The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Key Install?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucksdown said:
I need some inexpensive like in Nashville, Birmingham, Atlanta, Chattanooga. New York is just WAY to far away for this rebel.

That's just for the trackey program. They mail you a packet with the download instructions that the tech needs for install. You can have it installed at any Ford dealer you choose...but as mentioned above, if you buy the program direct from most dealers they charge $302. Save yourself the $80 and have the program sent to you.

pucksdown said:
I live in Huntsville, Alabama and just picked up a 2012 with a track key attached but nothing downloaded into the car. I was quoted $302 to download the track data and $200 labor. Is there anywhere to get this done more cheaply and maybe by someone that has done a few?
Welcome to BMO. If it isn't clear all the Boss 302's came with the red and silver keys and like you've discovered you need to purchase the Ford Racing TracKey tune after purchase. Good luck with finding a dealer.

Tousley Ford in MN is great for any Ford parts in terms of price and service. Ask for Steve. They have the best pice for the voucher.

Any Ford shop can do it as long as they can read instructions which are included with the Voucher.

1-hr labor roughly $100 is most you should pay. If they tell you more, they are trying to make an extra buck and I would not trust them to do an oil change.

Good luck.

Darth Boss said:
1-hr labor roughly $100 is most you should pay. If they tell you more, they are trying to make an extra buck...

Quoted 2.5 hours from my local stealership. The day my warranty expires is the last day I will ever set foot in that place. :mad:

VTBoss302 said:
Did you buy your Boss there???

Oh, HELL no. That was a total fiasco. I only go there for warranty service, because they are almost literally across the street from where I work. They are so bizarre. They charge premium prices, but don't do anything special to show for it. They charge $100 for an oil change and I get a ride to work. Audi charged far less than that, gave me a courtesy car (always a new Audi), and my car came back washed! And that was for a pre-owned vehicle!

I knew when this dealership started dropping names ("Michael Dell gets his Ford GT serviced here.") that it probably wasn't the place for me. But for warranty stuff, I just can't beat the convenience. For TracKey, I will happily drive to another dealer, even if it is in San Antonio or DFW.

Jimmy Pribble said:
Oh, HELL no.

If you haven't already, check out the book:

"In Like A Lamb

THE STORY OF JOHN BUFFUM

Out Like A Lion"

By Line - Tom Grimshaw

Required reading for quattro fanatics, Killer B's and RS200 fanboys (like me)

VTBoss302 said:
If you haven't already, check out the book:

"In Like A Lamb

THE STORY OF JOHN BUFFUM

Out Like A Lion"

By Line - Tom Grimshaw

Required reading for quattro fanatics, Killer B's and RS200 fanboys (like me)

Thanks for the reminder! I am a fanboy of all those things and am aware of that book, but have never read it. Shame on me. :(

Psst, wanna see my other car?

jimmyfrontstraight_940.jpg

Okay, let's move on before the mods show-up. :p

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
Has anyone gone to Walnut Creek Ford in CA for a track key install? I am thinking that this is the next upgrade in the list. I had the 1970 out for a wash on fathers day and was thinking that the 2013 needs a set of louvers too. Who has the louvers and how do you like them?

john

jneary said:
Has anyone gone to Walnut Creek Ford in CA for a track key install? I am thinking that this is the next upgrade in the list. I had the 1970 out for a wash on fathers day and was thinking that the 2013 needs a set of louvers too. Who has the louvers and how do you like them?

john
Heard Walnut Creek Ford's done a few trackey installs.

TMO Supporting Vendors