The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Key throttle map--is it 1:1?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Kyle
This is a tuner question or Ford Engineer. I don't think the ratio is ever 1:1, there are many variables that come into play as the engine increases revs. If the throttle blades snapped open directly with pedal input there would be a big mis match in air required and air available, would probably cause some mixture issues and a big bog as air velocity is lost. There is I think an air volume calculation that controls the throttle blade angle and injector pulse to maximize efficiency. With my CJ Mani and TB my max throttle angle at full throttle and 7800 rpm is only 83.4 degrees. I can try and do a data log to sample some points but alas I don't have Track Key programming to answer your real question.
Steve

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
I noticed very similar readings to what Steve got, I never did see 100% at WOT...even at 82xx red line that I currently have. I've data logged several times and it's always been in the low to mid 80% at WOT. Of course this is after Track Key has been withdrawn from the ECU.

Are you having issues with Track Key? Or are you trying to figure out some upgrades?? I'm fairly confident Shaun fro AED could provide you with a solid answer. He emulates engine braking and lopey idle from track key.

Wayne

Senderofan

I just checked my last WOT data log. Max Actual throttle angle was 82.00 with max rpm 8241. And I had the "Go pedal" matted to the floor.

Wayne

Just trying to figure out best way to upgrade. I think I'd prefer a TK tune cause I'm not looking for more power and I like the idea of being able to choose which tune I want to run.

Maybe a better question is: Is the TK throttle response as good as any other tune?

Senderofan

cosm3os said:
Just trying to figure out best way to upgrade. I think I'd prefer a TK tune cause I'm not looking for more power and I like the idea of being able to choose which tune I want to run.

Maybe a better question is: Is the TK throttle response as good as any other tune?

Gotcha....I received three different tunes that I can run from Shaun. Granted it's not as easy as picking which key to use....but to switch tunes is only a matter of 5-10 minutes. One tune is a street performance and one is a road course performance tune. Two different animals...with the road course disabling all the electronic nannies and doing something with the ABS and I'm sure it will have more aggressive engine braking than the street tune....haven't had a chance to try it since my first track date saw significant rain....so I left the electronic nannies on. Shaun did tell me he dials in some engine braking with most of his tunes....you can probably have him dial in as much or little as you want.

In any event....Track Key is nice...Ford obviously spent a lot of time and resources to perfect that tune. I think top aftermarket tuners are catching up with different aspects of that tune and offer the flexibility to accommodate performance enhancements. I can appreciate wanting to stay stock and keep ones warranty intact. If you ever decide to kick up the performance a notch at least you'll know there's a solid knowledge base out there and extremely competent tuners to help you reach your goal. With a few simple bolt-ons and tuning....it becomes even more apparent what wonderful engineering went into these motors. Almost a cross between a nascar motor and an exotic like Ferrari.

Wayne

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Only thing about Track Key I don't like is that it doesn't increase power like an aftermarket tune. I understand why and if you don't want to make more power that's cool but for $302 I really don't think it will make lap times go down, whereas an AED or Steeda tune will make power increases that can be measured both on the dyno and at the strip in MPH trap speeds. This will help lap times decrease, at the expense of Factory warranty.
Steve

If I wanted a good tune, I would def go to AED. But I dont necessarily want/need moar powa, and I want to be able to switch back and forth easily.

It'd be nice if AED would do what the euro guys (audi BMW) allowing them to switch back and forth with the cruise toggle.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
cosm3os said:
steveespo said:
Kyle
This is a tuner question or Ford Engineer. I don't think the ratio is ever 1:1, there are many variables that come into play as the engine increases revs.

Saw your question when you first posted, and Steve's post really explains why you didn't get an answer to your original question!

cosm3os said:

I have both the TK for the Boss and the FRPP ProCal tune for my GT. The throttle response and engine braking are similar. Very much needed for heel toe and rev matching. The stock GT tune just plain *sucks* for throttle control and (lack of) engine braking which really makes it poor for any track use. There isn't as big a difference in response on the Boss between the keys, but a huge difference on the GT. The improvement in low end torque is also a plus.

I'm pretty sure the TK for GT tune will be the same ProCal tune, but maybe with the lopey idle and launch control added plus any other doodads that I don't have for my GT.

Just get it. I'm sure you won't have any regrets. And you'll make at least one GT owner jealous! ;)

TMO Supporting Vendors