The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Key Installation and Pricing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Interesting about the temp--but I'd wait to see how it does on the track--all the MMP cars had the TK and we heard that they had overheating issues still.

False Alarm! My dealer called back and said they were mistaken. The actual Track Key is back ordered. AZ Boss 302 is correct. The dealer gets an individual code for each VIN. I am scheduled for this Friday.

Mine is in and it is worth every cent to me:) ;D In the car that is drove it around there is a big difference as for streetability but it more then managable.

jec246

Ordered mine today. Actual part charge $326.16. Installation was quoted at $50-$100. I also warned him about the issues other dealers were having. I hope they heed my warnings. :p CAN'T WAIT! ;D

I ordered mine on Monday and i am at the dealer right now. Getting it installed. I will let everyone knows what happens.

FYI, i never received a green voucher with my car. Make sure you have it before you go or they cannot program your key.

I too am on my way out the door and going to get Trackey installed.......can't wait!! Also, never heard anything about a Green Voucher....hmm!

What a cluster F... You have to order the voucher package which gives you the greenvoucher in order for the dealer to perform the download. It is $302.00 to get the voucher and then they want to charge me $270.00 to install it. The dealer never told me this now i waisted a whole morning and i have to come back. They are overnighting it for free but the dealer is telling me they only have one guy that can do this and of course he is off on Friday.isnt this just a download? I am a General Manager for Mercedes and i never heard this nonsense before. Make sure your dealer knows what they are talking about before you go in and waist your time. If you are going to Downs Ford in NJ like me make sure you speak to Rich in parts, he is the only one that knows what he is talking about.

The voucher is a sheet of a paper with a serial number on it that will be be tied to the VIN It's like a product Key for registering software on your computer. I did not have a voucher, but it came with the TracKey kit that the dealer ordered for me on the 31st. This "kit" was sent to the dealer. It contained the voucher, instructions and the 91+ octane gas filler sticker. I assume that future Boss purchasers will get this green voucher directly from Ford.

Essentially, the only things I had to bring to the dealer were the two keys, the car and only 91+ octane fuel in the tank (as if I ever used anyting different in the Boss).

In the mail I expect to receive a sticker that will be applied to the shock tower. (I wonder if the wording of this new shock tower sticker is what was holding up the release by CARB)

Dark Horse

2012 BOSS 302 LS 541
For the LS owners, even though the car came standard with the red key, did the dealer still need order the Track Key and are they charging the install for something that was included in the car purchase? My dealer has had only one other Boss in addition to my LS so even though they are excited about getting the red key installed there seems to be a general lack of knowledge on eveyone's part on how this is all suposed to work.

Dark Horse said:
For the LS owners, even though the car came standard with the red key, did the dealer still need order the Track Key and are they charging the install for something that was included in the car purchase? My dealer has had only one other Boss in addition to my LS so even though they are excited about getting the red key installed there seems to be a general lack of knowledge on eveyone's part on how this is all suposed to work.

LS owners are in the same boat as Boss owners. A key with a red logo came with both cars. The programming for the Track Key came with neither car.

Both car owners (LS and Boss) will have to pay the $302 to have the programming activated.

Anybody in Canada actually get their Trackey voucher. My parts guy ordered mine on October 31 ,called him to day and its on back order.With no actual date as to how long .
Still waiting

Berol said:
Both car owners (LS and Boss) will have to pay the $302 to have the programming activated.

Don't forget to include any applicable installation charge - seems to be running about $100

Okay, so I called a couple of local dealers to inquire about getting the Track Key program. Only one dealer was honest and said they didn't know what I was talking about, but they would call Ford and get back to me. I didn't expect to hear back from them. They actually did call back a few hours later. The parts guy (Jonathan) told me he could order the package and some nonsense about a effing voucher, bla, bla, bla.

This whole thing has been a royal cluster foxtrot, and this is probably the last Ford I buy for the next decade. What a crock of *&(+.

jec246

jec246 said:
Anybody in Canada actually get their Trackey voucher. My parts guy ordered mine on October 31 ,called him to day and its on back order.With no actual date as to how long .
Still waiting

Make sure he didn't order the actual key. I know some others had their dealers do that and those are on back order. Give him the part number (M-14204-MBTKA 2012 BOSS 302 TRACKEY FLASH). Should fix you right up. Ordered mine on 02 November 2011 and they got it 03 November 2011. hope this helps!!

Just noticed "Canada". :p I'm not in Canada, but still make sure they are ordering the right thing if you haven't already.

Vince said:
Don't forget to include any applicable installation charge - seems to be running about $100
The dealer that's installing mine quoted me $120 but I talked them down to $100. Does it really take an hour to install? I did get a discount on TK although it wasn't much.

My dealer wanted $270.00 and then said they would do it for $160.00. That plus thr cost of the voucher is close to $500.00. I could get a nice tuner for that price.

I called the service manager today. He knew what i needed and had my vin and placed the order. he said it was $302 installed.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel