The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Key Installed today! - I'm Impressed

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
All I can say is WOW! This is how the car should run from the factory. This thing screams and the fuel economy computer says I am getting 3 MPG more at Highway Speeds. Also the lopey idle makes the car shake when you are sitting at a light. Very cool. Really the Track Key should come standard, but realize due to EPA restraints it couldn't. I wonder how much more "race" would be in it had California let them release it like they originally programmed it. I knew the powertrain warranty is reduced when you install it, but I thought why have the car and not get the thing that will make it run like they designed it. I am glad I did. Flat out the best mod you can do and it is warrantied. I can see why people say they just use the Silver key as a back up. I will always use the red key, especially since it drives great and gets better mileage to boot.

Brian
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
batman48195 said:
I'm going by what the computer says. I can't believe how much extra power the car seems to have.
I really enjoy the crackle it makes letting off the throttle. to me its like its laughing at all the other cars on the road lol
 
That's interesting to hear. I haven't installed the Track Key yet. I got the impression from others on the board that a custom tune was the better option. You are making me reconsider the Track Key.
 
batman48195 said:
I'm going by what the computer says. I can't believe how much extra power the car seems to have.
You are aware that the track key does not make any extra power right? This is directly from Ford.
 

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
seca954 said:
That's interesting to hear. I haven't installed the Track Key yet. I got the impression from others on the board that a custom tune was the better option. You are making me reconsider the Track Key.

Definitely more responsive and you don't risk warranty issues if you have a problem.
 
I purchased the extended bumper to bumper warranty (7years). Does this mean if I install trackey that it voids my extended warranty? If so...I want my money back, because I plan on installing trackey!
 

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
1,242
71
I like what Ford Racing did with the Trackey. I had read on another forum that some claimeed about a 20hp gain on a dyno the day they installed the Trackey. No proof at all and am surprised that nobody has checked the '13 Trackey.

I would love to check mine on a dyno some day.
 
cbj5259 said:
I purchased the extended bumper to bumper warranty (7years). Does this mean if I install trackey that it voids my extended warranty? If so...I want my money back, because I plan on installing trackey!
It does not void the warranty but it does change the terms of the extended warranty, which in the end means the money you spent on the extended warranty was for nothing. This is why I chose not to get the track key as I already had the extended warranty for 9 mos. when the track key was released.
 

CrashTex

Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow
I finally got my trackey programmed yesterday, and here's a list of the differences I've noticed:

- Trackey message at engine start


Yep. That's it. Lopey idle-- if I close my eyes and randomly grab a key, I can't tell the difference. Engine braking? I don't feel any difference at all, and I have an appreciation for nuances. Either the differences are *exceptionally* subtle, or.....

Really wondering if the dealership botched the the installation. Any way to tell?

Thanks for any advice!!
 

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
Lopey idle takes about 5 to 10 min for the engine to get to temp. But mine has a much more responsive throttle, its louder on acceleration and is getting better mileage according to the computer. They might have messed it up. Read the documentation that came with it.
Brian
 
413
0
yes you can tell if they installed it correctly. press the rsm button on the steering wheel 2wice fast and look for the cruise control light to flash green. that is the pit speed activation thing.

I HATE the engine braking. deal breaker for me. AED and gray key makes my much happier than the red key.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
CrashTex said:
I finally got my trackey programmed yesterday, and here's a list of the differences I've noticed:

- Trackey message at engine start


Yep. That's it. Lopey idle-- if I close my eyes and randomly grab a key, I can't tell the difference. Engine braking? I don't feel any difference at all, and I have an appreciation for nuances. Either the differences are *exceptionally* subtle, or.....

Really wondering if the dealership botched the the installation. Any way to tell?

Thanks for any advice!!
this is how
How do I tell if the installation has been successful?
• If the TracKey itself has been successfully programmed, the message
"TRACKEY ACTIVE TRACK USE ONLY" will appear on the message center
when the ignition is turned to the ON position with the TracKey. If both the PCM
and the TracKey have been successfully programmed, the green speed control
light on the dash will blink continuously twice per second when the engine is
running and Pit Lane Speed Control has been activated. To activate Pit Lane
Speed control on a 2012 vehicle, press the "OFF" button followed by the
"RESUME" button within 2 seconds. To activate Pit Lane Speed Control on a
2013 vehicle, make sure the speed control indicator light is off (not orange or
green) then press the "RSM" button twice within 1 second. To deactivate Pit
Lane Speed Control, press the "RESUME" or "RSM" button once. Note that if
the PCM is not programmed correctly, the "TRACKEY ACTIVE TRACK USE
ONLY" message can still be displayed on the message cluster but no
action will be taken by the PCM so none of the TracKey functionality will
work.
[pdf]http://www.fordracingparts.com/trackey/include/TracKey_Dealer_Technician_Instructions_V2.0.pdf[/pdf]
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
askjeffro said:
So many varied opinions... what to do...
As to if you should get the trackey?

Warranty aside.
I have had the trackey, the JLP hot rod cam idle tune, steeda 93 ghost idle tune and steeda 93 reg idle tune.
this is how I rank them
1. Steeda Reg idle tune
2. Trackey
3. Steeda Ghost Idle tune
4. JLP Hot rod idle tune

If I knew then what I know now. I would have just went with the Steeda Boss CAI and steeda tune from the start and skipped the others. Just my .02.

If you are worried about warranty get the trackey. if you are worried about it blowing up on the track (track with turns kinda tracks) then go with the trackey because you get a warranty. If you are like me and use it as a DD with drag racing here and there and dont care so much with the warranty becoming an issue go with the steeda set up.
 

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
521
0
Justin said:
askjeffro said:
So many varied opinions... what to do...
As to if you should get the trackey?

Warranty aside.
I have had the trackey, the JLP hot rod cam idle tune, steeda 93 ghost idle tune and steeda 93 reg idle tune.
this is how I rank them
1. Steeda Reg idle tune
2. Trackey
3. Steeda Ghost Idle tune
4. JLP Hot rod idle tune

If I knew then what I know now. I would have just went with the Steeda Boss CAI and steeda tune from the start and skipped the others. Just my .02.

If you are worried about warranty get the trackey. if you are worried about it blowing up on the track (track with turns kinda tracks) then go with the trackey because you get a warranty. If you are like me and use it as a DD with drag racing here and there and dont care so much with the warranty becoming an issue go with the steeda set up.

Did you notice any better times at drag strip? Im thinking of getting a tune from Justin at VMP,

My best time at track is [email protected],43 stock except UCA and tires.
 
113
0
It took me until the first time I leaned on my car hard taking it thru some of the twisty backroads we have around here to appreciate the red key fully. During those runs, I typically keep the tach between 3000-6000 RPM continuously. I can tell a distinct difference with the red key under those conditions. I like the extra exhaust note, the improved engine braking, etc. We don't have a road course close to where I live so I doubt my car will see much track duty. And I'm not a drag racer. So for those reasons I prefer the TracKey over an aftermarket tune. I suppose if I were a drag racer and was trying to squeeze every tenth out of my car the aftermarket tune might be appealing. Considering that Ford had to keep the TracKey within 50-state emissions compliance, provide a warranty, and keep it easy to use, I think they did a great job. I'm impressed also.
 

CrashTex

Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow
JonW said:
It took me until the first time I leaned on my car hard taking it thru some of the twisty backroads we have around here to appreciate the red key fully. During those runs, I typically keep the tach between 3000-6000 RPM continuously. I can tell a distinct difference with the red key under those conditions. I like the extra exhaust note, the improved engine braking, etc. We don't have a road course close to where I live so I doubt my car will see much track duty. And I'm not a drag racer. So for those reasons I prefer the TracKey over an aftermarket tune. I suppose if I were a drag racer and was trying to squeeze every tenth out of my car the aftermarket tune might be appealing. Considering that Ford had to keep the TracKey within 50-state emissions compliance, provide a warranty, and keep it easy to use, I think they did a great job. I'm impressed also.

Well said. What wheels are those in your pic? Love 'em.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top