The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Key Installation and Pricing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If someone has not installed their octane sticker, could you make a clear copy of it for me, and PM it to me, or try posting it so I can make a copy.
ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. ??? ;D

LING952 said:
If someone has not installed their octane sticker, could you make a clear copy of it for me, and PM it to me, or try posting it so I can make a copy.
ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. ??? ;D
I can do it. While I'm at it I'll scan my EO sticker just in case I lose it. ;)

Maui
Is the EO sticker the one Ford Racing is supposed to mail to you? I never got it. The dealer put the 91 octane sticker on my shock tower...I would have thought they would have put it by the gas tank. I guess I better call Ford racing .

808Boss said:
Is the EO sticker the one Ford Racing is supposed to mail to you? I never got it. The dealer put the 91 octane sticker on my shock tower...I would have thought they would have put it by the gas tank. I guess I better call Ford racing .
Actually you need to call the dealer and have them call FR. That's what I had to do to get my EO sticker.

Your information for the EOD sticker should have been manually put in when they installed the track key, it ask for owner, not dealer address where they send it in a couple of weeks. I know because I had to program most of my own track key program.

Had my Trackey installed today, Service Tag number was 444, cost was $442.

Wow, 444, hp of the Boss, 442, my favorite muscle car of the 60s, needless to say I bought lotto tickets on the way home!

Boomerstoys

Keep the shiny side up & the rubber side down!
FRUSTRATED is putting it mildly!!!! Yesterday, the dealer had my car for the entire day without being able to load the software. This was the second time they attempted it and I'm taking the car and install package to a different dealer. What this dealer said is there is some issue with firewalls, on either their end or on Ford Racing end. My car was the first they tried to program (should have known better but they are within 5 miles from the house and a good dealer).

I'm heading up to a different dealer this afternoon to talk with their tech & service manager. They have successfully programed 4 cars. I want to see what they have to say. The tech at the first dealer gave me notes to show to this dealer on where the program hangs up. I'm hoping this will not be an issue. The original tech said if it can't be loaded the only way to get the car programmed would be to send the PCM to Ford Racing------------------NO WAY!!!!

Wish me luck!

Cheers!

PS: Has anyone else run into this with their install? The gracious part of this, is my original dealer said I didn't have to pay for the TracKey package until it is successfully loaded and they didn't charge me anything for all the time they spent over 2 full days on trying to install it.

I guess it all boils down to how much experience a dealer has had with Trackey. My Boss was my dealer's only allocation, so I would be very leery about bringing it there if/when I decide to get it installed. The idea of being their guinea pig isn't very comforting.

BLAZN BOSS

302BOB said:
I guess it all boils down to how much experience a dealer has had with Trackey. My Boss was my dealer's only allocation, so I would be very leery about bringing it there if/when I decide to get it installed. The idea of being their guinea pig isn't very comforting.
DAMN RIGHT MAN!

Boomerstoys

SOME GOOD NEWS!!!!

Went to another dealer this afternoon and talked with the tech that does TracKey installs. He's now done 7 or 8. When I showed him the note from the other dealer he said: "Been there with my first two installs. I know what to do now and it shouldn't be a problem. Can't do it today but what about tomorrow." JUST ABOUT FELL OVER I WAS SO GIDDY!!!!

So tomorrow @ 1:30 I stand a good chance that I'll have TracKey installed!!!!! Also received my brake cooling kit this afternoon so all I need is some decent weather & time and this puppy should be installed. Still waiting on the tranny cooling scope. Need to decide what pads to go with, Proformance Friction 01's or Carbotech XP20's for the front and PF 97 or Carbotech XP 10's for the rear. Already have my Motul so things are coming together. The hardest part is waiting!!!! Our first track day isn't till April. A couple of buddies are heading down to Thunderhill mid Feb. for 3 days on track. Wish I could have made these events.

Cheers!

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I feel pretty fortunate. My dealer installed in quite quickly and without any problems. Mine was the 2nd allocation but the first guy who got his sx months before I did, choose not to have it installed. Apparently wanted a garage queen.

Does the red key eliminate the throttle hang? It is starting to really annoy me. It was the main reason I had my Evo flashed, and would be worth the $300 alone.

Boomerstoys

SUCCESS!!!!! Went to an EXPERIENCED DEALER (a must IMO) and 45 minutes later, TracKey was installed.

My impression is not all that great! Cost was $330.69 (WA states outrageous tax rate) and labor was $122.19. Took about 45 minutes of actual time on their computer.

First, the lopey idle is not "all that" and certainly nothing like the Ford Video. The car is louder at idle put not like I have a high lift cam installed. I did have some accessories on (heater). I'll be doing the 5 minute idle with the black key to see if the PCM needs to relearn "Zero" and if this makes a difference.

The throttle response IS more crisp. Need to see what this will be like once I get it to the track. I plan to run a session with the black key and then see what the Red key does. I did notice better throttle response but didn't really get a chance for any WOT run through of the gears. SKIP SHIFT IS GONE.

Engine breaking is more noticible but I thought the car had pretty good engine breaking with the black key. Think track use is the only way to really judge this package.

Haven't tried Launch Control or Pit Lane Speed Control as these are features I'm all that concerned with.

Hoping the throttle changes will pay dividends on the track. This may change my overall opinion of the TracKey expense, is it worth it, or not. For those that have TracKey and used it on the track, maybe they can give a comparison of sessions with and without using the TracKey. My first date isn't until April so my final verdict will have to wait till then.

Too BAD CARB had to stick their .02 cents in where it doesn't really belong. Think Ford had a great idea but than to Big Brother, had to dial it back.

Did visit with the original dealer and told him what they had to do: no firewalls, no pop-up blocks or anti-viris software that intrusive. The dealer that successfully installed it said they had similar issue on their first 2 cars but now they one tech and a dedicated laptop are used for programing TracKey, and it works.

Hope this provides some food for thought for those that haven't done TracKey and I'd be very interested in comments from people that have had the program for awhile and ran with it on track. For me the jury is still out until I get it on the track.

Cheers!

TMO Supporting Vendors