historically significant, for Ford at least since I thought it won them many races. I would also say there are significant cars out there. I would say there are special cars out there, for me mostly Ferrari's like the F40 and the Enzo, probably the original Audi Quattro, Lancia Stratos. I guess I just don't get anymore why the Boss is so much more special then the regular Mustang, no one seems to have an actual qualifying answer other then, "I get it you don't".

How dare you come on here and not only crap on the Boss, but then use the "F" word! The Deuce is rolling over in his grave!

TymeSlayer said:
There can be no winners when debating personal preference.

He prefers (loves) his Boss. He just doesn't think it's special. That's fair game, especially since he is asking the question. I'm a good candidate to try to answer since I only vaguely liked the Mustang until the Boss came out and then I dropped my Audi devotion like a hot rock and went way out of my way to buy one. ;)

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Jimmy's comments on the Quattro are spot on. My brother had one of them and I learned to drive in a 5000. That is, learned how to drive on three wheels...

If you ever tried to change the fuel pump on the Quattro, you might not think it was so special.

Anyway, if the engine *alone* doesn't make you think the Boss is special...then you just don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel