The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Safety: Current thinking and hope for discussion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
fuhrius said:
a reminder on the disclaimer that I'm just passing along what one guy said...a guy who I think is qualified...but just one guy. And I am coming into this firmly in the camp of of wanting to use an FIA-rated fixed back seat and 6-point harness.

re: HANS - it's an absolute MUST in my book. Apologies if I gave an impression otherwise. I was an early adopter on the HANS (for non-pro's, that is)...recall being heckled at LeMons events for being a wannabee. lol.

re: lap belt mounting - I see that many of you are mounting lap belts to the seat. why not to the existing seat belt mounting bolts?

and an answer to the question on full weld-in versus bolted-to-welded-feet...true you can just cut out the welded bar but that renders the bar useless. I'm thinking that being able to re-use the bar in another s550 is valuable.

Why wouldn't you be able to reweld the hoop and down tubes to new baseplates if you cut them off flush?

fuhrius said:
re: lap belt mounting - I see that many of you are mounting lap belts to the seat. why not to the existing seat belt mounting bolts?

The stock seat belt buckle (inboard) mounts to the stock seat. The outboard seat belt mount is too far back to get close to the recommended lap belt install angle. :(

drano38

Wayne
VoodooBOSS said:
.... If I do go with the Schroth six point harness I'm going with the Hybrid II instead of the Profi II this time around. I want to keep the family jewels as safe as possible. :p

https://www.schrothracing.com/competition/hybrid/hybrid-II

+1 on this type of harness--which is why last summer I bought a Formula style from Crow. Mine is a true Formula, so D-rings on the lap belt hold the sub belts well away from the jewels. I've got them adjusted tight and they're still comfortable.
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000371a~Z5Z5Z5AAABV~P192.92~~~~S4KE1B7VUR66681717571a~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000371a#

I bought my Schroth belts from Pete after Rick and several others on the board had purchased their harnesses. HMS / Schroth wanted to talk to me directly before they finished processing the order. Based on previous orders and seeing mounting pictures on the board, HMS knew exactly how I planned to secure the harness using Cooltech Clips and the same anti-sub bar Rick mentioned. Their recommendation was the Hybrid II configured with me sitting on the anti-sub straps and passed between the seat bottom and seat back.

I originally ordered a Profi II harness,, but HMS refused to sell it to me knowing how it would be mounted. HMS didn't say that the Profi was unsafe, but in their opinion the Hybrid was the best option based on mounting points, angles and the seat used.

2012-Boss said:
I bought my Schroth belts from Pete after Rick and several others on the board had purchased their harnesses. HMS / Schroth wanted to talk to me directly before they finished processing the order. Based on previous orders and seeing mounting pictures on the board, HMS knew exactly how I planned to secure the harness using Cooltech Clips and the same anti-sub bar Rick mentioned. Their recommendation was the Hybrid II configured with me sitting on the anti-sub straps and passed between the seat bottom and seat back.

I originally ordered a Profi II harness,, but HMS refused to sell it to me knowing how it would be mounted. HMS didn't say that the Profi was unsafe, but in their opinion the Hybrid was the best option based on mounting points, angles and the seat used.

Do you race professionally or in some sanctioned class? Wondering why a company would dictate what they sell or don't sell to you? I had a tire company try not to sell me tires before I told them what I was using them for. Didn't think it was any of their business and went about purchasing a different way.

Now I understand them giving you a safer alternative, but not dictating what you "will" buy. :(

SCGT500 said:
Do you race professionally or in some sanctioned class? Wondering why a company would dictate what they sell or don't sell to you? I had a tire company try not to sell me tires before I told them what I was using them for. Didn't think it was any of their business and went about purchasing a different way.

Now I understand them giving you a safer alternative, but not dictating what you "will" buy. :(

I only participate in HPDE. HMS is the sole distributor for Schroth in the USA. So, if buy Schroth, you are buying from HMS. Also, if it is a custom order / made to measure, HMS assembles the belts. I actually really appreciated the fact that HMS did not just process the order and made sure I received the best product for the application.

Finally, its less of public relations and potential legal issue in the event of an accident and belt failure. No one would ever really hear "wrong belt and mounting for the application," via word of mouth, they would just hear a Schroth harness failed.

And I apologize to the rest of the thread participants for taking this slightly off topic.

In summary, at least with Schroth / HMS, they feel sitting on the anti-sub straps is fine if you select the right harness for the application and mounting.

2012-Boss said:
I only participate in HPDE. HMS is the sole distributor for Schroth in the USA. So, if buy Schroth, you are buying from HMS. Also, if it is a custom order / made to measure, HMS assembles the belts. I actually really appreciated the fact that HMS did not just process the order and made sure I received the best product for the application.

Finally, its less of public relations and potential legal issue in the event of an accident and belt failure. No one would ever really hear "wrong belt and mounting for the application," via word of mouth, they would just hear a Schroth harness failed.

Gotcha, thanks.

TMO Supporting Vendors