The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track key

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I had an appointment today to get my track key programmed. This was set up three weeks ago the service dept ordered the program and then I set up the appointment. So I show up at the service dept at 8:00 sharp. After about 15 minutes of wondering the lot looking at Ford latest creations the service adviser informs me that there computer that does the track key programming is down, the service tech that does the track keys does not work on Saturdays. I think to myself you have got to be $***ing me. This appiontment has been set up for three weeks now and they did not connect the dots until I show up to get the work done. I am in the service buisness myself and do not do that to people. But thats just me. I did not get angry and tell the guy what I was really thinking because I want to give them a chance to make it right. They are going to call me on monday to get a timeline on when I can get it done. Ok I am done venting. I feel better now.

It might not be worth the hassle. For me it wasn't worth the $400 I paid to have it installed. It's more of a novelty thing and I rarely use it. The silver key sounds better too.

racered302 said:
The silver key sounds better too.
Really? I haven't heard too many people state that. I think it sounds terrific on decal from around 4,500 RPM's. My family thinks I'm crazy driving around with the AC or heater on and the windows down all the time. :D

Clearly if you're looking for a performance tune TK is not it. Ford Racing has never stated it's going to increase HP so as long as you go into it understanding that you should be fine. It is useful on a road course but if you're never going to track your car it has less value.

I plan on tracking the car at least a couple of times a year. My understanding of the track key is the track specific setting that I am looking for. I bought the car for the out of the box track ability it has. Most mods I am doing are suspension.

Dealers... ay-ay-ay! In fairness some are great to deal with, others not so much. Kind of a roll of the dice... good luck!

IMO, TK is worth the cost and hassle to install... it's a feature unique to the Boss that you just gotta have if you own one. If your dealer threw it in for free (like mine did) it's a no-brainer, although I still would've spent the ~$400 if I had to.

dabossinne said:
Dealers... ay-ay-ay! In fairness some are great to deal with, others not so much. Kind of a roll of the dice... good luck!

IMO, TK is worth the cost and hassle to install... it's a feature unique to the Boss that you just gotta have if you own one. If your dealer threw it in for free (like mine did) it's a no-brainer, although I still would've spent the ~$400 if I had to.

I agree - This is a Boss only feature ( I LOVE the launch control ) j-brake decel and the lopey idle on mine actually sounds good - i get a really nice. gallop. I'll be messin around with aftermarket stuff post warrenty no doubt

IMO you should have let the dealers**t have it, no reason to hold back, especially in that situation - hell you might have gotten it for free if you really dug in or some free oil changes :)

I had some issues with my dealer and the service manager(awesome guy) - besides a new wheel, put 400 on my advantage card

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
IMO if you track the car the increase in throttle sensitivity and the throttle braking alone is worth it. If you looking for TK to totally transform the car then it's not for you.

I have already decided not to use the dealer I bought the car from just because of the bs I put up with from them. I only bought from them because the had the exact car on order that I wanted. Routine maint will be done by me any warranty stuff will be done by them.

I too had an issue with the Dealer where I purchased the car. I did however, expect the issue as they were only allotted two Boss cars. I bought the TK from the purchasing dealers Parts department for $225.00 and set the appointment at the same tiem I ordered the TK. The package came in propmtly but the Service Department was not cleared for Ford racing website to authoriaze the key. The key paired fine but not the TK flash. I left with no charges and took it to a dealer that was recognized on the forum for great TK work and one hour latter I was done. $95.00

fyi Make sure the dealer is using a laptop with windows xp on it. It will not work with any other operating system. per the instructions on trackey.ford.com. if that isn't the web address search this forum. when you get there it has the step by step instructions dealer should be using.

FLGator

2013 Boss 302 LS #196 - Shadow
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Florida
Thanks folks for posting all your info/experiences with the TK. After buying my Laguna I started shopping around for a parts department to sell me the authorization paperwork and a service department that do the install. When I asked one dealer about the "TracKey", the reply was an empty stare followed by, "Track Key?" Nope, not them.

I purchased the software authorization from Levittown Ford in NY and the install was done at Nick Nicholas Ford in Inverness, Fl. They know what it is and have at least one tech that is very familiar with the Boss Mustangs. He installed the TracKey software and even fixed the front brake cooling ducts so that the right side was not rubbing. Good place to go for Boss related issues.

One thing that I can't seem to get around is that it shortens the warranty to 3/36 from whatever normal is. That, to me, is the hard part, not the cost of the program and labor.

litsnsirn said:
One thing that I can't seem to get around is that it shortens the warranty to 3/36 from whatever normal is. That, to me, is the hard part, not the cost of the program and labor.

That simply isn't true. This topic has been beaten to death already.

If you have a problem NOT CAUSED BY TRACK KEY anytime during the full 5/60 then Ford Motor Co covers it, same as if you did not have Track Key.

If you have a problem CAUSED BY TRACK KEY anytime during the first 3/36, then Ford Racing rather than Ford Motor Co fixes it.

It is only if you have a problem specifically CAUSED BY TRACK KEY after the 3/36 period that you are out of luck.

I really wish people would stop posting this wrong information that getting Track Key installed somehow automatically shortens your warranty to 3/26. It does NOT.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
You are correct, but I'd take into consideration that all forum members have not been here from the beginning and the legal language that Ford has chosen to use can be misinterpreted.

MLM

Mike
Rich_S said:
litsnsirn said:

I really wish people would stop posting this wrong information that getting Track Key installed somehow automatically shortens your warranty to 3/26. It does NOT.

But it is true to the extent that a problem is caused by TK (however that may be determined by FoMoCo). This seems like a fair concern, a risk not worth taking? Esp. if you don't intend to track the car and plan to keep it longer than 3/36.

MLM said:
But it is true to the extent that a problem is caused by TK (however that may be determined by FoMoCo). This seems like a fair concern, a risk not worth taking? Esp. if you don't intend to track the car and plan to keep it longer than 3/36.
I think the opposite is true. Tracking your Boss will put additional stress on your car that you'll never see on the street. I wouldn't worry about it either way and have less concern if you're only going to drive your Boss on the street. Many of us have hammered our cars on the track and so far no TK related issues. I think it's pretty safe. TK will be one year old next week and I have not heard of a single issue where TK caused damage to an engine.

MLM

Mike
5 DOT 0 said:
I think the opposite is true. Tracking your Boss will put additional stress on your car that you'll never see on the street. I wouldn't worry about it either way and have less concern if you're only going to drive your Boss on the street. Many of us have hammered our cars on the track and so far no TK related issues. I think it's pretty safe. TK will be one year old next week and I have not heard of a single issue where TK caused damage to an engine.

Oh, most certainly. I think though that everyone needs to make their own risk assessment on how much to mod or not mod with respect to the factory warranty. Since TK has the backing of Ford it's a pretty low risk anyway. TK pre-installed seems to be a selling point on used Bosses.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Only "issue" I've encountered with TK is that sometimes the car will spit out a cloud of white smoke on startup. I have never seen this with the stock grey key tune.

I usually let the car idle for ~5 mins after I come in from the track, I'm thinking the lopey idle may be pooling fuel or something and causing this after I shut down and sit while waiting for the next session. I may try disabling the TK idle and seeing if this continues to happen.

Well, I do plan on tracking the car, when possible, but in my experience if a dealer or manufacturer can blame something on the car owner, they usually do. Even if you are in the right, you have to go through the cost and suffering of proving it isn't so. If the engine sucks a valve or something like that at 4 years, what do you think they will blame it on?

Even so, I am paying sticker for my LS and I am thinking of asking them to throw in the track key since they are making a ton of money off of me.

MLM said:
Rich_S said:
litsnsirn said:

IMO, if it was going to cause a problem, it would probably happen during the first 3/36 (or even sooner).

TMO Supporting Vendors