The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track key warranty time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was informed today at the dealership while checking up on the status of the new tune that the track key has a certain amount of time before it will void the warranty. Any truth to this. They also said having brake cooling ducts will void warranty as well if the engine overheats while you have them on.

That's BS. Time to find another dealer.

I don't recall which forum where I read, but there are some dealers telling you that you can't have an extended warranty with the track key, which is not true. There is some warranty wording in the track key package. Basically after digging on my own, I've been told any damage as a result of the track key is no under warranty, but they have to prove it is from the track key.

My fear is that they will just say any issue is a result of the track key.

They seriously told you that the brake cooling ducts will void your warranty? If so, that's ridiculous. Definitely find another dealer asap and spread the word to avoid them.

Was it a salesman who said that? They are pretty notorious for not knowing their you know what from a hole in the ground when it comes to stuff like this. I had several tell me that the trackey comes pre-installed since they come with a red key.

Smilieboy said:
I was informed today at the dealership while checking up on the status of the new tune that the track key has a certain amount of time before it will void the warranty. Any truth to this. They also said having brake cooling ducts will void warranty as well if the engine overheats while you have them on.

Lol.... Send that one to ford racing.

I wish i could just change my dealership, but its either them or the next closest one that i trust which is about 1 1/2 hour drive or the dealership i bought it from at 2 1/2 hours to get there. I'll just call ford on monday as i also want an update on when im getting my tune.

Georgia
Smilieboy said:
I wish i could just change my dealership, but its either them or the next closest one that i trust which is about 1 1/2 hour drive or the dealership i bought it from at 2 1/2 hours to get there. I'll just call ford on monday as i also want an update on when im getting my tune.

I got a good laugh from your original post...

As for this second one, I can understand some of what your saying, but if the dealership are total idiots, you gain nothing by visiting them. I would strongly recommend that you use your local guys for something they can handle (doubt they can handle a 5w 50 oil change based on the brake duct comment), but find a more knowledgable dealership for everything else. Just my 2 pennies.

MLM

Mike
At this point I don't think you should worry too much about what someone told you about the warranty, since you don't actually have a problem with the car it's just a hypothetical.

I sit on a customer advisory panel for a group of dealerships including a Ford store and I have learned a lot from talking to the owners and upper management about the business side of things. The #1 goal of the dealer's front-line employees is to sell sell sell. Nearly all of the profit comes from the service department. There are too many complexities in how the warranties work for anyone to know for certain off the top of their heads, they don't know until they file a claim in a particular instance and they don't want to make promises that they can't keep.

Dealers are wary of customer-installed mods in general because many times those void warranties and thus the dealer can't get paid by the manufacturer for the repair work. Then they have to charge the customer which leads to unhappy customers. Unhappy customers = bad for business. Modded cars are a headache for the dealer. Therefore they would prefer that customers not mod their cars because the dealer would rather work on unmodified cars where they are more likely to get paid under the warranty. So this guy was probably just making up the thing about the brake ducts because his instinct is to discourage people from modding their cars, he just doesn't know his right from his left. I could be wrong but this is my guess.

Darth Boss said:
I don't recall which forum where I read, but there are some dealers telling you that you can't have an extended warranty with the track key, which is not true. There is some warranty wording in the track key package. Basically after digging on my own, I've been told any damage as a result of the track key is no under warranty, but they have to prove it is from the track key.

My fear is that they will just say any issue is a result of the track key.

This is true!

YOU CAN NOT HAVE THE FORD ESP PRODUCT WITH TRACK KEY!

I and another owner bought this and were told, like you no issues, but you see they are betting you won't need the coverage and will never know you gave them $1700 for NOTHING! I called Ford ESP Warranty and they told me a Boss with Track Key installed is NOT even eligible to have ESP never mind if the issue was or was not caused by the Track key. Do not pass go.

They apologized and refunded my money, in full, as I had the track key installed the day after I bought the car and specifically asked about the ESP and Track Key where my dealer told me "no problem". MustangGirl, who also tried to file a claim, has had her money refunded for ESP as well.

If you have ESP you are paying for something that when the time comes they will not cover you and you will have to fight not to be given a pro-rata amount.

JeffIsHereToo said:
This is true!

I and another owner bought this and were told, like you no issues, but you see they are betting you won't need the coverage and will never know you gave them $1700 for NOTHING! I called Ford ESP Warranty and they told me a Boss with Track Key installed is NOT even eligible to have ESP never mind if the issue was or was not caused by the Track key. Do not pass go.

They apologized and refunded my money, in full, as I had the track key installed the day after I bought the car and specifically asked about the ESP and Track Key where my dealer told me "no problem". MustangGirl, who also tried to file a claim, has had her money refunded for ESP as well.

If you have ESP you are paying for something that when the time comes they will not cover you and you will have to fight not to be given a pro-rata amount.
Do you happen to have a number for Ford ESP?

GA
JeffIsHereToo said:
This is true!

Does that mean Track Key voids your regular drive train warranty too?

I looked into this and was told that ESP would still cover items such as electronics, interior and other items. Track key only comes into play when it comes to the power train, more specifically the engine. If my SYNC system goes on the fritz, it has nothing to do with track key. So ESP will still cover many things even with track key.

GA
cbj5259 said:
I looked into this and was told that ESP would still cover items such as electronics, interior and other items. Track key only comes into play when it comes to the power train, more specifically the engine. If my SYNC system goes on the fritz, it has nothing to do with track key. So ESP will still cover many things even with track key.

Makes sense - that was my understanding too.

cbj5259 said:

I'm sorry but again this is just not correct.

I went round and round with Ford and my dealer, they had my money, they didn't want to return it, my dealer didn't want to loose credit and their commission, but the fact is the Boss with Track Key is not eligible. They even tried to pro-rate the refund until I again protested in that they all told me, like someone is telling you, that the Boss w/ track key was eligible. I wasn't going to pay for their mistake. Ford refunded my all my money.

That said, even if what you say above was true, why would you pay so much for such limited coverage? You're better off going with Geico's break/fix plan that doesn't exclude the Boss 302 w/Track Key.

I just hate to see anyone throw money away. The two scenarios are you never use the coverage and Ford/Dealer make an extra $1700 or so. Or you need it later and get denied and everyone that told you otherwise is long gone and you're left trying to get your money back years later.

When in doubt call Ford ESP directly:
1-877-339-1978

I'm not doubting what you are saying...Perhaps Ford customer service and Ford Racing need to get on the same page because this was released to members over at the mustangsource who had the same debate...straight from Ford:

Hello my awesome members!!

So, great news about the TracKey coming out!! Now, to clarify on the warranty questions… This will be like any other FRPP aftermarket part that you add to your vehicle with one exeption; the repairs will be covered longer than 12/12. The 5 yr/60K mile Powertrain warranty will stay in effect. If the the TracKey programming causes any concern, that specific repair will be covered for 3yrs or 36,000 miles. This is great coverage for an aftermarket part on your vehicle. If you have any ESP, the same rules will apply.

Let me also mention the fuel changes: You’ll be using 91 octane fuel or higher to avoid any engine damage. Please note: damage caused by low octane fuel will not be covered under the Ford Racing limited warranty.

Please continue to enjoy your Bosses!!! If you guys ever need anything, just PM me. Have an awesome day!!

Deysha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordMustang @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordMustang facebook.com/Ford

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The real scoop..................

Sat in the Shop Foreman's office with one of our customers prior to installing his track key. Just happened to have the Ford Ext. Service Contract Rep in the office at the time we walked in. We wanted to know specifically if the track key voided any of the warranty, and could said customer still get an extended service contract. The Rep frankly thought it was a good question and though he was not sure he called Ford while we were there. No issues to the factory warranty and perfectly eligible for an extended service contract too. There is your simple answer and hope this is helpful?

Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse Ford
Blair, Nebraska

Bill Pemberton said:

Sat in the Shop Foreman's office with one of our customers prior to installing his track key. Just happened to have the Ford Ext. Service Contract Rep in the office at the time we walked in. We wanted to know specifically if the track key voided any of the warranty, and could said customer still get an extended service contract. The Rep frankly thought it was a good question and though he was not sure he called Ford while we were there. No issues to the factory warranty and perfectly eligible for an extended service contract too. There is your simple answer and hope this is helpful?

Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse Ford
Blair, Nebraska

That was kind of my understanding as well, but it sounds like different people are getting different responses. I took the time to email Ford directly today and asked if they would provide me with an explanation in writing about this issue. When I get a response I will post it..

Bill Pemberton said:

Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse Ford
Blair, Nebraska

Sorry NOT TRUE!

CALL FORD ESP...if you get them to cover you PLEASE post and let me know so I can give them my money back and get my coverage back.

TMO Supporting Vendors