The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Key Use & Oil Consumption?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For those of you that drive around town/hwy with track key, wondering if any of you have noticed if the car consumes more oil vs. the standard key.

I've recently been put on an Oil Consumption watch through my dealer. They did a fresh oil change prior to this, and etched two marks on the back of my oil dip stick. One at about the 7 litre mark, and another after adding an additional litre of oil, which fell mid way between the max level and min level hash marks.

So far i've put just over 500 kms. on the car, and the oil level has not budged off the top mark, which is surprising, given before I had the oil changed, I had added about 1.2 Litres of oil after only putting about 1300 kms. on the car. The only difference was......I had used the track key a few times driving the car.

Now wondering if the Track Key could be the culprit to the greater consumption??

PS> Just sent a sample of my last oil change oil to Blackstone Labs to be analyzed......will share when I get the results.

Mine sometimes burns oil, while street driving... Surprisingly none at the track, while using track key.
I think it might be the more aggressive engine braking that causes the additional oil consumption with the track key.

Hard to imagine a different mapping would cause oil consumption. Perhaps a different rate of consumption, but not binary.

Used both keys under various conditions with no difference in oil consumption.
After install, I used Red "Trackey" as the primary key for all street and a couple Open track events. Silver went in the draw as a spare.
Oil changes were every 3k miles and by that time, it would be down a 1/4qt

TMO Supporting Vendors