The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Key Install?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i believe the aforementioned sticker comes with the tune paperwork. if you don't have it, im guessing the dealer didn't bother with it... which may be a problem for CA owners, or if you want to sell to a CA resident in the future.

cbj5259 said:
I got my track installed a month ago but never received a sticker as of yet.
This means the dealer didn't answer all the questions on their computer during the install and FR didn't get your information. The sticker comes after the fact from FR and you should call them tomorrow and ask for your sticker. It does not come with the tune paperwork.

FLGator

2013 Boss 302 LS #196 - Shadow
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Florida
cbj5259 said:
I got my track installed a month ago but never received a sticker as of yet.
If you look at the trackey paperwork the owners sheet has an contact number and address to get your sticker.

FLGator

2013 Boss 302 LS #196 - Shadow
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Florida
F.D. Sako said:
i believe the aforementioned sticker comes with the tune paperwork. if you don't have it, im guessing the dealer didn't bother with it... which may be a problem for CA owners, or if you want to sell to a CA resident in the future.
The sticker that comes with your trackey paperwork is the one that goes inside the fuel filler door. It states that you must use minimum 91 octane.

NFSBOSS said:
This means the dealer didn't answer all the questions on their computer during the install and FR didn't get your information. The sticker comes after the fact from FR and you should call them tomorrow and ask for your sticker. It does not come with the tune paperwork.

This may sound stupid, but why do I need the sticker?

Re: Track Key Install? Small discrepancy in dealer instructions v 2.2 for 2013

Had the Track Key installed yesterday by Campbell Ford, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. No issue with it as I felt the lopey idle shortly after I drove off. On a 30 miles run (25 miles hwy), felt like back in 70's. Car shaking a bit, detonation, couple backfires when slowing down, just like the good old 70's. Yes, it does kick in very shortly after driving off and it will bling in display.

Now for discrepancy.

Dealer Instructions, para 27 and 30. PCM File name listed is for 2012. 2013 have different one. They had to contact Ford Perf to get that info. Ford plse take note and reissue instructions under version 2.3 with corrected info

2012 - (listed) CR3A-SEMABM-5BC

2013 (Not listed) DR3A-SEMABM-5BB

Pass the info to your tech if u r getting the key installed on 2013.

Took longer than one hour, but got charged only 1 hr.

When I took delivery of my Boss my dealership insisted that the TK was already installed. I knew this was impossible. So Just to make sure I called Ford Racing and gave them my VIN. They said that it was not yet installed. Then the dealership said that they had the tune in their computer and would be installed. Long story short I made them order the part no. (TK) from Ford Racing and insisted that I see the envelope with "TK" instructions. Be sure that the service tech uses a hard line with their lap-top when installing the TK tune and not WI-FI because it will definitely take longer to install. My tech found that out the hard way and had to call up Ford Racing to figure it out. I actually made the dealership put it in writing that the TK had actually been installed before I took delivery of my Boss. It wasn't, obviously and they had to put up the money to get it installed. Needless to say, I am not to popular around there. Not my fault they don't know what they're selling. Oh yeah, it took 3 hrs. but it should only take about an hr.

I would definitly get it installed even if you never use it,it's part of the whole package and with out it your missing out on the best perk of the car.I do not use mine very often but there are those days you just need to relieve some tension,no better way than to crank it up with thr red key.

I live in Huntsville, Alabama and just picked up a 2012 with a track key attached but nothing downloaded into the car. I was quoted $302 to download the track data and $200 labor. Is there anywhere to get this done more cheaply and maybe by someone that has done a few?

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
pucksdown said:
I live in Huntsville, Alabama and just picked up a 2012 with a track key attached but nothing downloaded into the car. I was quoted $302 to download the track data and $200 labor. Is there anywhere to get this done more cheaply and maybe by someone that has done a few?

Only $220 here

http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/ford-racing-boss-trackey-software-p-1220.html

Had mine included in the price of the car. But had the car retuned a week and half later, could not stand the half to full throttle hicups.

I need some inexpensive like in Nashville, Birmingham, Atlanta, Chattanooga. New York is just WAY to far away for this rebel.

pucksdown said:

You can buy the tune from anywhere...as mentioned above, Levittown sells it for $220 and so does Tousley Ford. They will send you a packet with download instructions and codes that the installation tech will need when the tune is installed. You do not have to buy the program from the dealership that you get the install done at. I would definitely shop around for your installation.Ford indicates it is a one hour job, so if a ddealership is quoting you anything over 1.5hours labor, they are ripping you off. I would also call around and ffind a dealer who has done a few trackey installs first. You don't want to be the "Guinea Pig" for a tech doing his first install.

TMO Supporting Vendors