The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track key update

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maui
BlazinBoss302 said:
racered302 said:
Any news that sounds legit is better then nothing at all. At least its on the radar. Would hate to get the trackey installed in the end of September - October time frame and have to wait until spring before I could have fun with it. Make for a long winter. That would be almost as bad as waiting to take delivery on my boss.

Hmm, I'm still wearing shorts and t-shirts down here in November....... Winter ain't so bad!! ;)

Ditto for me. Summer time all year round! I did call my dealer today and they knew nothing about the track key yet.. they told me to call back later towards the end of the month... ???

This is exactly what was on the latest FORD RACING email they sent out today.

ENHANCE YOUR RIDE
TracKey - Here's the Official Word
TracKey for the 2012 Boss 302 has generated a lot of buzz on the enthusiast forums. Here's the real deal:

TracKey is an aftermarket option, available exclusively through Ford & Lincoln Dealers. The TracKey option consists of two components:

The download of the TracKey performance software and calibration.
The reprogramming of the red key to enable activation of the performance calibration.
The TracKey calibration has an MSRP of $302 plus dealer installation. TracKey works with the 2012 Mustang BOSS 302 and is currently supported in the United States & Canada. The availability of TracKey will be officially announced at SEMA on November 2nd. Official TracKey information, a video and photos are available at www.trackey.ford.com.

The TracKey calibration has an MSRP of $302 plus dealer installation

When you guys go forward with this, please post what you're ending up paying for the whole thing. I'm expecting that standard dealer installation will be around $100 making the total cost around $400 for the tune. I'm still wishing Ford will give it to us (we just pay the dealer install charge), but I'm not holding my breath...

TheBlues9108 said:
It is only a software download the dealership should be able to get it via the internet or Ford Racing or whoever could FedEx a copy of the Trackey software overnight to the dealerships.

Why does FMC have to wait until the SEMA show in November to announce the date for the release of the TracKey? That sounds as if they are trying to buy more time.

I agree with all the BOSS Mustang Online and The Mustang Source posts that FMC should give each Boss owner the TracKey download at no charge.

I have tried several avenues to get the emission ratings of the Boss with and without TracKey but Ford will not provide me with that information.

I talked to Lisa Chiladakis at the California Air Resources Board Public Information Offices. She told me the emissions rating are by engine size and TracKey should not be any different than an aftermarket tune kit i.e. SCT Power Flash Tuner.

It is hard to believe the Boss with TracKey would have a significant higher Emission Ratings than the Shelby GT500.

I am even more convinced after reading Deysha‘s response that Ford is having other issues with TracKey besides getting it approved by CARB.

The Boss with TracKey should have breezed through CARB with a lower emission ratings than a Shelby GT 500.

I hope this time next month we all will be driving with TracKey activated,

Below is a reply from Deysha at Ford Customer Service Division. She monitors The Mustang Source. Com.

Thank you for reaching out to me. I looked into this with FRPP and this is what I found:

-The plan is to announce availability of TracKey at SEMA on November 2, 2011.

-We are working with the Vehicle Division on a Dealer Announcement that should go out the week of Oct 24.

-We will have a CARB Executive Order which makes it legal for sale in Green States and by default in non-Green States.

-The Boss 302 still has a catalytic converter and runs on pump premium fuel. Our race cars do not have catalytic converters, are not emissions legal, and run on 100 octane fuel.

-The production Boss 302 car meets California Tier 2 Bin 4 emissions as does the TracKey calibration, which is actually cleaner than the GT500.

-Also, SCT Tuners do not have an Executive Order, as referenced in your inquiry.

I hope this answers your questions. Hope you have a great weekend!

Deysha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordCustService @FordMustang @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordMustang facebook.com/Ford

TheBlues9108 said:
What type of training does a non Ford Racing dealership need? TracKey is not any different than any other aftermarket tune kit – plug and play.
To my knowledge, the Boss is the first vehicle to have a dual path PCM. Inherently that makes it different than any other aftermarket tune kit, not to mention, its activation is programmed to a specific key.....VERY DIFFERENT from any other aftermarket tune kit. So, whether the dealer is Ford Racing or not, they'll need to be trained to install and program it correctly.

In addition, my understanding is that the tune is VIN specific, so presumably the software could vary by vehicle depending on when it was built. I am speculating on that part, but there has to be some reason it's VIN specific.

MoscowBoss

BOSS 771
NC USA
I thought I had heard some time back that the VIN was required as part of the programing process but that was to act like a software key to protect their product. Basically confirming (tracking) a certain VIN had TracKey downloaded from the Ford system and to not let it be loaded again and again on other cars. So I am not so sure it is "VIN specific" as in the tune might be different but I really do not know anything much about it and the PCM.

A question I have is, does the PCM keep a VIN programed in it that could be compared or is it simply a number entered by the Ford tech. Anyway once it is downloaded once I am pretty confident they will not download it again without some type of Ford conformation that it is in fact the same VIN and is not being pirated......My thoughts for what its worth. Maybe someone who knows more about it can clarify and for sure once the Ford techs have the install training I am sure it will be cleared up.

BLAZN BOSS

I am as eager to get trackey as everyone else, it's going to be cool. I was at my dealer yesterday and the guru mechanic there that will be installing the program told me that most of us know as much as he does. They haven't told him anything yet. I think we all should just chill out, quit assuming , dreading, whining, wanting to sue , demand free stuff and just wait till the damn thing comes out, pay the $302 plus install and move on. Be happy that you own a car like you do and have fun!

Look on the bright side it might happen this year ;D I am guessing it will be more of a cool thing if you really are looking to go all out I would say get a tune.

I look forward to Nov. 2nd so we can move past all of this. I'm planning on having TK installed on Nov. 5th so take that as a sign that it will be available by then. ;)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel