The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track key warranty time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I think its funny that Ford Sells you the "Track Key Tune", and then says "BTW, if you use what we sold you, you loose part if not all your warranty if something goes wrong"...

Basically saying "Give us your money, and good luck"...

Its the same BS they are pulling with Photographer's on images of their own "purchased" cars. According to "Ford"... even though I paid for my Mustangs, I don't own the Car in the sense that I could take a photo of it and sell it. As "Ford" owns the Sheetmetal and likeness/look of the vehicle. So if you take a photo of your own car you purchased and maintain, and sell a poster of it then "its copyright infringement" Supposedly...

I love Ford vehicles, they are reliable and most of the time have little to no issues and the service is usually great and easy to deal with., but all this "Stong-arming" their customers about the products they "Sell to us as their products" and then saying hey, if you use this and something happens, we are not warranting it, is simple BS.

Now I can fully understand if someone puts a Ford Racing Super Charger on the BOSS, that it would not be covered... as that is an "over and above" performance part. But the Track Key is something they market and sell and even provide you with when you purchase the car...

I have no problems with it lowering my Warranty to 3 year - 36,000 miles on my power train, that is something I can accept... but if my engine goes or drivetrain goes before that time or mileage and they say "Well you had the trackey and we won't honor it", then my lawyers will get involved and it will get ugly really quick.

Its like a gun company saying "here is our rifle, and we suggest you use this ammo with it, but if the gun blows up in your face because you used what we told you, then sorry for your troubles". that is just a law-suit waiting to happen.

I only use Ford parts and oil when I have it serviced, (which is $125 for a service job), and I keep all the paper work, so if something happens, I can go back to Ford and say "I used your parts, your oil, your service techs, your TracKey, etc... the only parts on the entire car that are not "Ford" are MGW shifter and Borla ATAK axel-backs, so you will HONOR my warranty..." (I even have the original parts Axel backs and shifter, so if needed i could switch those out before a major warranty issue was argued if I had to).

I think the main problem is the dealers... Which I don't understand because they get paid for Warranty work, usually more than normal "work" from Ford, so its guaranteed money for them... why would they deny something "if it was something like the TracKey".?

Doesn't make sense to me... but hopefully I will never have to go down that road... For those that have, I wish you well and hope you come out on top and post your struggles and results here so we can all have more "AMMO" if we need it.

TMO Supporting Vendors