The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track key update

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
65venom said:
I attended a Boss show at the Flat Rock plant last Friday and Dave Pericak ( The Chief Engineer for the 2012 Boss) gave a welcome speech. He stated that the main issue with the Track Key was with the State of California and that everything was worked out. He said we should contact our dealers early September.

Always California's fault. Give it to the other 49 states now and make the Californians suffer! :mad:

So I finally ran into another Boss in my hometown and had a chance to speak with the owner. His vehicle is red and black with just the basics....no Recaro's. He was thrilled to see another one too, since it appears we are the only one's right now in the area.

While talking with him, I showed him the problem with the seatbelt rubbing against the seats and he recommended a seatbelt cover to reduce the rubbing. (Looking into it) He also said he spoke to a Ford dealer today and mentioned Trackey should be in our hands in the next 20-30 days if not sooner......but then he went on to say in order to have it installed it must be a "Racing Ford" dealership.

I believe he may have some of his facts incorrect.......has anyone else heard of this?

Jza1736 said:
From what I understand, only the dealerships that sold a Boss, will get the programming.
That's the same thing I've heard, the dealer that sold the car can do the upgrade. Maybe if you bought your car in another state you would have to order it though the Ford Racing stealership.

We should get it just in time for the 40deg or lower temps when out Pirelli's turn in to hard plastic. It certainly will be easier to wipe out and land in a ditch. yea! I Really don't won't to wait until spring to try this out. Mid October is the start of the hibernation season for this Boss. Maybe I'll get a month in before that time comes. Fingers crossed.

When the track key was first announced the engineer responsible for it said that only a Ford Racing dealer would be able to program the key. It may have changed since then but I have not seen anything to that effect. Here is a link to an article from Ford that says it. It's at the bottom last paragraph.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=33540

I ask a Ford Engineer that is very close to the Boss program about the Trackey programming. He told me that any dealership could load Trackey. It's just a software program and every dealership does this on a regular basis. There is nothing special about the process.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2010/11/10/2012-mustang-boss-302-to-come-with-dual-sets-of-keys-for-both-street-and-track-calibrations/

This is another link to an article with the powertrain engineer Jeff Seamon and Dave Pericak mustang chief engineer that says the exact same thing the article in the first link states.

I just realized this is a link to the same article from Ford posted on another website.

Dean#4AI said:
I ask a Ford Engineer that is very close to the Boss program about the Trackey programming. He told me that any dealership could load Trackey. It's just a software program and every dealership does this on a regular basis. There is nothing special about the process.
Not only is Dean correct, I've proven it. My dealer is not a Ford Racing dealer, but my tech and I found the menu to load TracKey on his laptop. The path is already there just waiting for it to be released.

cloud9 said:
Dean#4AI said:
Not only is Dean correct, I've proven it. My dealer is not a Ford Racing dealer, but my tech and I found the menu to load TracKey on his laptop. The path is already there just waiting for it to be released.
From what I understand in past reading it's more the a software update there a ECU that gets installed too.

We are nearing the end of August with just 6 days left and fall creeping ever so much closer. Has anyone heard anything from a reliable source on when/if Trackey will become available?

Always awaiting the email from Ford!!!

BLAZN BOSS

The tech at my ford dealer called and it looks like sometime Sept..............once C.A.R.B authorizes it.

I was running today at MPH in my Boss. I had the opportunity to take a Laguna Seca out for a session with TracKey. To me the differences were very noticable. The most significant differences that I noticed were much more aggressive engine braking and significantly improved throttle response. I didn't have my laptimer in the Laguna Seca so I can't say for certain how much effect it had on laptimes. Since it wasn't my car I wasn't going to push it 10/10ths. Oh and by the way the lopey idle was pretty cool.

cloud9 said:
I was running today at MPH in my Boss. I had the opportunity to take a Laguna Seca out for a session with TracKey. To me the differences were very noticable. The most significant differences that I noticed were much more aggressive engine braking and significantly improved throttle response. I didn't have my laptimer in the Laguna Seca so I can't say for certain how much effect it had on laptimes. Since it wasn't my car I wasn't going to push it 10/10ths. Oh and by the way the lopey idle was pretty cool.

Gary, I can say I am officially jealous!

I am really trying to get out there for the event in September but unfortunately have to work that weekend! If I am unable to make it, I will do my best to hit up a Thursday before the snow/ice hits.

I spoke to a local Ford dealership today who I know is trustworthy and asked about TracKey.......unfortunately the only thing they could tell me was the release is anywhere from 2-60 days away!

Now I keep hearing of later this month but it would be nice to know a release date for sure. We are all awaiting this thing!!

60 more days? Seriously? Jeez, I waited almost as long for my Godkids to be born. I hope the calibration isn't as drastically "altered" as others have speculated. I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever it is since I don't know any better. Sometimes ignorance is bliss but sheesh! That was a selling point for me too.

But, nothing in my world compares to the lopey idle of my Cleveland...yet. Not that I'd ever drive the Boss in beast-mode on the street. Now I wanna go out to the garage and start up the 70.

Stupid CARB. I'm so irritated by ND-Mich game right now I'll end up on a Dennis Miller type-rant over air-quality hypocrisy if I don't stop typing. And I do environmental-type work for a living no less.

Shutting up now. ;D

I'm starting to wonder if they are waiting until the 2012 production ends before they release it. I guess I should be ready to go by spring when my car wakes up from it's winter hibernation.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel