The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track key idle problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
I just moved to Las vegas from South Carolina last month.I'm thinking maybe the gas here may be part of the problem. Gas in SC is 93 octane,here in Vegas its 91. Since moving here 4 separate times the idle went away while driving. I can't think of any reason this would happen,except maybe the difference in the gas? Any way to reset the key? Should I take it to the dealer, although I had it installed in SC.Your guys thoughts. Thanks, Bob

91 octane here in CA and I've never experienced lopey idle disappearance. Maybe issues with the temperature sensor that permits lopey idle? Might be time for a dealier visit.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
I would drive the car and get a couple tanks of the new gas through it. May need time to adjust. Then if not time for the Dealer. Good luck!

From the Track Key PDF

What if the " TRACKEY IDLE / ENGINE ENABLED" message is never displayed but all
other TracKey features work?
• For lopey idle to be enabled, three conditions must first be satisfied. The first
condition is that 130 seconds must have elapsed since the engine coolant
temperature reached 170 °F (77 °C) while the engine is running. The second
condition is that the engine must not currently be idling (Note that it is sufficient
just to rev it up in neutral or drive away once the other conditions have been met
and lopey idle mode will be enabled). The third condition is that there must be no
detected failures of any PCM sensors. Specifically, this means lopey idle will be
disabled if any of the following is true:
 Misfire detected
 Air charge temperature sensor failure detected
 Cylinder head temperature sensor failure detected
 Ignition coil failure detected
 Crank sensor failure detected
 Throttle body control failure detected
 Cam position sensor failure detected
 Vehicle speed sensor failure detected
 Accelerator pedal sensor failure detected
 Mass Air Flow sensor failure detected
If lopey idle is not being enabled because the PCM is detecting misfires, it may
be necessary to have your dealer perform a neutral profile learn procedure.

Just FYI.

I purchased my car through Gaudin Ford in Las Vegas. I don't live there so haven't used them for service but wouldn't hesitate for a moment to do so. Manny was my salesperson and he is extremely knowledgeable about Mustangs including Bosses and Shelbys (he owns a Boss) and sells a lot of them. Since the dealership deals so heavily in these cars I imagine their shop is pretty good with them also.

Google 'Mustang Manny' if you want more information.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Try a KAM clear and idle relearn. Disconnect the battery for 20 mins. Reconnect start car let idle till fan kicks on (start from stone cold works best). Fan kicks on turn on max ac for 1-2 mins then turn it off then go drive normally for 10-12 miles. Should help.

Other thing to check is oil level per the trackey instructions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
GottaBoss said:
Just FYI.

I purchased my car through Gaudin Ford in Las Vegas. I don't live there so haven't used them for service but wouldn't hesitate for a moment to do so. Manny was my salesperson and he is extremely knowledgeable about Mustangs including Bosses and Shelbys (he owns a Boss) and sells a lot of them. Since the dealership deals so heavily in these cars I imagine their shop is pretty good with them also.

Google 'Mustang Manny' if you want more information.
Took your advice and called Manny at Gaudin Ford. I'm going tomorrow and he will put it on the computer and see what the problem might be. Could be a number of things. I'll let you know what the results are.

I'm in for updates, as I have the same issue. I have taken it to 3 different dealers, here in East TN, and all have told me they won't /can't do anything without any stored codes.

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
What do you mean, stored codes? The Ford guy said he needed to check my codes when I bring it in today. I hope he finds the problem. Have an appointment at 10 am this morning, so I will have an answer later today....I hope.

In general, when the computer detects a fault, it will generate a code, usually but not always accompanied with a check engine light. This code will/should be stored on the computer until it has been erased by someone. Not trying to hijack your tread and not getting into details, this has been an issue for me since I had Trackey installed in June of '12. Very frustrating, but I love this car.

Edit: Added an "in general terms" clarification.

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
I spent 2 1/2 hours at Ford this morning. He puts the car on the computer, then calls ford racing and they talk. Nothing shows up on the computer. Ford racing says they have no idea why. Everything is working fine,they say. Ok, he gives me my printout (no charge) and I'm on my way. The car is running the way it should. I guess I'll just wait until....if.... it happens again and then I'll do what Justin suggested with disconnecting the battery, and see if that work. See you at the LVMS next week. Thanks for your input. Bob

Glad it's working okay for you now. Intermittent, un-diagnosed problems are always a PIA. At least you have the problem on record now with the dealer and Ford Racing so if/when it happens in the future they may take it more seriously.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel