The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Key Installation and Pricing

So I just called a local Ford dealership and inquired about the installation and pricing of the TracKey Software on my 2012 Boss 302 since it's available as of today. After waiting for them to take it to the service mgr, they came back and said:

- It is specific to the VIN of the car and I'd either have to provide the VIN or bring it in!?!? (Really?)
- The cost is about $350 (I thought it was the magical $302)
- There would be about 1hr worth of labor to get it installed
- It may take up to a week to get it
- Total damage would be around $500 for parts and labor

Let me know what the rest of you hear out there...
 
Sales tax and shipping?
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
13
Connecticut
ryeman0127 - I just got off the phone with my dealer in Massachusetts, same deal. Just about $340, about a week to wait and about 1 hr labor to install once they get the voucher. I was hoping to get it installed before VIR this month but I guess not. Hopefully it's all worth the wait ;D It's a beautiful machne on the track even without the damn key !
 
We should hold out maybe they will lower the price. Also 1 hour to "install" is it just basically a flash program?
 
MustangX3 said:
We should hold out maybe they will lower the price. Also 1 hour to "install" is it just basically a flash program?
Most of us have been holding out long enough already. With the issues they have getting the IDS programming tool to communicate to the Boss' PCM and it still not resolved, I feel bad for my service writer and tech that they're getting shorted on this deal. They have well over an hour into it only to find out there's an issue with communication between their IDS tool and the PCM. They're not going to charge me, but it's money out of their pockets.
 
I had the same issue with the IDS communication. Now the tech needs to download an updated version it will take a while so I am bringing my Boss back tomorrow.
 
I can't wait to see some dyno results. Anyone planning on doing a dyno run with the new Track Key soon? If so I hope you can do it with both keys for comparison. I want to see how much the torque curve improves.
 
Mine is 302.00 plus an hour of labor and yep they are having the same problem getting it to work I told them look I dont want to deal with the issues so keep the car until it is done I left it there let it sit in their service center my friend let me use his BMW to get home so it was no big deal I just dont want to go back and forth while ford gets their crap in gear ;D
 
boss2012 said:
I had the same issue with the IDS communication. Now the tech needs to download an updated version it will take a while so I am bringing my Boss back tomorrow.

So much for using the month of October to "get the Dealers trained". ::)
 
Dallas_Dude said:
I can't wait to see some dyno results. Anyone planning on doing a dyno run with the new Track Key soon? If so I hope you can do it with both keys for comparison. I want to see how much the torque curve improves.
That's my plan this week. It will depend on the weather tomorrow, but assuming they can complete the install, I should have it done by Thursday. Will be doing back to back pulls for comparison as that's my same interest.....seeing the torque curve compared to the street tune.
 
cloud9 said:
Dallas_Dude said:
I can't wait to see some dyno results. Anyone planning on doing a dyno run with the new Track Key soon? If so I hope you can do it with both keys for comparison. I want to see how much the torque curve improves.
That's my plan this week. It will depend on the weather tomorrow, but assuming they can complete the install, I should have it done by Thursday. Will be doing back to back pulls for comparison as that's my same interest.....seeing the torque curve compared to the street tune.

I thought I could beat you too it Gary.....but since yours is already at the shop and awaiting install it appears you'll have results before any of us. I'm holding off until Thursday now because of the weather. I didn't spend Saturday washing/detailing the car for an upcoming Veteran's Day Parade this weekend only to have it ruined by the rain/snow mix we are to get tomorrow.

I and everyone else will be looking forward to your report!!
 
Thanks for information, I copied, pasted, and emailed it to my dealer so he would know about pcm/ids tool problems before I drove over to have mine put on, or attempted.
Maybe they can double check their tool before I waste the trip.
Mine is ordered, hope to have it on soon. ;D
 
384
0
Maui
I ordered the track key program from my dealer on Oct 30th...The package shipped (UPS next day air) on halloween and is scheduled to arrive at my dealer on 11/2 at the end of the day... (At least this is what the UPS website says when I put in the tracking number for the package)... It was $302 +45 dollars in shipping (UPS next day air).

So what exactly should I tell my dealer to help ensure the install goes smoothly? Should I say they need to update their IDS scanning tool?
 
808Boss said:
I ordered the track key program from my dealer on Oct 30th...The package shipped (UPS next day air) on halloween and is scheduled to arrive at my dealer on 11/2 at the end of the day... (At least this is what the UPS website says when I put in the tracking number for the package)... It was $302 +45 dollars in shipping (UPS next day air).

So what exactly should I tell my dealer to help ensure the install goes smoothly? Should I say they need to update their IDS scanning tool?
I think that is the problem make them call for tech to make sure.
 
My dealer called me today and told me that the Track Key is back ordered! WTF?
He is suprised given the fact that Ford knows how many are needed. He asked if I knew anyone who has received it from their dealer, so I will ask on this thread: Can you let me know if your dealer has physically received it and if you have already had it installed. Also, what State you are in. I am located in Michigan.
Thanks
 
65venom said:
My dealer called me today and told me that the Track Key is back ordered! WTF?
He is suprised given the fact that Ford knows how many are needed. He asked if I knew anyone who has received it from their dealer, so I will ask on this thread: Can you let me know if your dealer has physically received it and if you have already had it installed. Also, what State you are in. I am located in Michigan.
Thanks

I might be misinformed, but I don't think there is anything to ship here. The dealer simply connects to the ford site, downloads the programming, and then they flash your car. As far as I know, the only thing that gets "shipped", are instructions for the customer, and a CARB sticker to be placed on the strut tower brace.
 
farmboy90 said:
65venom said:
My dealer called me today and told me that the Track Key is back ordered! WTF?
He is suprised given the fact that Ford knows how many are needed. He asked if I knew anyone who has received it from their dealer, so I will ask on this thread: Can you let me know if your dealer has physically received it and if you have already had it installed. Also, what State you are in. I am located in Michigan.
Thanks

I might be misinformed, but I don't think there is anything to ship here. The dealer simply connects to the ford site, downloads the programming, and then they flash your car. As far as I know, the only thing that gets "shipped", or instructions for the customer, and a CARB sticker to be placed on the strut tower brace.

I think there is a packet with an ID code for the dealer to download the software, a couple 91 Octane stickers, and instructions. I Believe the CARB sticker gets mailed to you. How can this be back ordered?
 

jas427

BOSS LS #469
Re: Track Key Installation Done and Working

OK I got my call a picked up the BOSS with the new track key installed. Took it for a joy ride up and down the interstate. All seems good did notice a little more engine braking but for the price of it I'm completely satisfied with the one change and thats the lower engine TEMP!!!! Beat on it hard and it stayed at 200 and let it cool off it would drop as low as 180. Well more to come after this weekend.
 
Re: Track Key Installation Done and Working

jas427 said:
OK I got my call a picked up the BOSS with the new track key installed. Took it for a joy ride up and down the interstate. All seems good did notice a little more engine braking but for the price of it I'm completely satisfied with the one change and thats the lower engine TEMP!!!! Beat on it hard and it stayed at 200 and let it cool off it would drop as low as 180. Well more to come after this weekend.

Hmmm, that is interesting news. It would be great if it helped the overheating issue.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel
Top