The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Time Videos

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Fun racing drivers who are extremely consistent with their inconsistencies, ha. Absolutely textbook, showing a momentum car driven skillfully , while two point and squirt pilots could barely stay ahead -- and of course one didn't! Going to have to watch this one again, because I am pretty sure I missed some of the action, since it was non stop. Good job keeping your composure, since you were near telepathic knowing where the BMW would turn in regardless of his braking point. The Vette wasn't even sure when to brake or accelerate and his lag time to shoot down the straight must have been agonizing for you behind him?

Highly recommended video for all , especially those who want to see the excitement and thrill wheel to wheel road racing can afford them if they want to step up!

Last edited:

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
AJ did a great job. Driving skill and more patience than I have. I may have had a “Conversation” with the gent in the black car. It looked like the only things he knew was how to block. I believe he made solid contact with another car once and bullied his way past a few others.

I've driven Thunderbolt solo quite a few times but doing it close quarters lap after lap flat out was pretty cool. Great driving, great video.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
Props to AJ for sure. I did watch the whole thing, and was glad to see AJ pass the black BMW the first time. Even more so the second time, as I found myself hoping that the BMW driver's "twitchiness" would eventually result in overheated tires.

I've driven Thunderbolt a few times, but never that close to anybody that squirrely.

Norm

FR500S-44

It's the challenge
Re: Track Time

I've done my second track day for the 'winter'. Ran a 2.00.01 at High Plains yesterday. Second session with a passenger in the car.... had my 'perfect' lap where everything came together with zero traffic, hit all my marks, light on the brakes and smooth on the throttle. Even my passenger said, "wow... that was an awesome lap"... coming from someone that had never been on a track before.

Square setup is working really well right now. New Cobalt Friction pads are flipping awesome. 5 20+ minute sessions and they still look like new. Didn't get that result from the Hawk DTCs. Glad I went back to the pads I like ;) Hankook R-S3's took another beating and are still quite sticky. 20 minutes at 82* was about all they could take with 3500+ lbs of pudding riding on them :(

Only downside was that I had to pull the front grill. Ambient was about 82* and elevation was 5200 or so. First two sessions I flirted with 240*. Third session I pegged the dummy gauge 3 times (after that it just stays pegged). Pulled the grill for the 4th and 5th sessions and had zero issues.

Also, not sure if anyone else has run into this, but I went out for session 5 and the fuel gauge read just below 1/2 tank. Four laps in, the car sputters on a hard right sweeper... so I let it settle, get back in it and no issues. Get to turn 8 (Slow, decreasing radius, second gear) and come bombing out of it (per normal). Downhill run and the car looses all power. Clutch in and RPMS go to zero. Finally got it re-fired and headed towards pit-in. Stalled again on the exit ramp. Got it re-fired and back to the pits. Sit and idle and the gauge is showing about 1/4 tank. Turn the car off to start my post session check-list. Get back in, fire it up and the gauge is pegged below 'E'. I know I turned some fast laps, but did I outrun the fuel gauge ::)

Classic! :D

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit

Quick edit from last summer at Gingerman. Almost 2 years since my last trackday and the car has changed a lot in terms of setup so I had to go back to basics and learn again. Not chasing any laptimes or anything, just looking to have fun, search for the limits of grip and try to control it so that when / if something happens one day, I won't be smashing it super hard into a wall...
I was still running my original 2017 Michelin PSS, and they were completely gone to be honest, the grip was quite terrible compared to previous trackdays in 2017. I also need to reduce my toe out on the rear as it was too agressive, so it can become a bit more stable again, especially under acceleration.
I should be able to get more track time in 2020 and enjoy the car a bit more, fine tune the setup and do some leg work on the driving skills :mad:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Having fun till I blew a gasket yesterday. Funny as the engine failed and so did I, ended up in emergency with either Kidney stones or Inflamed bowel deserting my poor car at the track. The car is in the shop as well now for what looks like a blown gasket.... At least this time managed to turn the engine off the second it lost power (or at least once my reptilian brain thought that). Car was going well but I still have to work on temp problems..:( And add more fiber and liquids.... ;)

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors