The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Key Tune

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just spent the last hour searching to see if anyone had a tune done using the Track Key. I could only find posts doing it with the standard key.

The tuners I have talked to so far all say they do it with the standard key.

Anyone have a tune using the Red Track Key?

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
do you mean has anyone gotten an aftermarket tune after getting the trackey programmed? I had the trackey on my car I now run AED tunes. I load the tunes with the silver key. I can use the red key to drive it but it will still give me the trackey in use warning.

Justin

as far as I know though a tuner hasnt come out with a tune that will tune over top of the trackey tune. ie you lose the 2-step, lopey idle etc using an aftermarket tune. but you can revert to the trackey by reloading the factory tune.

Justin said:
as far as I know though a tuner hasnt come out with a tune that will tune over top of the trackey tune. ie you lose the 2-step, lopey idle etc using an aftermarket tune. but you can revert to the trackey by reloading the factory tune.

Do you have to return to the dealer to "reload the factory tune"? Do you mean Trak Key tune?

Whats better.... an AED tune or the Trak Key tune?
And if you do a custom tune on the silver can you still use the TheTtrak Key tune that comes from Ford?

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Re: Re: Track Key Tune

302Boss Hog said:
Whats better.... an AED tune or the Trak Key tune?
And if you do a custom tune on the silver can you still use the TheTtrak Key tune that comes from Ford?
Well when you say what's better, do you mean hp?
I have trackey, and I have a Steeda tune in Grey key.
I can run either one, but to go from either one you can't just switch keys. You have to use. SCT or handheld tuner now.
You won't have to go to dealer just use a handheld tuner.
Now that I have a Steeda tune WITH a CAI I can't use factory tune or Trackey, unless I put factory airbox back on.

Justin

I personally prefer the aed tune and steeda cai over the trackey.

I have had a few tunes
jlp
steeda
and AED

AED blows away steeda and jlp well worth the extra money

Yes, better meaning more HP.
I was told the track key didnt gain you any more HP. Is that not true?
394!?! Thats great! I've been reading most stock Bosses are putting out 379.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84

302Boss Hog said:
Yes, better meaning more HP.
I was told the track key didnt gain you any more HP. Is that not true?
394!?! Thats great! I've been reading most stock Bosses are putting out 379.
I got more Trq with Trackey but more HP with Grey key.
But at the drag strip the Trackey gives me more performance.

unrealford said:
I got more Trq with Trackey but more HP with Grey key.
But at the drag strip the Trackey gives me more performance.

Are you saying trak key gives you more performance at the track that the Steeda tune with the CAI? Did you forget to update your signature with your current mods?

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Re: Re: Re: Track Key Tune

seca954 said:
Are you saying trak key gives you more performance at the track that the Steeda tune with the CAI? Did you forget to update your signature with your current mods?
I haven't ran the Steeda tune yet.

just took my car into dealer yesterday for the random mis-fire issues on my 013' Boss. My dealer wouldn't touch the car until they consulted with Ford Racing (a good thing!) and one of the fixes was installation of a NEW Track key program just released within the last week. Anyone else familiar with this latest update? Haven't driven the car enough since the install to determine if any "seat of the pants" differences but it did feel VERY strong on the way home. After pulling into my garage I did not a different smell which was kind of like gun powder. Could this be un-burned fuel?? "I love the smell of napalm in the morning, smells like.......VICTORY"

Justin

geneva said:
just took my car into dealer yesterday for the random mis-fire issues on my 013' Boss. My dealer wouldn't touch the car until they consulted with Ford Racing (a good thing!) and one of the fixes was installation of a NEW Track key program just released within the last week. Anyone else familiar with this latest update? Haven't driven the car enough since the install to determine if any "seat of the pants" differences but it did feel VERY strong on the way home. After pulling into my garage I did not a different smell which was kind of like gun powder. Could this be un-burned fuel?? "I love the smell of napalm in the morning, smells like.......VICTORY"
that smell is your cats. lopey idle seems to cause the cats to smell like that

Okay so lets get one thing straight.

I have the Trackey and have a iTSX tuner on order. When the new tunes comes in and I start using it, the stock tune will be saved onto the tuner. When I revert back to the stock tune, will the trackey also come back?

Justin

sadil said:
Okay so lets get one thing straight.

I have the Trackey and have a iTSX tuner on order. When the new tunes comes in and I start using it, the stock tune will be saved onto the tuner. When I revert back to the stock tune, will the trackey also come back?
thats how it works with my SCT handheld tuner. I would email SCT to make sure

When you go with a CAI that has a bigger MAF than stock than you can not just revert back to the stock tune because you are increasing the amount of air going into the engine but the stock tune can't account for the extra amount of air going into the engine. In order to run the track key you have to return the engine to stock. The only mod that I can recall that doesn't really require tuning are LTs, while you should tune for LTs to get the most out of them the wideband will adjust the tune for the long tubes.

The track key is based off the stock CAI (which the new Mustangs come with, while not an open element filter it is still a CAI) stock throttle body, stock Boss heads and cams and stock headers. If those parameters change than your tune will be out of wack.

TMO Supporting Vendors