The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Key Installed today! - I'm Impressed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
unrealford said:
Justin said:
askjeffro said:
So many varied opinions... what to do...
As to if you should get the trackey?

Warranty aside.
I have had the trackey, the JLP hot rod cam idle tune, steeda 93 ghost idle tune and steeda 93 reg idle tune.
this is how I rank them
1. Steeda Reg idle tune
2. Trackey
3. Steeda Ghost Idle tune
4. JLP Hot rod idle tune

If I knew then what I know now. I would have just went with the Steeda Boss CAI and steeda tune from the start and skipped the others. Just my .02.

If you are worried about warranty get the trackey. if you are worried about it blowing up on the track (track with turns kinda tracks) then go with the trackey because you get a warranty. If you are like me and use it as a DD with drag racing here and there and dont care so much with the warranty becoming an issue go with the steeda set up.

Did you notice any better times at drag strip? Im thinking of getting a tune from Justin at VMP,

My best time at track is 12.22@144,43 stock except UCA and tires.
Dont know yet I ran the 12.22 stock as well except et street back tires. havent had a day to take it to the track that it wasnt raining and I had off

Justin

JonW said:
It took me until the first time I leaned on my car hard taking it thru some of the twisty backroads we have around here to appreciate the red key fully. During those runs, I typically keep the tach between 3000-6000 RPM continuously. I can tell a distinct difference with the red key under those conditions. I like the extra exhaust note, the improved engine braking, etc. We don't have a road course close to where I live so I doubt my car will see much track duty. And I'm not a drag racer. So for those reasons I prefer the TracKey over an aftermarket tune. I suppose if I were a drag racer and was trying to squeeze every tenth out of my car the aftermarket tune might be appealing. Considering that Ford had to keep the TracKey within 50-state emissions compliance, provide a warranty, and keep it easy to use, I think they did a great job. I'm impressed also.
Thats what I said too till I got a steeda tune. If you dont want to add stuff like CAI or long tube headers etc then yes trackey it up. But really for what you are doing I still recommend getting a Steeda CAI and steeda tune. I am getting slightly better MPG the car is faster. Seems like a win win to me unless you are afraid of having to battle about warranty problems down the road.

CrashTex

Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow
Yeah.... I get the trackey active message but no pit lane function.... I don't think the dealer successfully programmed the PCM. It'll be a week before I'm back in town so I can get them to complete the work.

orng302 said:
cbj5259 said:
I purchased the extended bumper to bumper warranty (7years). Does this mean if I install trackey that it voids my extended warranty? If so...I want my money back, because I plan on installing trackey!
It does not void the warranty but it does change the terms of the extended warranty, which in the end means the money you spent on the extended warranty was for nothing. This is why I chose not to get the track key as I already had the extended warranty for 9 mos. when the track key was released.

Can you explain? I too have the extended warranty but it's possible to 'undo' it still. How does it make the extended warranty worthless? I haven't installed Trackey yet so I'm trying to figure out what I should do.

If you get the track key your warranty is now for 3yrs. from the date you drove your car off the dealers lot.

Justin said:
orng302 said:
If you get the track key your warranty is now for 3yrs. from the date you drove your car off the dealers lot.
it only affects the powertrain portion.
Yes you are correct but it does change the terms, so why pay the extra dollars for the extended warranty when you are not getting all that you paid for.

Justin

orng302 said:
Justin said:
orng302 said:
it only affects the powertrain portion.
Yes you are correct but it does change the terms, so why pay the extra dollars for the extended warranty when you are not getting all that you paid for.
agreed that's why i didn't opt for it

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
I'll ask my brother as he is a GM at a Ford dealer. I can't believe that you would pay money for an extended warranty and get nothing for it.

Brian

Please let's us know what your brother says! I find it hard to believe that my extended warranty is now worthless because of a PCM upgrade????

Ive talked to a few other people who suggested that if a failure occurs as a direct result of the red key use it would only be covered under the 3/36 warranty. However if you have the extended and sometime 5 years from now you are driving down the road on the white key and throw a rod, it sounds like we would be covered. Just my take on it after reading a bunch of stuff from various sites. They would be able to tell what tune you were using when the failure occurred. I could be totally wrong too...Ford really needs to set the record straight on this subject.

Batman you are not getting nothing for it, don't misunderstand what is being posted, you are just not getting the full benefit of the ESP. This has already been discussed at great length on other threads, do a search and you will find them.

I am pretty disappointed with mine. Didnt see any real improvement on the dyno either. Granted, it was really hot that morning I went but I was anxious to see. Did 393hp at the wheels, switched keys on the 3rd or 4th run, but the IAT and cyl head temps had started to climb by then. Plus it is a pain in the rearend when you push the clutch in at 74-7500 and it stays on the floor until the RPM's drop. I will run both keys at the track this fall in the 1/4 and see how it does in cooler weather.

Trackey does not provide any increase in HP...it offers changes in engine parameters to enhance track performance (increased engine acceleration response & engine braking) as well as launch control & pit lane limits. It also gives you a watered down lopey idle (compared to the pre CA carb unrestricted version). I just run the black key, as I'm not tracking my Boss & want to keep my extended warranty in force.............to each he's own.....................

orng302 said:
Batman you are not getting nothing for it, don't misunderstand what is being posted, you are just not getting the full benefit of the ESP. This has already been discussed at great length on other threads, do a search and you will find them.

Easy on the double negatives. Please re write what you are trying to say.

CrashTex

Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow
Sweet. The dealership fixed the Trackey install..... Love it. On one of the threads someone wrote, to paraphrase, 'this is the way the Boss was meant to be.'

Well said.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
I don't care what Ford Racing publicly claims, I'm betting it's good for something around 15-20hp + torque. Will find out one day on my own with my own car on a dyno. For the numbers posted on this vid (no dyno sheet but why would he lie?) that seems in line with claims made by other Boss owner's who have done back to back pulls with the black key/red key.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNOD3flYuRA

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel