The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Strut & Shock options for LS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello,

I've got a couple of threads talking about wheels & tires. To go with the wheel/tire setup I'm after from what I've been told I really need to lower the car and go with stiffer springs.

I've been talking with Terry at Vorschlag and he recommeds AST's, (I'm assumming the 4200's). I also read that AST purchased Moton. The deal is the AST's are not in stock. So I thought I would start a thread and see what others are running.

FYI, I've read the threads where BMO members are running the FRPP M-18000-C Dampers with the M-5300-P springs. However, from what I read, members go with this setup because they want a combination of track and street setup, correct?

I found the hero card for the 302R and it looks as if it comes with Koni inverted coil-overs.

I like what Terry had to say about the AST's. But based on experience I would appreciate anybody has to offer on coil-overs they feel would be equivalent or they've personally tested.

Just turned the tags in so if my car leaves the garage it will be in a trailer to a car show or to a track. (Most likely autocross versus a road course.)

Thanks.

P.S. Anything I do will have to be bolt on so stock can go back on the car. Also, I'm trying to stay in the 1 to 2k range.

KW
Ohlin - Not sure about this one
AST
Moton - (I believe Moton is owned by AST now.)
The Griggs racing Koni's
Penske - (Appears to be high $)
MCS - Motion Control Suspension (High end option. Contact mjorgensen at Wood Motorsports. Great guy and helpful. Actually listens and gives you honest advice for your situation even if he doesn't have a product for you.)

You turned the tags in? ??? Have you thought about buying a 302S?

5 DOT 0 said:
You turned the tags in? ??? Have you thought about buying a 302S?

Hopefully I don't get this thread going in the wrong direction, but yes, I really don't get much out of driving the car on the road. (That's a huge compliment to the car.) I purchased this car versus getting an older Boss to potentially see if it turns out to be a collectible. But at the same time I want to have fun with it. So the goal was to do car shows and some tracking here and there. I've been to a couple of autox and I enjoy those but unfortunately the track key forces me into the ESP class, thus the reasons for all these threads.

This car handles too good and has too much power for me to have on the road. Each time I've taken it out the temptation to speed or do something stupid on the road tries to take over my common sense. There are just too many people on the road to do things like that around here and laws can be really tough if you get caught doing anything including speeding.

So that leaves me just driving around obeying the laws, running up miles that I can do any car. (I do love the sound so I crank it up from time to time and may drive it around the block for a pick me up.)

For me personally, I have the most fun at a course.

The 302S, yes I've thought about it. But while I could probably swing it, I couldn't afford to tear it up and work on it.

Plus I'm in and out of hobbies so much, I care more about what something will sale for when it's time to move on.

I don't think it will be too hard to get out of the LS in the near future pending on what happens after 2013.

I'm not so sure about the S. Plus again, doubt I'd run it on a track around other cars when it cost $84,000. If somebody ran into me in something that expensive, well I don't care to think about that. So for true tracking, I would probably find something older, built for the track that somebody is has to sale quickly.

So I'm going to stick with the LS, try to have some fun with it but not abuse it. Part of the fun for me will be building it up and tinkering with it. Then just change it back to stock when if I ever decide to sale it. (Again this is based on what Ford does with the Boss after 2013.)

Thanks.

P.S. If you look at the 302S, to get 3 way adjustable dampers, it's another 4k. Also, it comes with 19x9F & 19x10R wheels which most people that track seem to be using 18's.

Ive heard good things about KW and JRZ coilovers. There is always eibach also and they have boss specific parts listed on their site. Just my 2 senseless ;D

If you go full adjustable, it might be worth your time and money to have a suspension guy go with you to your preferred track and fiddle them for you. Then just put some tape over the knobs so you aren't tempted to do it yourself ;D

CaliMR said:
If you go full adjustable, it might be worth your time and money to have a suspension guy go with you to your preferred track and fiddle them for you. Then just put some tape over the knobs so you aren't tempted to do it yourself ;D

He's with me everywhere I go. ;D In all serious, I have some experience valving suspension from my mx days. However, this is my first time looking into auto suspension. (But I would imagine the concepts for rebound and compression are similiar.)

For MX, it was tough because your compression could feel off because you went the wrong way with the rebound setting and had a packing condition. Really had to have a camera to dial it in. I'm assumming/hoping it'll be similiar with a car.

Right now though, there is just so many products and if you call somebody, they are going to tell you why theirs is the best. I'm just trying to get some collaboration on some of the struts/shocks others have had experience with.

I gave a bike mechanic a ride in my Boss, he tunes the suspension on most of the racer's bikes around here, and he said he couldn't really help other than reading the tire grooves. Though half the fun is trying to set it up, so a little trial and error isn't a big deal.

I agree with the trial and error. I just don't like buying parts and realizing they weren't any better than what I have.

I meant more along the lines of turning the knobs. Trial and error could get very expensive if that is how you choose components ;D

Ran across this thread.
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/autocross/248738-coil-not-coil.html

KW
Ohlin - Not sure about this one
AST
Moton - (Think they are owned by Moton.)
The Griggs racing Koni's
Penske - (Appears to be high $)
MCS - Motion Control Suspension (High end option. Contact mjorgensen at Wood Motorsports. Great guy and helpful. Actually listens and gives you honest advice for your situation even if he doesn't have a product for you.)

frosty said:
Ran across this thread.
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/autocross/248738-coil-not-coil.html

KW
AST
Moton
Ohlin
The Griggs racing Koni's
Penske

You forgot the MCS we chatted about ;-)

TMO Supporting Vendors