The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Safety: Current thinking and hope for discussion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guys,

This thread may be better-placed in another area, so feel free to move, but I wanted to provide some perspectives on track safety as I've explored what to do with my car for DE days.
Quick context being that I'm, basically, a safety nut. I've had past (bad) experiences on track that reinforce this perspective.
I never tracked my boss because it didn't have any add'l safety equipment and I wanted to keep the back seats usable for street use.
With the R - I have no back seats to start with and I do intend to track the car, so the first mod to the car will be a 4-point roll bar. I've concluded that I'm going to have a custom-fabricated 4-point built in the car. Primary reasoning: I have a local fabricator with a very good reputation (TC Designs). Tony is a racer himself, a thoughtful and safety-minded guy, and does a ton of work for local owners and his reputation is just outstanding.

We've spent a couple sessions talking about what I want and what he thinks would work best, and going with a very solid design with a main hoop, down bars that run mostly-parallel to the body so that the feet land at the same place front-to-back as the Watson unit but much further outboard. Tony believes this will be stronger. I'm careful not to overlook Watson's deep experience with these cars, and I've talked to Patrick quite a bit about why their bar is designed the way it is. I think the placement of their rear feet is very good, but does make a concession to allow for DIY bolt-in installation. (One option I explored was to use the Watson bar and have Tony install it / potentially weld it in.

In addition to the harness bar running across the main hoop, Tony will build a full 'X' within the main hoop, and a full 'X' from the main hoop back to the rear feet...with gussets on both. (of the many race cars Tony's had in his shop when I've been over there, he's got a couple rally cars - street and dirt - and beyond my strong fondness for rally, I'm drawn to the lessons learned building those cages which are among the safest - by regulation - in motorsports.

We're going to use a 'krinckle' finish in matt black as it resists scratching better, there's nothing shiny to distract you, and it seems to blend with the interior of the car better.
it's also a little less 'hey look at me' for street driving / encounters with the local gendarme.

The last consideration (and I know this is a consideration for many of you) is the ability to remove the bar if / when you I sell the car. It's not a particularly important consideration for me but what Tony's been doing in many customer's cars - such as GT3's - that tend to trade them a lot, is to weld bracket / feet to the car (and optimize placement of those as described above - without having to consider where they can get access to bolt through back plates)...and the feet with will have upright bolts that the bar, then, bolts to. Tony believes that the strength of that setup is very comparable to a full weld-in but, again accommodates removing the bar for use in another car. So that's what I'm doing.

Tony also believes that his bar will fit significantly better / tighter in the car...so we'll see.

The biggest obvious downside is cost. It'll end up being ~$1,500 more than the Watson bar...but I probably wouldn't install the bar myself anyway, so with labor it'll be less than $1k difference.

While he's at it, he'll also do some setup work for seats / harnesses...and this is where things got interesting from my perspective. (beyond the fact that he'd just had another GT350 in the shop for an alignment and could only get ~1.4 negative front camber...he was strongly encouraging me to get camber plates before I even hit the track the first time).
I was dead-set on having him install a fixed-back seat and 6-point while the car was there (or, at least, get all the seat hardware and belt mounting figured out). His recommendation surprised me. He recommended that I keep the current seat in the car and use a 4-point ASM harness from Schroth. His point is two-fold: 1) the Recaro's that are in our cars are significant pieces of engineering and while they're not fixed-back, have been engineered (and tested) with withstand incredible impacts. They also have the torso bags in them which provides a meaningful amount of additional protection; 2) the 4-point with ASM is safer than a 5 or 6-point unless the sub strap(s) are placed and secured properly. His contention is that many of the sub strat setups he's seeing - including the sit-on-the-strap setups do more potential harm than good. His assertion was that the only reason I should be thinking of an aftermarket seat setup, at this point, is if I can't get a decent seating position in the car with my helmet on...read: can't get low enough. Bumping your head on the roof is not only a pain, but it's dangerous. You want to be asa low in the car as possible.

I know there are not necessarily any 'right' answers on this, I just wanted to play back what I'm hearing from someone who knows his stuff.

Re: the rollbar fab, he'll start on that this coming Friday so I'll have pics / etc maybe 10 days after that (oh, that's the other downside...I'll be without my car for 10 days! ;-(

Interesting point on the 4 point using stock seats. Will you be using the harness bar to attach the shoulder harnesses? I see they show an available attachment point as the rear of the back seats, but that downward angle seems pretty severe. Most harness manufacturers recommend between level and minus 10* to 20* from the top of your shoulders to the attachment point. Are you combining a HANS with the ASM 4 point?

cloud9 said:
Interesting point on the 4 point using stock seats. Will you be using the harness bar to attach the shoulder harnesses? I see they show an available attachment point as the rear of the back seats, but that downward angle seems pretty severe. Most harness manufacturers recommend between level and minus 10* to 20* from the top of your shoulders to the attachment point. Are you combining a HANS with the ASM 4 point?

yes, I'll wrap the shoulders on the harness bar. We've scoped harness bar height to be at about 0* to about -5*in the stock seat, assuming that if / when I move to a fixed back seat we'll have it sit lower.
and, yes, HANS for sure. I prefer the 2" shoulders for the way they fot on the HANS, the 3" are fine. and they're only making the ASM with the 3" shoulders.

fuhrius said:
yes, I'll wrap the shoulders on the harness bar. We've scoped harness bar height to be at about 0* to about -5*in the stock seat, assuming that if / when I move to a fixed back seat we'll have it sit lower.
and, yes, HANS for sure. I prefer the 2" shoulders for the way they fot on the HANS, the 3" are fine. and they're only making the ASM with the 3" shoulders.
It has occurred to me that there are some benefits to using the stock seats/airbags. Of course the tradeoffs are no fixed back and no halo. My new Sparco Circuit seat has a halo and I've often wondered about not having one in my past cars. HANS devices have really only gained widespread use over the last decade even though it was developed in the early 80s.

cloud9 said:
It has occurred to me that there are some benefits to using the stock seats/airbags. Of course the tradeoffs are no fixed back and no halo. My new Sparco Circuit seat has a halo and I've often wondered about not having one in my past cars. HANS devices have really only gained widespread use over the last decade even though it was developed in the early 80s.

I really like the idea of the halo. I'd be going with a halo seat, for sure, like the Cobra Evo Pro as I like their split bottom cushion design, among other things. Tony sells / thinks highly of Racetech, but he'd mount whatever I want.

Another tradeoff to consider is the cost of replacing airbags. Of course it's hard to put a price on safety, but realistically there is always a cost/safety tradeoff in product design.

Disclaimer: any discussion in this thread is personal opinion and not recommendations as to what you should do with your car. The level of safety you use is a personal choice and any safety gear short of a full roll cage, fire suppression system, halo racing seats with six or seven point harnesses and all the personal safety gear you can find find is a compromise. Tracking your car is dangerous so get as much safety gear as you can. :)

This is a discussion about using a street car on a race track and not building a race car. There are other threads on that here on TMO. ;)

John and I were having a discussion about this offline and I asked him to post the info he has from TC Designs as they have an excellent reputation. I seriously considered the ASM belts in by Boss but was dissuaded from doing so by a racer friend of mine that has decades of years of racing experience. He was not that thrilled with my sub belt bar either but thought that was a better option than using the ASM. Anyway I'm considering using the Schroth ASM belts once again. Schroth is one of the premiere seat belt and racing harness manufacturers and fully test all of their products. They have decades of producing and testing their products and I'm inclined to believe them if they say their product is safe. With that said the idea of sitting on sub belts attached to the same location as the lap belts is also proven and SCCA has posted information on how to properly install belts using this method. @PeteInCT also had discussions about this with Schroth and I believe they were ok with it as well. They modified my sub belts to use with the sub belt bar and sit on them. Again your safety on track is a personal decision based on your risk tolerance. If I do go with the Schroth six point harness I'm going with the Hybrid II instead of the Profi II this time around. I want to keep the family jewels as safe as possible. :p

http://www.tcdesignfab.com/services.php

https://www.schrothracing.com/competition/hybrid/hybrid-II

20192_hybrid_ii_b.jpg

One of the most interesting things about safety are all the differing opinions even from experts in the field as evidenced in your post above. Not justifying anyone's choices, but the other issue is there are a million ways to die and it seems new ones are invented every day. In the end, the decision to track your car or compete in time trials or full wheel to wheel racing involves calculated risk.

VoodooBOSS said:
Disclaimer: any discussion in this thread is personal opinion and not recommendations as to what you should do with your car. The level of safety you use is a personal choice and any safety gear short of a full roll cage, fire suppression system, halo racing seats with six or seven point harnesses and all the personal safety gear you can find find is a compromise. Tracking your car is dangerous so get as much safety gear as you can. :)

This is discussion about using a street car on a race track and not building a race car. There are other threads on that here on TMO. ;)
+1

My personal view is that the Hans/Halo/Fixed back seat/Sub belt combo safety benefits far out weigh the seat air bag. The Recaros are very supportive seats, but I can't get low enough in the car with them.

There are some views that airbags are a risk when fully harnessed in as they can impede rapid exit.

I certainly would not forgo the Sub belts and Schroth provide very detailed guidelines on sub, side and shoulder harness installation angles.

There's at least one group that I run with that requires all advanced drivers to have a Hans or other Neck restraint.

At the end of the day anything other than a fully caged car with a 6 point belt, neck restraint, fire suit, fixed race seat and fire suppression is a compromise.

My last track car was caged, harnessed and I wore a Hans.

My new track car S550 isn't complete, waiting on cage and to install harnesses, but going to the track this weekend.

That being said youre scaring the crap out of me. LOL

Not planning on pushing things, but want to get some feel for the car stock before starting to change things up.

Was hoping the cage was here by now though :(

Black Boss said:
I certainly would not forgo the Sub belts and Schroth provide very detailed guidelines on sub, side and shoulder harness installation angles.
I was referencing it several times and also utilizing the eyelet fasteners and plates they included with their harnesses when setting mine up yesterday. I figure their eyelet fasteners should be reliable.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I think that for a serious track car with 400+ RWHP like the Bosses and GT350s, with drivers like us who do push the cars even at HPDE a FIA fixed back race seat with 6 point harnesses is not that hard to swap into and out of the car for a track weekend. Especially with a rollbar, no sense in not maximizing driver safety if you go to the trouble to install a bar.
As far as welding the bar in, why not? If you really plan on removing it (not really a pre event task) to sell the car just cut the legs off above the plates with a sawzall. Whether you tell the new owner about the history is up to you.
Steve

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I have my adjusters below the Hans device also.

Curious why the adjusters should be over the Hans frame. My assumption was that a smooth belt without hardware against the Hans would be preferred.

Do I need to make adjustments?

VoodooBOSS said:
Where did you guys mount the lap belts in the S197 and where are you going to mount them in the S550?

Also how high up do you keep your shoulder adjusters? I was just reading Schroth wants the adjusters to be on the lower part of the Hans. I had mine below that in my Boss. With my size I'm not sure I can mount them that high.

I mounted my lap belts to the rear seat frame bolts on the S197 and have done the same on the S550. I'm 6' 2" and have the seat fairly well back, and the lap belt angles are pretty good. Not sure how it works out with seat positions further forward.

Re positioning of the adjusters relative to the Hans, this can be achieved by altering the relative lengths of the lower belt length with the adjusters and the upper belt length with the roll bar wrap.

Black Boss said:
I mounted my lap belts to the rear seat frame bolts on the S197 and have done the same on the S550. I'm 6' 2" and have the seat fairly well back, and the lap belt angles are pretty good. Not sure how it works out with seat positions further forward.

Re positioning of the adjusters relative to the Hans, this can be achieved by altering the relative lengths of the lower belt length with the adjusters and the upper belt length with the roll bar wrap.
I have my seat fairly far forward and thus opted for locations ahead of the rear seat bolts on the Planted Seat base using the Schroth eyebolts. The angle was greater than desired using the rear seat bolts for me.

a reminder on the disclaimer that I'm just passing along what one guy said...a guy who I think is qualified...but just one guy. And I am coming into this firmly in the camp of of wanting to use an FIA-rated fixed back seat and 6-point harness.

re: HANS - it's an absolute MUST in my book. Apologies if I gave an impression otherwise. I was an early adopter on the HANS (for non-pro's, that is)...recall being heckled at LeMons events for being a wannabee. lol.

re: lap belt mounting - I see that many of you are mounting lap belts to the seat. why not to the existing seat belt mounting bolts?

and an answer to the question on full weld-in versus bolted-to-welded-feet...true you can just cut out the welded bar but that renders the bar useless. I'm thinking that being able to re-use the bar in another s550 is valuable.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel