The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track key q

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGCurry

2013 Boss 302 #1548 SBY
Got my track key today and so far so good Lopy idle is fun and wow the engine braking the moment you lift the throttle but here I the odd part

They programmed the red key that came with my car
In the voucher pack envelope is another red key cut to my locks but not programmed to the car I read you can only use one track key can I use this as a spare reg key?

Also afraid to program it like I would older fords but would be afraid to mess up track key

rytedy6y.jpg
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My understanding is the red keys have unique chips in them so it won't work. You could always try it and see if it works. I doubt you will lose the program in the red key that works.

I'd think that the non-Trackey programmed red key would work as a spare key. If you try it and it starts the car, but doesn't throw the Trackey message, then it's a spare key. When I tried my red key before the programming, it just acted like the silver key. So I don't think it would mess anything up by trying.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I have a Spare Red Key.

It functions only as a spare silver/black key.

If you do loose the original red kay, the spare can be programed, but only one active red key per car.

My dealer was cool about it. They thought we could have more than one red key active. When that did not work out, the gave me the second free of charge.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Not exactly.

I believe you have to insert two other programmed cars before the key you are setting up.

Check the manual to be sure. The idea is that a valet or someone with access like a service tech, cannot cut a spare key and program the spare. Only to later take your car.

I do know that if you loose one key, are down to one, you get to visit Ford.

Hey MGCURRY are you Mike also from newschoolmuscle? If so what dealer did you use for the track key install? Did you buy the voucher from Benny over at Levittown Ford? I'd also like to know if he got lucky with the second red key or it comes with another when you purchase the voucher. I'm thinking of getting the track key soon so wanna know which dealer you used.

WinterSucks said:
Do the vouchers normally include an extra key or did he just get lucky?

They didn't when I got mine and that was when it was first released. I wish I would have gotten a spare, I can only find them for about $128 on ebay.

TMO Supporting Vendors