The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track key update

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Today, my wife was scheduling for Boss Attack track day for myself and her in October. Yes, she is a car fan. The real news was the track staff said they got their track keys last week. He informed us to check with the dealerships at the end of the month. I know the rumor had been the end of the month, but it is good to hear they are finally out. ;D

Just because the MMP cars are programmed for TracKey, doesn't mean it's been released, or approved by CARB. I highly doubt those vehicles are being licensed for street use, and therefore wouldn't be subject to CARB. i.e. this does not mean TracKey has been released. I am hopeful it's not far off though.

But I hear Canadian Boss owners already have Trackey, eh? Hope I can get mine before 3 days at VIR on Labor Day weekend!

Any news that sounds legit is better then nothing at all. At least its on the radar. Would hate to get the trackey installed in the end of September - October time frame and have to wait until spring before I could have fun with it. Make for a long winter. That would be almost as bad as waiting to take delivery on my boss.

racered302 said:
Any news that sounds legit is better then nothing at all. At least its on the radar.

Agreed. I'm more of a glass half full than a half empty sort of guy. I wish I had more to go on, but, right now, that is the only news I have.

BLAZN BOSS

I was at my dealership Tuesday and the lead mechainic called ford cause 2 other Boss owners wanted their track key............The guy from Ford engineering said to give them 2 months........

2 months .... ugh.

How far away is the Boss from a Gas Guzzler tax? If the TracKey were to affect gas mileage in a negative way placing the Boss into gas guzzler status, could the Feds see this TracKey as a way to avoid a tax?

racered302 said:
Any news that sounds legit is better then nothing at all. At least its on the radar. Would hate to get the trackey installed in the end of September - October time frame and have to wait until spring before I could have fun with it. Make for a long winter. That would be almost as bad as waiting to take delivery on my boss.

Hmm, I'm still wearing shorts and t-shirts down here in November....... Winter ain't so bad!! ;)

I think Ford avoided the guzzler tax with trackey by stating that trackey is not meant for street use & should be used only on the track only. An added way of avoiding the tax was to make trackey an after purchase option. I'm sure the way trackey enhances acceleration & de-acceleration, mpg will be in the single digits. Not that any of you boys would use the red key for the street........

302BOB said:
I think Ford avoided the guzzler tax with trackey by stating that trackey is not meant for street use & should be used only on the track only. An added way of avoiding the tax was to make trackey an after purchase option. I'm sure the way trackey enhances acceleration & de-acceleration, mpg will be in the single digits. Not that any of you boys would use the red key for the street........

If the TracKey is not street legal for Guzzler computation, then why is it all of a sudden "street legal" to have to comply with CARB? I would think if the Feds don't consider it for guzzler purposes, then CARB should not consider it either. But then, we're dealing with governments...
So frustrating.

This whole CARB thing doesn't make any sense.It seems they are more concerned about emissions & things impacting the environment than they are about fuel mileage. It's not like thousands of BOSSES are being allocated to California to ruin their air quality. I couldn't even find trackey mentioned on their website?http://www.arb.ca.gov/homepage.htm

I attended a Boss show at the Flat Rock plant last Friday and Dave Pericak ( The Chief Engineer for the 2012 Boss) gave a welcome speech. He stated that the main issue with the Track Key was with the State of California and that everything was worked out. He said we should contact our dealers early September.

65venom said:
I attended a Boss show at the Flat Rock plant last Friday and Dave Pericak ( The Chief Engineer for the 2012 Boss) gave a welcome speech. He stated that the main issue with the Track Key was with the State of California and that everything was worked out. He said we should contact our dealers early September.
From the horse's mouth. That's great news. Hopefully early September is before September 8th when I leave for BIR ;D

Thanks for the info!

By my definition, there are three parts to a month - early, middle and end. With a month having roughly 30 days, I'd say early means 1-9, middle is 10-19, and end is 20+.

I hope you make your 8th.

If it has been worked out, I don't know why we have to wait. Updating the Ford Service Server can't take that long. It should be an overnight job.

TMO Supporting Vendors