The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Key Installed today! - I'm Impressed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
CrashTex said:
Sweet. The dealership fixed the Trackey install..... Love it. On one of the threads someone wrote, to paraphrase, 'this is the way the Boss was meant to be.'

Well said.

Nice. What did they have to do, just re-download it?

Brian

CrashTex

Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow
Hey Brian,
They pulled the software off and reinstalled from a new license (don't know why that'd matter, but it worked, and naturally they didn't charge me). The grey key has just become the valet key, or the key I'll hand my wife when she drives.

My only trackey concern was that the engine braking would affect drivability on the street.... No problem there. 0232 is my daily driver, and the only reason I could see to not run trackey would be running an aftermarket tune instead. Might do that, but meantime, I like what the red key does for the car's personality.

Next.... Corsa Xtremes, perhaps....

Crash

batman48195

CrashTex said:
Hey Brian,
They pulled the software off and reinstalled from a new license (don't know why that'd matter, but it worked, and naturally they didn't charge me). The grey key has just become the valet key, or the key I'll hand my wife when she drives.

My only trackey concern was that the engine braking would affect drivability on the street.... No problem there. 0232 is my daily driver, and the only reason I could see to not run trackey would be running an aftermarket tune instead. Might do that, but meantime, I like what the red key does for the car's personality.

Next.... Corsa Xtremes, perhaps....

Crash

Plus the computer says the mileage is better. You can't beat that! The car is truly an animal with track key.

Enjoy!!

Brian

Today signed papers for a SBY LS will pickup tomorrow (sticker price, someone had backed out of deal no money or something). I have been reading this site for about 1 year now. I knew I want the trackey software programmed and left the car for dealer to do (no cost) before I pickup car. As the business manager (the guy that does the extended warrantee and road hazard tire warranty offer) knew I wanted trackey he showed me the fine print on the Ford Service Plan FSP that said cars with programming done were not eligible for the FSP. If that is the same extended warrantee plan spoken of a few post above. He wanted to make that clear to me but he had confused the salesperson into believing that the trackey software voided the basic 3/36 plan so I made sure they got that correct. I was expecting the big sales job on the add ons like extended warrantee etc but not really just showed me a flyer for Ford Racing parts and the part # for the 302R.

Now for a larger dealership in the chicago area that has sold 3 LS's this year they say they haven't programmed one yet for trackey. My understanding is that the car came from ford with the red key and there isn't anything that has to be ordered. Any reason not to do this asap. I understood they can't do it till titled (they had installed the splitter, trans cooler, cooling ducts) and I did get manager to agree to do it no charge as part of the sale. I had them put car on lift before comit to buy and while there they removed the baffles on the side pipes. Test Drive Sold.

shlby500 said:
Now for a larger dealership in the chicago area that has sold 3 LS's this year they say they haven't programmed one yet for trackey. My understanding is that the car came from ford with the red key and there isn't anything that has to be ordered. Any reason not to do this asap.
No reason but they will need an activation code to activate TK (the red key) and they do not come with the car. It's an aftermarket part sold by Ford Racing and must be ordered by the dealer. Good luck!

thanks for info , sound like that will take some time then, too bad they can't email the code , but above did seem like some packet came along then people went back to get the work done. the trackey.ford.com website seems to indicate the same. I'm just hoping they might have gone thru the order process for the first person that was to buy the car and then delayed.

batman48195

I confirmed with my brother, a GM at a Ford dealer, that a car is not eligible for the extended warranty when track key is installed. The person above who bought the plan should go back in and get a refund from the Ford dealer. Congrats to you that you found a great dealer that delivers a high level of customer service and believes you are doing them a favor by buying a car from them versus doing you a favor by selling a car to you. As for the red key it acts like the silver key until programmed. The car runs so much better on the track key software that if I use the silver key it runs like a kid after he takes Benedryl (sleepy).

Enjoy. This car turns heads, even the heads of car owners who spent twice as much as you.

Brian

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Re: Re: Track Key Installed today! - I'm Impressed

batman48195 said:
I confirmed with my brother, a GM at a Ford dealer, that a car is not eligible for the extended warranty when track key is installed. The person above who bought the plan should go back in and get a refund from the Ford dealer. Congrats to you that you found a great dealer that delivers a high level of customer service and believes you are doing them a favor by buying a car from them versus doing you a favor by selling a car to you. As for the red key it acts like the silver key until programmed. The car runs so much better on the track key software that if I use the silver key it runs like a kid after he takes Benedryl (sleepy).

Enjoy. This car turns heads, even the heads of car owners who spent twice as much as you.

Brian
Im glad I stumbled across this, I purchased the extended warranty when I bought my car. The TracKey wasent even available yet. So your saying I should get my money back.?
I thought the factory warranty was still good even with TracKey, and that it's only covered 3/36 only if the problem directly relates to the TracKey - options

batman48195

Yes. You should get your money back. The powertrain warranty is reduced to 36/36 but really who cares as most people aren't beating on the car and if it is being used as a track car you have to put in a lot of laps to get to 36000 miles. Lol.

Brian

I've read this and questioned this with my dealer and Ford Racing and was told if you have the Ford Extended plan and not a 3rd party plan that is not the case. They will have to prove the red key is what caused the warranty issue to not honor a claim.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Re: Re: Track Key Installed today! - I'm Impressed

Darth Boss said:
I've read this and questioned this with my dealer and Ford Racing and was told if you have the Ford Extended plan and not a 3rd party plan that is not the case. They will have to prove the red key is what caused the warranty issue to not honor a claim.
My problem is I bought my Boss and ESP before Ford TracKey was available, and I was led to believe ONLY claims that can be directly related to TracKey USE will only be covered 3/36
I on the other hand have 7yrs/ 50,000 miles.

batman48195

The best thing is to call the phone number on your ESP paperwork and let us know what they say. As others on the board here will tell you a lot of dealers didn't know that Ford was even offering a Boss 302 and had to educate them.

Brian

This has been discussed in several different threads. Depending on what dealer you talk to, you get a different answer. Ford customer care has responded to this question and stated that track key DOES NOT NEGATE any extended warranty plans. It does negate the extended plan if there is failure during track key usage, ie if you are tracking the car with the red key and blow your motor. If you are driving down the road and throw a rod under normal driving conditions, your extended warranty will still be in effect...this is a quote from customer care:

Hello my awesome members!!

So, great news about the TracKey coming out!! Now, to clarify on the warranty questions… This will be like any other FRPP aftermarket part that you add to your vehicle with one exeption; the repairs will be covered longer than 12/12. The 5 yr/60K mile Powertrain warranty will stay in effect. If the the TracKey programming causes any concern, that specific repair will be covered for 3yrs or 36,000 miles. This is great coverage for an aftermarket part on your vehicle. If you have any ESP, the same rules will apply.

Let me also mention the fuel changes: You’ll be using 91 octane fuel or higher to avoid any engine damage. Please note: damage caused by low octane fuel will not be covered under the Ford Racing limited warranty.

Please continue to enjoy your Bosses!!! If you guys ever need anything, just PM me. Have an awesome day!!

Deysha
__________________Ford Customer Service Divisionp: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordCustService @FordMustang @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordMustang facebook.com/Ford

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel