The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Key Software and Ford Parts $aving$ >>

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
hotrodnut said:
Benjammin1829 said:
Guys;

Let get this straight, this dealership in MN will ship the TK application to me to take to my dealership to install; all for 220.00???? I was talking to a friend who owns his own shop and has the same Boss 302 as I do, and he advised that the dealership I got my Boss from isn't a "performance" rated dealership. He seem to think I had to take it to one of about 3 dealerships in the Metro DC/MD/VA area to get my TK applied. According to the post I just read, all the dealership needs to do is get the "voucher" apply the data from the "voucher" and I'm all set. Total cost...$220.00 for voucher???? Is this correct??? If so, I'm calling that dealership in MN as soon as they open! ;D ;D

Thanks Guys!!!!

Ben

You'll probably have to pay for labor for the install, most Dealers are charging an hour.
yeah the dealership that installs it will charge you labor. I found that if you go to fordracingparts and find the track key then click on where to buy enter your zip it will show you the dealers that can install the software.

the payment for my track key posted yesterday so my voucher is in the mail

My understanding it any dealer with a laptop can install the software and expect a minimum of one hour labor.

Justin

5 DOT 0 said:
My understanding it any dealer with a laptop can install the software and expect a minimum of one hour labor.
seeing how the dealer I bought the boss from had no clue as to what a track key was I dont think I want them to do it. then add to it that they didnt know the car had side exhaust and when they put it on a lift they ended up pushing it out of the rear hanger my faith in there abilities just isnt there.

boss2511 said:
5 DOT 0 said:
seeing how the dealer I bought the boss from had no clue as to what a track key was I dont think I want them to do it. then add to it that they didnt know the car had side exhaust and when they put it on a lift they ended up pushing it out of the rear hanger my faith in there abilities just isnt there.
I purchased mine from an approved Ford Racing dealer and they had no clue how to install it. :p It's just not that big of a deal. As long as the dealer has the latest software installed on their laptop anyone can install it.

Just left my dealer. It only took 3 hours to install :mad: 3 techs and 2 laptops.
Noticed idle seem higher (some lope) and it runs hotter (smell burnt exhaust) is this normal?

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
If they charged you 3 hours labor for the install you should complain - that's reflective of the fact that they had either internet connectivity issues or they found that they didn't have the right version of the laptop software. Even though there is no guarantee on the time it should take they should not ding you for their incompetence.

You should not be running hotter nor should you have any abnormal smell from the exhaust or otherwise. As for the idle RPM, I don't believe this should be any different but I don't recall my specific before/after idle settings.

(Just edited: Added 'Internet' before 'connectivity' in case that wasn't clear)

I was only charged for the 1 hr, I was already to put up a fight if i wasn't haha, I haven't heard of any bad installs YET.... so I will just have to have more seat time to see if she is running hotter. I definately hear the side exhaust at idle more now than with the silver key.

Justin

Fordman9870 said:
I was only charged for the 1 hr, I was already to put up a fight if i wasn't haha, I haven't heard of any bad installs YET.... so I will just have to have more seat time to see if she is running hotter. I definately hear the side exhaust at idle more now than with the silver key.
does the temp gauge read higher now?

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Fordman9870 said:

Cool - At least they did the right thing cost wise.

I only drove it for 5 minutes back to work, I will have to check. but then again i really dont trust the C---H guage.

I noticed the same smell when i uncorked the sides, maybe with the exhaust being more now with the key it is just raising the temp enough to get that brand new exhaust smell (yuck)

PeteInCT

Connecticut
A great investment is the Aeroforce Interceptor gauge. It will allow you to monitor coolant and cylinder heads temps with a digital readout as reported by the PCM output (OBDII port). With all of the challenges that have been popping up about proper engine cooling, this is a good way to make sure you don't go over the edge' on temps.

With the Roush vent pod (pay no attention to the Head Temp value here, I can explain in a PM):
2012-01-14_12-36-10_76.jpg

Those aeroforce gauges are sweet. I was going to by them for the same reason on my Cobra before i sold it.
I may have to pick one up.

After lunch... smell is gone (exhaust smell that is..) I am sure it was due to more exhaust (hotter) gasses coming through the quads when loppy idle is engaged.

PeteInCT said:
A great investment is the Aeroforce Interceptor gauge. It will allow you to monitor coolant and cylinder heads temps with a digital readout as reported by the PCM output (OBDII port). With all of the challenges that have been popping up about proper engine cooling, this is a good way to make sure you don't go over the edge' on temps.

Agree! This is on my short list....

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel