The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

track key warranty concern

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It really is starting to bother me that if you purchase track key and have an engine issue 40k down the road that there is a possiblility that it will not be taken care of due to track key installation. There is no way to tell how much of the engine will be affected but with over 200 parameters changed sounds like any running issue could be linked back to track key.

any thoughts from the group regarding this?

We've been discussing this topic here.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-general-forum/trackey-has-arrived-fords-email-to-all-ford-and-lincoln-dealers/

As the dealer email says:
"Installation of these select Ford Racing parts by an authorized dealer does not nullify the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. All engine, driveline and suspension warranty issues not related to installation of Ford Racing parts remain subject to existing manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty."
Pretty cool...

ChuckP read the e-mail again and you will see language that says a 3year 36k mile warranty will supplant the 5yr warranty that came with the car if you program and use your Trackey. Which says nothing about those of us who have an extended warranty. There is a legitimate reason why people on this and other forums are not liking what's in this latest announcement about the Trackey we have all been waiting for.

orng302 said:
ChuckP read the e-mail again and you will see language that says a 3year 36k mile warranty will supplant the 5yr warranty that came with the car if you program and use your Trackey. Which says nothing about those of us who have an extended warranty. There is a legitimate reason why people on this and other forums are not liking what's in this latest announcement about the Trackey we have all been waiting for.

That's not how I read it. Full 5 year warranty is in effect UNLESS the warranty issue is caused by use of TK, then it's a 3 year warranty. That's the way I read it.

This was posted by a Ford Customer Service rep on TMS:

"Hello my awesome members!!

So, great news about the TracKey coming out!! Now, to clarify on the warranty questions… This will be like any other FRPP aftermarket part that you add to your vehicle with one exeption; the repairs will be covered longer than 12/12. The 5 yr/60K mile Powertrain warranty will stay in effect. If the the TracKey programming causes any concern, that specific repair will be covered for 3yrs or 36,000 miles. This is great coverage for an aftermarket part on your vehicle. If you have any ESP, the same rules will apply.

Let me also mention the fuel changes: You’ll be using 91 octane fuel or higher to avoid any engine damage. Please note: damage caused by low octane fuel will not be covered under the Ford Racing limited warranty.

Please continue to enjoy your Bosses!!! If you guys ever need anything, just PM me. Have an awesome day!!

Deysha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordCustService @FordMustang @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordMustang facebook.com/Ford "

i just received this email:

Hi Warren,

The Trackey calibration will be available for purchase and installation beginning on November 2, 2011. Dealers will have all the necessary information on how to obtain the calibration, install the calibration, etc. Dealer will recieve the information on Trackey the week of 10/24/2011.

The delay in getting CARB approval was due to their concerns with the misfire monitor portion of the OBD II regulations. Specifically they were concerned that the midfire monitor would not be able to detect a misfire when Trackey was enabled. Ford had to prove that the misfire monitor was robust in detecting a misfire per OBD II requirements.

TracKey is warranted for factory-supplied material or workmanship, when installed on a Boss 302 or Laguna Seca by an authorized Ford or Lincoln Dealer, beginning upon dealer installation and registration of the part(s) with Ford Racing for the balance of 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the start date of the manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty. This Limited Warranty replaces the existing manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty for engine, driveline and suspension parts, when the warranted Ford Racing Part is identified as the causal part of a warrantable concern. Installation of these select Ford Racing parts by an authorized dealer does not nullify the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. All engine, driveline and suspension warranty issues not related to installation of Ford Racing parts remain subject to existing manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

I hope this addresses your concerns. Have a good day!

Sincerely,
Mary Anne
Ford Motor Company
North American Customer Relationship Center

Whammer said:
orng302 said:

That's not how I read it. Full 5 year warranty is in effect UNLESS the warranty issue is caused by use of TK, then it's a 3 year warranty. That's the way I read it.

That's how I read it too. However, that leaves the question is how do they determine if TK caused the problem?

GA
Ford and Ford Racing definitely needs to publish a good FAQ for Track Key. Everything I have read so far is confusing.

How is TracKey considered an aftermarket part? It was promoted as being available to all Boss owners as part of the whole Boss rollout. It is supplied by Ford, correct? Not an aftermarket company. It does seem pretty clear from the posts and some articles that have already cropped up that TracKey will limit the power train warranty to 3/36 if the dealer determines TracKey programming caused the issue. I would take that to mean the ECU would read out that TracKey tune was enabled when the trouble code came on, so that means if you use TracKey after 3 years or 36K that any powertrain related failure comes out of your pocket.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
boss2012 said:
It really is starting to bother me that if you purchase track key and have an engine issue 40k down the road that there is a possiblility that it will not be taken care of due to track key installation. There is no way to tell how much of the engine will be affected but with over 200 parameters changed sounds like any running issue could be linked back to track key.

any thoughts from the group regarding this?

IMHO, if the vehicle can make it to 36K months/36 months after Trackey is enabled it should make it to 5 year/60K no problem.

My experience is if the car breaks, it will do so in about the 1st 5 miles after the software is installed.

...just my $.02.

ChuckP said:
Whammer said:
orng302 said:

That's how I read it too. However, that leaves the question is how do they determine if TK caused the problem?

I don't have a clue as to how they determine if TK is the cause. I will say that this is where it really helps to have a good relationship with your dealership. I'm on very good terms with their SVT mechanic and service dept. and I'm very confident they will always look out for me if I have a problem.

It's ashame that FMC monitors these sites and reads the concerns and chooses not to respond to valid questions. Bottom line is, if 150 or so Boss owners could care less about the warranty change and 1400 have concerns and questions...FMC should address there concerns. I only see Boss owners going back and fourth against each other ???. This makes me wonder. I'm sure that if something goes wrong with one of the 150 or so who could care less at this point would have a change of heart when the bill is laid in front of them for repairs.
All it takes is FMC to answer warranty questions and explain why they changed the coverage and this thread would be put to rest. Do we as owners not have this right for an answer??
FMC had no problem promoting the car as a Race car with license plates and taking the 302s engine settings and installing them into your RED KEY without changing your warranty. So close yet so far away. I CAN wait till I get to read the first post of engine failure and sorry: you downloaded TRACK KEY and your out of warranty. It's still No Coverage no matter how nice you are to the Dealer. But we go back at least 3 years or was it 36,000 miles ago. I can only wonder how many people are laughing there assest off over this thread. STOP THE MADNESS ans STEP UP TO the PLATE. Till then I will invest my money in MRT/CJ PONY/BODY SHOP/STEEDA for all the body mods and retain a 5/60,000 warranty.
Track guys.......Keep us posted. For what it worth, I honestly hope I never hear of a problem involing TRACK KEY & WARRANTY.To me, my BOSS is more about looks. What it has from the factory will back up any body mods that I do to it. Enjoy your Boss what ever way you choose to. It's all about choice and freedom.

Can I interest you in a 2015 Mavrick?

Whammer said:
ChuckP said:
Whammer said:
orng302 said:

I don't have a clue as to how they determine if TK is the cause. I will say that this is where it really helps to have a good relationship with your dealership. I'm on very good terms with their SVT mechanic and service dept. and I'm very confident they will always look out for me if I have a problem.

What happens if the FMC does not reimburse your dealership? A dealership‘s service dept. will not stay in business if - they are not reimbursed by FMC for their warranty repairs.

I believe there is so much venting on forums about TracKey is because it caught everyone by surprised about the change in the warranty just days before it was released.

No one can deny FMC has not been forth coming about the TracKey program.

There have been many online articles about the loss/reduction of warranty with the installation of TracKey.

AutoBlog: “If Ford Mustang Boss 302 owners use TracKey, will their warranty be shortened?” http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/24/if-ford-mustang-boss-302-owners-use-trackey-will-their-warranty/

Mustang Daily: “TracKey to limit the Boss 302′s powertrain warranty to 3 years / 36,000 miles”, http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/10/24/trackey-to-limit-the-boss-302s-powertrain-warranty-to-3-years-36000-miles/

Auto Car New: “If Ford Mustang Boss 302 owners operate TracKey, will their guaranty be shortened?”, http://autocarnew.net/ford/if-ford-mustang-boss-302-owners-use-trackey-will-their-warranty-be-shortened/

We need to stop bickering among ourselves. We need to start writing letters to FMC expressing our concerns about how their adverting campaigns mislead about their TracKey program.

FMC first press release about TracKey was on 11 Nov 2010. In that press release it stated “without compromising factory warranty”

I feel by installing TracKey I will be compromising my factory warranty.

We have several choices with TracKey:

1. Do nothing and continue to rant, rave and bicker among us in on line forums.

2. Write or call and express your likes or dislikes about your Boss:
Ford Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center
Attention: Customer Relationship Supervisor
P.O. Box 6248
Dearborn, MI 48126-6248
1 800- 392-3673

3. File a complaint with your state attorney general or state consumer protection agency at: http://www.1-auto-car-loans.com/attorney-generals.htm

4. Give FMC a little time to rethink the woes of the Trackey program; in the mean time enjoy driving the best production vehicle FMC has built with or without TracKey.

My choice, for now, is to give FMC a little time to resolve the TracKey fiasco and enjoy driving the best production vehicle FMC has built - without TracKey!

FMC first press release about TracKey was on 11 Nov 2010. In that press release it stated “without compromising factory warranty”

Do you or anyone else have a copy of this?

I am resigned to the fact that Ford Racing parts thinks they are doing us a favor by offering the 3/36 warranty. with any other part from them unless installed at the time of purchase the warranty is 12/12. It is disappointing that none of this was mentioned and we were certainly misled by all previous press releases. I do not think Ford will be easily swayed to treat track key any differently than any other aftermarket tune or bolt on part, if the tune or part causes the damage then the tuner or parts supplier is responsible for repair cost not Ford. FRP is stepping up to the 3/36 very few aftermarket tuners would do the same.

all this said, I have spoken to a few people at Ford but most of them have no clue or will back the corporate decision as their job depends on it.

I will install track key and live with the change in warranty. I will also continue to help in the fight to get a full Ford backed warranty for the ful5/60.

All of the Boss owner's who can should fight for the same.

This is FMC TracKey press release on 11 Nov 2010; it was on Ford’s media website:

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=33540

2012 MUSTANG BOSS 302 LETS LOOSE WITH TRACKEY; CHOOSE STOCK OR FULL-RACE CALIBRATIONTracKey
, available for 2012 Mustang Boss 302 owners through Ford dealers, adds TracMode powertrain control software to the car for track use, providing full race calibration and two-stage launch control in addition to stock calibration, without compromising factory warranty

Using a dual-path powertrain control module (PCM), TracKey software is installed after the vehicle is purchased; accessed by a specially programmed vehicle key, new code coexists with stock Boss software, allowing drivers to choose between street or track use simply by selecting a key

No aftermarket chips or permanent modifications are made when TracKey is used, allowing owners to return to the stock setting by starting the car with a regular key

You hold two keys: One has a black Boss logo, the other red: Either will start your 2012 Mustang Boss 302. Slide the all-black key into the lock cylinder, give it a twist and you're treated to 444 ponies worth of smooth, streetable driving joy. Or choose red - the TracKey - and you have a competition-ready track car.

Login to download images.DEARBORN, Mich., Nov. 11, 2010 – You hold two keys: One has a black Boss logo, the other red: Either will start your 2012 Mustang Boss 302. Slide the all-black key into the lock cylinder, give it a twist and you’re treated to 444 ponies worth of smooth, streetable driving joy. Or choose red – the TracKey – and you have a competition-ready track car.

A joint project between Mustang engineers and Ford Racing, TracKey adds a second set of powertrain control module (PCM) software to a customer’s Mustang Boss 302, activated by a specially programmed vehicle key. When invoked by TracKey, the new TracMode software alters more than 200 engine management parameters, increasing low-end torque and turning the potent but well-mannered stock Boss into a competition-ready track car. Remove TracKey and start Boss with the standard key, and all factory engine settings are restored for a comfortable drive home from the course.

boss2012 said:
I am resigned to the fact that Ford Racing parts thinks they are doing us a favor by offering the 3/36 warranty. with any other part from them unless installed at the time of purchase the warranty is 12/12. It is disappointing that none of this was mentioned and we were certainly misled by all previous press releases. I do not think Ford will be easily swayed to treat track key any differently than any other aftermarket tune or bolt on part, if the tune or part causes the damage then the tuner or parts supplier is responsible for repair cost not Ford. FRP is stepping up to the 3/36 very few aftermarket tuners would do the same.

all this said, I have spoken to a few people at Ford but most of them have no clue or will back the corporate decision as their job depends on it.

I will install track key and live with the change in warranty. I will also continue to help in the fight to get a full Ford backed warranty for the ful5/60.

All of the Boss owner's who can should fight for the same.

My orginal post on in: TracKey Class Action Law Suit
« on: October 03, 2011, 01:59:41 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the newest article I have read about TracKey. It does not look like Santa will bring it to us for Christmas. The article was “California is why you can’t get the Boss Mustang TracKey” dated 22 September 2012.

Ford has has promoted the TracKey for almost a year, but they may not ever be able to deliver it. I feel that Ford should have courteous to give the Boss owners and Ford dealerships periodic updates about TracKey.

If Ford is unwilling to make an official announcement to the Boss owners by the first of January 2012 all Boss owners should start a class action law suit against Ford for promoting TracKey and not being able to deliver!

Do any other owners feel the same?

http://jalopnik.com/5842502/california-is-why-you-cant-get-the-boss-mustang-trackey

This sema show announcement should be interesting i think everyone should wait untill it is done they did say in the first announcement it will not change the warrantee so that is in writting to change that would be a touchy thing for ford I would not worrie and besides the mustang has always been one hell of a tough vehicle and this one being built this way I have not a single worrie.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel