The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Key / Lopey Idle question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've read a lot about the Track Key and Lopey Idle but just need the facts straight....thought I'd get some good solid no BS answers in here. This shouldn't take too long. I could probably read my manual but considering I only have one post on here, this will get me more involved on the forum :)

So I took out the side exhaust baffles and MY GOD what a difference in the exhaust note - sounds like a blood gargling demon coming to kill me. So my first question is this:

1. It sounds like the side exhaust is being used without the track key active. I thought the back exhaust was only used until you activate the track idle.

2. Once the software is installed and I insert the track key, how do I activate lopey idle? I'm really confused on this one. Some directions said to hold down the "OK" button and blah blah. Other instructions stated to make sure engine temp is above 170 degrees etc....

THANKS!!!

BossBW_zps30c57261.jpg

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
The side exhausts are active at all times as there is no valve or switch that controls them. As for lopey idle, it will become active with the track key after the car reaches a certain temperature (I think 170 degrees) and after it has been running 2 minutes. Holding a button down on the steering wheel on start up will disable lopey idle.

Also, you have to pay to have the track key software installed. The car just comes with the key.

More info here. http://www.fordracingparts.com/trackey/include/TracKey_Dealer_Technician_Instructions_V2.0.pdf

Brian

yankeehick said:
I've read a lot about the Track Key and Lopey Idle but just need the facts straight....thought I'd get some good solid no BS answers in here. This shouldn't take too long. I could probably read my manual but considering I only have one post on here, this will get me more involved on the forum :)

So I took out the side exhaust baffles and MY GOD what a difference in the exhaust note - sounds like a blood gargling demon coming to kill me. So my first question is this:

1. It sounds like the side exhaust is being used without the track key active. I thought the back exhaust was only used until you activate the track idle.

2. Once the software is installed and I insert the track key, how do I activate lopey idle? I'm really confused on this one. Some directions said to hold down the "OK" button and blah blah. Other instructions stated to make sure engine temp is above 170 degrees etc....

THANKS!!!

a>
Helo... yankeehick. Yes, TK is somewhat confusing and there's quite a bit of misunderstanding about it out there.

1. The exhaust is separate from TK...they are not correlated in terms of function. When you take out the baffles, you get much more sound and some flow out of the side pipes, but most of the exhaust flow continues to exit out the rear of the car, whichever key you use.

2. Once you have had a dealer activate the TK program in your car's PCM, whenever you use your Trackey (the "red" key), the lopey idle function and other TK-specific PCM function will happen automatically. No other action needed on your part.

The 170 deg figure you cite has to do with one of the engine operating parameters that has to be met before the lopey idle function will be enabled by the car's PCM when using TK. The parameters that have to be met for the PCM to enable lopey idle are: 1) engine coolant has to reach an operating temp of 170 deg F for at least 130 seconds, 2) the engine cannot be at idle, and 3) no "P300" series engine fault codes in the PCM. This bit about "the engine cannot be at idle" simply means that the PCM won't enable the lopey idle if you just sit there at idle and wait for the coolant temp to hit the 170 deg F for 130 sec parameter; you have to also get the throttle off idle, whether you're driving around, or blip it if sitting stationary, and PCM will enable the lopey idle once that is done (again, along with/in addition to the temp parameter being met).

This all happens automatically and as you're driving you'll know the PCM has enabled the lopey idle function when you see the "Trackey Engine Idle Enabled" message come up on the small LCD display on the dash (you can then hit the "Select" button on the steering wheel to acknowledge/get rid of this message). And of course, you'll also hear the change in idle.

Hope this helps. Enjoy!

dabossinne said:
Helo... yankeehick. Yes, TK is somewhat confusing and there's quite a bit of misunderstanding about it out there.

1. The exhaust is separate from TK...they are not correlated in terms of function. When you take out the baffles, you get much more sound and some flow out of the side pipes, but most of the exhaust flow continues to exit and the rear of the car, whichever key you use.

2. Once you have had a dealer activate the TK program in your car's PCM, whenever you use your Trackey (the "red" key), the lopey idle function and other TK-specific PCM function will happen automatically. No other action needed on your part.

The 170 deg figure you cite has to do with one of the engine operating parameters that has to be met before the lopey idle function will be enabled by the car's PCM when using TK. The parameters that have to be met for the PCM to enable lopey idle are: 1) engine coolant has to reach an operating temp of 170 deg F for at least 130 seconds, 2) the engine cannot be at idle, and 3) no "P300" series engine fault codes in the PCM. This bit about "the engine cannot be at idle" simply means that the PCM won't enable the lopey idle if you just sit there at idle and wait for the coolant temp to hit the 170 deg F for 130 sec parameter; you have to also get the throttle off idle, whether you're driving around, or blip it if sitting stationary, and PCM will enable the lopey idle once that is done (again, along with/in addition to the temp parameter being met).

This all happens automatically and as you're driving you'll know the PCM has enabled the lopey idle function when you see the "Trackey Engine Idle Enabled" message come up on the small LCD display on the dash (you can then hit the "Select" button on the steering wheel to acknowledge/get rid of this message). And of course, you'll also hear the change in idle.

Hope this helps. Enjoy!

THANK YOU!!! Wow, so helpful in here. Thanks to the both of you for your quick responses. :)

I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this or not but when the car goes into the "track key engine enabled" mode you get the little chime like your seat belts not fastened. It's funny once you take out the baffles you get all this noise coming from the sides but it's pretty quiet still coming out the back with the stock mufflers.
Nice choice on wheels by the way ;D

Well, for the second time, I took my car to the dealership to have the trac key activated. After 7 hours, they were still not able to get it to download. According to them, just as last Monday, Ford is having problems with their websight, so the download will not complete...think Im just gonna install my JLT intake and Bama download and say to heck with the trac key and Fords websight...

DKL said:
Well, for the second time, I took my car to the dealership to have the trac key activated. After 7 hours, they were still not able to get it to download. According to them, just as last Monday, Ford is having problems with their websight, so the download will not complete...think Im just gonna install my JLT intake and Bama download and say to heck with the trac key and Fords websight...
Mine was activated Friday, no problems. I'm kinda doubting your dealer's "explanation." I'd try another dealer.

yankeehick said:

THANKS!!!

Welcome from a fellow nembie. First your car is looking good. Are those the forgestar f14's? if so are those in 19 or 20"? And are they piano black or matte black? I have been wondering if its worth waiting for the piano black ones since I can get the matte black forgestars shipped tom.

DKL said:

The same thing happened to me last week! They said the ford server was down and that no matter what dealer I went to I couldn't get it done. So I paid for the software and now I'm just waiting for the server to come back up. Not sure when this will happen - maybe it's back to normal now.

13FLBoss said:
yankeehick said:
Welcome from a fellow nembie. First your car is looking good. Are those the forgestar f14's? if so are those in 19 or 20"? And are they piano black or matte black? I have been wondering if its worth waiting for the piano black ones since I can get the matte black forgestars shipped tom.

20" forgestar F14 is correct sir. They were originally matte black but something happened to the finish and I had to get them re-sprayed so I brought the wheels to a great shop here and they put a semi gloss finish which would be between matte and piano in my opinion. Not too shiny but not dull either. I'm thinking of lowering the car 1.5 rear and 1 in the front.

yankeehick said:
20" forgestar F14 is correct sir. They were originally matte black but something happened to the finish and I had to get them re-sprayed so I brought the wheels to a great shop here and they put a semi gloss finish which would be between matte and piano in my opinion. Not too shiny but not dull either. I'm thinking of lowering the car 1.5 rear and 1 in the front.

yeah. I was hoping the bigger size would eliminate most of the wheel gap. but there is still a little. esp in the back. are you running 35 profile tires on front and back? im wondering if putting 45 profile would eliminate the gap without lowering a car that already barely gets the front lip over speed bumps. thanks for the info

13FLBoss said:
yeah. I was hoping the bigger size would eliminate most of the wheel gap. but there is still a little. esp in the back. are you running 35 profile tires on front and back? im wondering if putting 45 profile would eliminate the gap without lowering a car that already barely gets the front lip over speed bumps. thanks for the info

Yes I'm running 35 in front and back. Instead of going 45, I have finally decided on an eibach sportline kit. It will lower the car 1.8 in rear and 1.0 in the front - will look sick when it's done. I'll have pics up soon. Trying to get this done ASAP but the shop I want it done at is backed up to Algeria. :(

yankeehick said:
Yes I'm running 35 in front and back. Instead of going 45, I have finally decided on an eibach sportline kit. It will lower the car 1.8 in rear and 1.0 in the front - will look sick when it's done. I'll have pics up soon. Trying to get this done ASAP but the shop I want it done at is backed up to Algeria. :(

Im looking forward to seeing your final pics lowered. If you could after the install.......can you measure the distance between the bottom of your front lip and the ground for me? depending on the length I may just go against my better judgement and lower it.

Glad to see that wasn't the only one who had problems getting the TK program installed. My dealer had to keep my car over night. Their explanation, "Ford's web site was down".

However, it was well worth the wait. I love the TK program and the lopey idle. I use the TK most of the time.

I have considered doing 40 walls on the tires, but with a 20" wheel, your overall tire diameter would be massive, not to mention just looking a little weird. Even 315/35/20 look HUGE on a S197. Lowering a little and then making up the rest with a little increase in tire dimensions would be the go in my opinion.

13FLBoss said:
Im looking forward to seeing your final pics lowered. If you could after the install.......can you measure the distance between the bottom of your front lip and the ground for me? depending on the length I may just go against my better judgement and lower it.

I will most certainly let you know! I just ordered the components (springs, panhard, and camber plates). Will get more pics in here within 2 weeks for sure!!

yankeehick said:

THANKS!!!

BossBW_zps30c57261.jpg

1. Track key and exhaust are not related
2. Lopey idle wil activate automatically when the parameters are met

TMO Supporting Vendors