The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Time Videos

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just because we needed a new thread since Winter Mods are officially over ;D Now that's it's hitting 88 degrees up here in the Northern Plains, the rest of us that don't live in TX, AZ, FL and CA get back on the track. Share your track day stories and videos. My first day is next Friday and I'll be joined by at least two other Bosses. Someone in the Northeast is running his today and he's not from NY, VT, ME or NH, but very close by ;)

Re: Track Time

You guys are getting spring sooner than us CA people, it has been all El Nino up in here. I have a track day set up for Thursday (only two cars alternating with bike sessions) if the sun cooperates. Going to try to get the brakes flushed and a few other things today since it is the only break we have had in the weather. Want to do the brake ducts but don't think I have time.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!

I've done my second track day for the 'winter'. Ran a 2.00.01 at High Plains yesterday. Second session with a passenger in the car.... had my 'perfect' lap where everything came together with zero traffic, hit all my marks, light on the brakes and smooth on the throttle. Even my passenger said, "wow... that was an awesome lap"... coming from someone that had never been on a track before.

Square setup is working really well right now. New Cobalt Friction pads are flipping awesome. 5 20+ minute sessions and they still look like new. Didn't get that result from the Hawk DTCs. Glad I went back to the pads I like ;) Hankook R-S3's took another beating and are still quite sticky. 20 minutes at 82* was about all they could take with 3500+ lbs of pudding riding on them :(

Only downside was that I had to pull the front grill. Ambient was about 82* and elevation was 5200 or so. First two sessions I flirted with 240*. Third session I pegged the dummy gauge 3 times (after that it just stays pegged). Pulled the grill for the 4th and 5th sessions and had zero issues.

Also, not sure if anyone else has run into this, but I went out for session 5 and the fuel gauge read just below 1/2 tank. Four laps in, the car sputters on a hard right sweeper... so I let it settle, get back in it and no issues. Get to turn 8 (Slow, decreasing radius, second gear) and come bombing out of it (per normal). Downhill run and the car looses all power. Clutch in and RPMS go to zero. Finally got it re-fired and headed towards pit-in. Stalled again on the exit ramp. Got it re-fired and back to the pits. Sit and idle and the gauge is showing about 1/4 tank. Turn the car off to start my post session check-list. Get back in, fire it up and the gauge is pegged below 'E'. I know I turned some fast laps, but did I outrun the fuel gauge ::)

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut

Ran 1 day (3/31) at Limerock in CT. Trailered to the track in snow (such fun!). Event started 1.5 hrs late but snow changed to rain and track lost the slush - very cold (38 degrees to start). The first run group (before me) had one car crack his crankcase (so I'm told) and dropped a load of oil. So now we have cold temps, water that is almost slush and oil - tons of fun ! I almost lost the rear 4 times but I'll give that car a lot of credit, throttle modulation brought her back every time. My son is his APR Stage 2 Jetta running PS2's lost it in the oil and did a 4-off. If it wasn't for his good driving we would have been peeling his car off the wall. He ended up just kissing the wall and has some decent scratches on his bumper and rear tail light.

Run #2 was damp (not dry) still very cold - running Conti Extremes which did OK but it was way to cold to get them to heat up at all. Runs 3 and 4 were at about 45 degrees and I ran with the Corsa's on. 3 was OK but my lines were shiznit (Can I say that here ?) on the lefthander and the approach to the uphill (for those of you who know Limerock). This happens to me at the start of every season, I temporarily forget half of what I know ;D Run 4 was much better (still nt great), got the tires heated up a little and had her rotating through the turns better. Noticable understeer in the lefthander, I think it was just too cold for her to do what I know she can do.

This was a good test for the MGW shifter. No blown shifts all day, light years better than stock.

Now if Gary would stop hogging all the warm air....

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

Gary
Perfect thread to start the spring season. Pete's day yesterday was spoiled by damp, dreary mixed precip and cold. I am heading to LRP Monday the 9th and forecast is for 60s and sunshine so I should have a better time. I vote that the first track day for each of us is "winter testing" and times should not count as we are all shaking off the cobwebs and shaking down new setups.

But from 2nd day on we should all post times to show any improvements for both car and driver. Word of honor for all, I think we will have a lot of East coast guys running at LRP, Watkins Glen, NJMP, VIR, Road Atlanta, New Hampshire and Pocono so a lot of data can be generated. Also Smitty and the Texas boys have many venues as does the Florida crowd.
You run the Midwest/plains circuits and Rick will have the Cali crew to compete with.
Pull those belts down tight!
Should be a fun summer.
Steve

Make this a sticky 8)

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut

Steve -I will be there with SCDA on 4/9 also as well as 4/21 with BMWCCA. I'll be on the lookout for another Pony. Dry at 60 degrees would make my day after this weekend. ;D

-Pete

JScheier said:
I've done my second track day for the 'winter'. Ran a 2.00.01 at High Plains yesterday. Second session with a passenger in the car.... had my 'perfect' lap where everything came together with zero traffic, hit all my marks, light on the brakes and smooth on the throttle. Even my passenger said, "wow... that was an awesome lap"... coming from someone that had never been on a track before.

Square setup is working really well right now. New Cobalt Friction pads are flipping awesome. 5 20+ minute sessions and they still look like new. Didn't get that result from the Hawk DTCs. Glad I went back to the pads I like ;) Hankook R-S3's took another beating and are still quite sticky. 20 minutes at 82* was about all they could take with 3500+ lbs of pudding riding on them :(

Only downside was that I had to pull the front grill. Ambient was about 82* and elevation was 5200 or so. First two sessions I flirted with 240*. Third session I pegged the dummy gauge 3 times (after that it just stays pegged). Pulled the grill for the 4th and 5th sessions and had zero issues.

Also, not sure if anyone else has run into this, but I went out for session 5 and the fuel gauge read just below 1/2 tank. Four laps in, the car sputters on a hard right sweeper... so I let it settle, get back in it and no issues. Get to turn 8 (Slow, decreasing radius, second gear) and come bombing out of it (per normal). Downhill run and the car looses all power. Clutch in and RPMS go to zero. Finally got it re-fired and headed towards pit-in. Stalled again on the exit ramp. Got it re-fired and back to the pits. Sit and idle and the gauge is showing about 1/4 tank. Turn the car off to start my post session check-list. Get back in, fire it up and the gauge is pegged below 'E'. I know I turned some fast laps, but did I outrun the fuel gauge ::)
Great job on your fast lap. That's a GREAT feeling. Did you bring your chicken wire grille with you or were you running the 302S grille? Weird deal on that grille phenomon but even with the air-to-oil cooler I'm guessing I may still need to change to a billet grille. If next Friday is anything like today could be iffy.....91 here today 8)

I've had major issues with the fuel gauge at the track. It's gotten so bad that now I just start with a full tank. I'll run one session....maybe 2 and then dump a 5 gallon can in after each subsequent session. The gauge won't read correctly after my first session. I suspect it's due to the saddle tank design.

Bummer on the rain/snow Pete. It just isn't fair, we've had midsummer weather here the last two weeks with virtually no precip. My first day is next Friday and it's looking like 66 and sunny so should be a good day. Better than today....it was 91!

Good idea Steve. I agree on your outlook for the first day out. I likened it to going to the driving range with a new set of clubs for those of you that have ever played golf. Just gotta go out and get a feel for all the new stuff and practice. We should share what mods helped and by how much for those of us that have comparative lap times from last year. I have pretty good data, at least on the fast laps. I'll sticky the thread too.

I spent today bolting in my race seat and harnesses, bedding pads and tucked her in the trailer at my warehouse. Filled up several cans of 93 octane and gathered up the spare parts so all I have to do is load the pickup. I did a test run on my new trailer in about 25-30 mph winds and it was a little tail happy. I moved the car up a few inches to gain some tongue weight, but the bed was empty and normally there's a set of wheels/tires, 5 gas cans, a load of parts, toolbox jack stands and a jack so it should be better when I go for real.

She's ready to rock:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss

+1 on the Cobalts I run them on the GT3 and wear is awesome. After burning up a set of DTC 70 in 2 days to the metal something had to give. Talked to Andie at Cobalt and got some XR1 front XR2 rear. Just did 2 days at Hallett and ms wear is good. I will measure them when I get home and see how much life is left.

Peter

CaliMR said:
cloud9, I need one of those. Who is your supplier? ;D
Actually heck of a good sport. Helped me get the trailer loaded yesterday and makes a great pit crew.

Peter/John a friend of mine that tracks his Z06 a lot said he's tried them all and also likes Cobalts best. He runs the XR1. Is the XR2 a slightly less aggressive compound like running DTC70 front/60 rear? How are they on the street? I'm digging not doing a full pad/rotor swap right now with as as often as I go to the track and would want to be able to leave the pads/rotors on for the street if they bite well cold.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!

I'm running XR2 front and XR4 rear. Call them up and talk to Andie, or shoot them an email and he will most likely be the one to answer. I also got a BMWCCA discount. They offer SCCA discounts as well.

5 gallons per session... I will need to invest in jerry cans. Gas is almost $10 a gallon at some of the tracks. I thought my old car was bad getting 3 mpg at the track ;D

CaliMR said:
5 gallons per session... I will need to invest in jerry cans. Gas is almost $10 a gallon at some of the tracks. I thought my old car was bad getting 3 mpg at the track ;D
The tracks I run are 2.1, 2.2 and 3.1 miles and lap times are high 1:30s, low 1:40s and low 1:50s with 20 & 25 minute sessions respectively. Track mileage is about 6.5-7.5 in the Boss on the silver key. I don't know yet if it's worse with TracKey. So I'm using somewhere bewteen 3.3 and 6.4 gallons per session. I always bring gas with me. Track rates are outrageous, and if you're just running pump gas there's no reason to buy it there. I just refill the jerry cans every night at the gas station.

I don't like carrying cans inside the car, as I know some people who have had bad results. The Boss will probably only go when we do private days, so I can toss some cans in my friend's bike trailer. I got spoiled by being able to do a whole day on one tank, even the turbo car only needed one refill each day. I'll just make Rick bring extra when he comes ;D

I to have had issues with the fuel gauge during track use. I believe it has to do with the saddle tank. I have almost run out of fuel on track twice now. After those two experiences I now usually leave the track at lunch time to fill up if the gas is expensive at the track. Most tracks I have been to have a gas station right really close to the track. I have never taken gas with me but am considering it in the future.

Just a word if you do bring gas cans with you. Our new no cap tanks require that little white funnel that's in your flat repair kit to work with most gas cans. Make sure you bring that with you, or buy an extra to keep in the trailer like I do.

CaliMR said:
I'll just make Rick bring extra when he comes ;D
I drive mine to the track too. My two track days in my Boss were arrive with a full tank and top off after three sessions. The prices at TH aren't too bad but I bet LS is much higher. Myself and another local Boss owner are registered with Track Masters for LS on June 16th. I'm really looking forward to that day and running down some P cars in the beginner class. :D Hopefully Andy will join us.

I may go too, never ran LS. I will have to play it a bit on the xbox to learn what direction the turns are.

Infineon has really high gas prices, I love that track but it is more of a pain every time I go since it is always oversold and there are always porsches going backwards and eating up all the track time. The big problem as far as gas at THill is that the 91 pump always breaks, and then you have to go into town to get gas. I went one weekend with NASA and it was broken Saturday morning and still broken at the end of Sunday.

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss

4.8 mpg last weekend at Hallett. ;D

Gary when I talked to Andie at Cobalt I told him I liked the bias of the DTC70/60 but nothing else. We also considered the weight of da Boss and my experience with the XR2's on the GT3. So we decided to run XR1 front and either XR2 or XR3 rear Andie must have decided to use the XR2 rears as that is what he sent. Grassroots did a brake pad test with James Clay driving it was very comprehensive and the Cobalts edged out the PFC's for 1st place.

Peter

TMO Supporting Vendors