The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Key Usage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My track key was activated this winter and I have yet to be able to try it out - however I was curious how much of a difference you feel it makes to the driving experience. Do you use it all the time, once in a while, never?

Goodies are in the mail (Borla exhaust s type, MGW shifter, air/oil sep, and more)..... if the weather doesn't warm up I am gonna keep ordering stuff. :)

Its not a night and day difference. I definitely noticed the increased engine braking and the lopey idle is a nice touch. I will say that I have not used the regular key since I got my track key installed though!

I wouldn't call it a night and day difference but you'll notice it. I drive with mine most of the time and use my silver key for longer fwy drives or when I know I'll be driving in heavy traffic. TK is fun and sounds cool driving around town. For me the lopey idle isn't that big of a deal but the car sounds more aggressive all around, especially on decel.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
NFSBOSS said:
I wouldn't call it a night and day difference but you'll notice it. I drive with mine most of the time and use my silver key for longer fwy drives or when I know I'll be driving in heavy traffic. TK is fun and sounds cool driving around town. For me the lopey idle isn't that big of a deal but the car sounds more aggressive all around, especially on decel.
+1 just a little better throttle response and engine decel. the lopey idle isnt that lopey to me. My AED tune now that is night and day difference and its lopey idle is much more noticeable :)

A while ago someone posted that the PCM has a learning function that knows which key your using and starts to adjust engine management based on how you drive. Since then I've been saving TracKey only for the track since I don't want it to learn that I normally drive like an old lady around town. Not sure if that's true or if anyone know more about PCM learning.

That being said I did note some differences from my Aeroforce gauge while I did drive with the TracKey. Seems that on decel, they knock ignition timing back a ton and keep the throttle much further open. My though on this is that when you tip in to the throttle, you can advance timing very quickly compared to increasing air flow.

Justin

NFSBOSS said:
Disconnect the battery for ten minutes to reset the PCM and you're good to go.
was told you can just touch the leads together and does it in instantly.

you will need to let it do idle relearn if you want the idle to be right

I recently got track key installed and have not used the silver key since then, even though the dealer did not install it correctly; I don't seem to be getting the lopey idle feature. I'll have to try Justin's tip from the other thread to verify if it tune got fully installed.

But to answer your question, you will feel most of the gain during mid-throttle situations. The car feels more responsive and can break the tires loose easier. The more aggressive engine breaking is also noticeable, which is where I'm taking most of the MPG hit. On downhills where I would normally gain speed off throttle with the silver key, I am now either maintaining speed or even slowing down. So expect a ~1mpg loss with the track key.

I was told by a very good source this learning stuff was all garbage and disconnecting or anything else does not matter. Trackey is Trackey

Justin

GTMikey said:
I was told by a very good source this learning stuff was all garbage and disconnecting or anything else does not matter. Trackey is Trackey
hmm that is funny my data logger says other wise.....it stores and adapts the timing and fuel maps by the knock sensors and other sensors. so if you got a bad tank of gas it will take a long time for the computer to add back in that timing once you get good gas.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Disconnecting battery, will clear some things, but a aftermarket tune you will never be able to hide. The typical diagnose at the dealer won't show a aftermarket tune was installed, but if there's extensive repairs needed there's a more in depth check they are required to check that will show mapping of a different tune previously installed.
I like the Trackey, but I do the silver key on long trips or off and on traffic, the throttle isn't as touchy and easier to manage in tight traffic.

Mild weather last night - despite the mud puddle in the driveway by the gate, I pulled out the boss and drove it with the track key. The change in idle was distinguishable - performance though I don't know the car in standard key well enough to say. So much fun to drive --- smiling ear to ear the whole time.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, makes sense using standard key on long trips or in traffic. I hope I don't have any timing or idle issues but the disconnect and reset with the battery seems simple.

Note: Every time I pass a cop or trooper I get a full head turn..... last night waiting to take a left turn with my car at idle a cop passes me through intersection, full head turn, and immediately pulls on to the shoulder of the road. I didn't get pulled over but I am not used to getting such special attention. ???

I share the view of others here:
- I definitely noticed the increased engine braking and the lopey idle is a nice touch
- TK is fun and sounds cool driving around town
- The car sounds more aggressive all around, especially on decal, I like the popping sound and the idle soft shaking of the car
- I use my silver key for longer fwy drives or when I know I'll be driving in heavy traffic

I have long tubes installed with green cats and so far I do not have any error codes. Seems to work fine. :)

Hey Justin, How does one do the idle relearn after resetting the PCM? I feel as if you have touched on this before but I can't find the thread and a search just brings me back to this one. Thanks in Advance!

New guy here. I just got my brand new 2013 Boss 302 yesterday (4-16-2013). My salesman said the track key had been activated already. How do I know if this is true. My dash says track key active, but it doesn't really sound that different. Like I said i'm knew to the boss community. Can anyone enlighten me, thanks.

KillerBoss said:
New guy here. I just got my brand new 2013 Boss 302 yesterday (4-16-2013). My salesman said the track key had been activated already. How do I know if this is true. My dash says track key active, but it doesn't really sound that different. Like I said i'm knew to the boss community. Can anyone enlighten me, thanks.

I am not an expert but this is how it works on my 2012:
It takes some time till the Track key is really active, you will see then a sign like engine track key enable or so which comes along with a sound. I believe it has to do that engine etc. needs first some warm up time for safety reasons.

So drive around for a while and at least after 10min. you should get the engine enable sound sign on the dash board and feel the difference and hear also the lopey idle when stopping.

TMO Supporting Vendors