The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track report: VIR full course PCA Potomac - Labor Day weekend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Number of cars: About 130

Run groups: Four - Green/Blue, White, Black, Red. The green and blue groups were small enough that they combined them. This made for PLENTY of track time for all. Enhanced passing (anywhere with a signal) in black and red.

Weather: HOT!...In the 90's each day.

Mods to my car since last track event: Steeda competition springs. JHR clutch line, Hard Brakes titanium brake pad shims (running with Pagid RS29 pads).

Car performance/problems: Feels great with new springs...less body roll...less dive under braking...looks better with lower stance too! Brake shims seem to do the job...had ZERO braking problems all weekend. In spite of 90+ temps had no engine overheating issues. The only mod I have made for better cooling is a Roush billet grill...seems to have done the trick! I have already posted details on my clutch issue. Car in shop now being checked out. Will report back on results.

I envy anyone going the VIR event this weekend...wish I had the time (and $$$) to join you!

Check this out. Is my right front wheel off the ground or is it an optical illusion?
VIR1.jpg

Here's a video with GPS data embedded. It's a tad long but toward the end is some video taken by my friend following me in his Porsche:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an70XnKbT2g

Sesshomurai

I was there with TrackDaze August VIR event. Great track and well suited to the boss with two really long straights. Highest I got on the back stretch was 141.
After that event though, I'm making some suspension upgrades as well.

darreng505 said:
I was there with TrackDaze August VIR event. Great track and well suited to the boss with two really long straights. Highest I got on the back stretch was 141.
After that event though, I'm making some suspension upgrades as well.
According to my QStarz data, best speed on back straight was 141.35 and best laptime was 2:18.56 so it appears we are pretty equal. Love to run with you some time...would be a lot of fun chasing down the Porsches, Vettes and Bimmers!

Sesshomurai

You got me beat on on laptime though, but I'm still a HPDE 1 noob. Making some suspension upgrades and mods before next event though, so hope to dig into those turns better next time.

I'll be at TrackDaze Summit oct 6-7 and NASA VIR Oct 13-14.

Hate to gloat, but I'm up here now, chilling the paddock rooms. The Trackdaze event was fun. Returning for NASA 10/13-14 and Trackdaze in Nov. There are at least 3 bosses here. Will report tomorrow.

Boomerstoys

Keep the shiny side up & the rubber side down!
ChuckP: NICE Video & NICE DRIVING---------------would like to run that track some day.

The Porsche that did the filming, was that the guy you were playing with earlier in the video, where he locked um up a bit? Very cool if it was. Nice to have someone you know & trust that you can run with, so much more fun.

Really like the video from your buddies P-car. Your car looks very planted with very little brake dive. NICE!!!

Cheers!

Nice driving Chuck. Was that a F430 you passed at the 2:30 mark? Is the Porsche video the same car you were following in the 5 and 6 minute marks? If so that guy was driving the wheels off of it to stay in front of you. How is that P car setup? it's obviously not stock. ;)

i believe he's running R888's, unless he has changed them since.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-racing/18%27-hoosier-sizes/msg44250/#msg44250

Boomerstoys said:
ChuckP: NICE Video & NICE DRIVING---------------would like to run that track some day.

The Porsche that did the filming, was that the guy you were playing with earlier in the video, where he locked um up a bit? Very cool if it was. Nice to have someone you know & trust that you can run with, so much more fun.

Really like the video from your buddies P-car. Your car looks very planted with very little brake dive. NICE!!!

Cheers!
Same guy in the early 911 that locked in front of me up at Oak Tree. Great driver, nicely prepped car, weighs in around 1980 lbs! Only a 2.4 L six but not a lot of weight to haul around.

5 DOT 0 said:
Nice driving Chuck. Was that a F430 you passed at the 2:30 mark? Is the Porsche video the same car you were following in the 5 and 6 minute marks? If so that guy was driving the wheels off of it to stay in front of you. How is that P car setup? it's obviously not stock. ;)
It was a 360 Spider.

ChuckP said:
Number of cars: About 130

Run groups: Four - Green/Blue, White, Black, Red. The green and blue groups were small enough that they combined them. This made for PLENTY of track time for all. Enhanced passing (anywhere with a signal) in black and red.

Weather: HOT!...In the 90's each day.

Mods to my car since last track event: Steeda competition springs. JHR clutch line, Hard Brakes titanium brake pad shims (running with Pagid RS29 pads).

Car performance/problems: Feels great with new springs...less body roll...less dive under braking...looks better with lower stance too! Brake shims seem to do the job...had ZERO braking problems all weekend. In spite of 90+ temps had no engine overheating issues. The only mod I have made for better cooling is a Roush billet grill...seems to have done the trick! I have already posted details on my clutch issue. Car in shop now being checked out. Will report back on results.

I envy anyone going the VIR event this weekend...wish I had the time (and $$$) to join you!

Check this out. Is my right front wheel off the ground or is it an optical illusion?
VIR1.jpg

Here's a video with GPS data embedded. It's a tad long but toward the end is some video taken by my friend following me in his Porsche:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an70XnKbT2g
EDIT......Nevermind. Found your thread about them. Thank you.

Please explain these brake shims you are referring to. I know what they are but why to you need them? First I am hearing of this mod. Any link to what you used?

Thank you.
Rene'

EDIT......Nevermind. Found your thread about them. Thank you.

Please explain these brake shims you are referring to. I know what they are but why to you need them? First I am hearing of this mod. Any link to what you used?

Thank you.
Rene'
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure they really work. Sure enough that I ordered a .5 mm set since the 1 mm shims will not fit with brand new pads.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
ChuckP said:
R888s, 305x35-18R, 275-40-18F

Do your tires stick out past the fender in the back at all? I am going to be running a set of Toyo's but I went with 295's in the back on some 18" Enkei's. Not sure what suspension mods if any you are running either. Thanks in advance.

Sesshomurai

I've been told 305's go flush to the fender but 315's are the first 18" size to nudge out from the fender. Of course, can vary depending on suspension, wheel offset, etc.

I'm adding fender flares to my rear when I go to a 12" rear wheel at 335's for road racing (unrestricted class).

TMO Supporting Vendors