The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Time Videos

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
Alright, I'll throw in a few...

Heres my first ever laps at Lime Rock Park. pouring rain, and... well, a new track! only a porsche passed me, and later in the video I finally drop to 3rd gear in places amd get a little sideways even.

then 3 days later, my first session at Watkins Glen is a surprise. massive fog rolled in overnight and the track was soaked. i had my hankooks kn, anticjpating a cancelled session and being ready cor a dry session in 2 hours. i was surprised when we got called to grid, and being new, took the opportunity. nithing outran me.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
here's a couple more...

Video of me learning my third track in 7 days. I only ran 1 session too... I improved from 1:32-33 territory to a 1:28.776 which will stand as my best time here for awhile

why one session? instructors only got 3 anyway. i was offered a chance to drive this in the second...

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
How do you like your Catalyst?
Catalyst is a very informative tool. The data is as easy as you want, or as deep as you want to dig in. I do wish it had OBD or CAN Bus integration for throttle position/brake pressure but it uses inline acceleration data pretty well to substitute. The coaching function is like no other system and does help. I am currently taking 2 seconds a lap off at every track I go to. I attribute 1/2 second to the car improvement made, 1/2 to the Garmin and 1 second to the in person coaching I have been getting from Craig Capaldi of Capaldi Racing. It is worth the money if you are an intermediate/low expert level driver looking for instant feedback. I do still use my AiM Solo DL2 with Smarty Cam for the deeper data collection, the more accurate throttle and brake tracing plus the more extensive comparative lap information make it better for Pro coaching debriefs.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
PPIR April 25, 2021

First time back on a track since Dec 19, 2020. Got a lot of work to do, but the HPDE 1-4 class is exactly what I needed from NASA. Pueblo next stop end of May.

You ever get to and film Pueblo? I finally got the car to Pueblo 2 weeks ago. I know I am slow but there were so few people on the track in the AM, I couldn't find anyone to chase around and steal lines.

Its so hard after years away from the track to remember to flip the switch and just go. And brake hard last minute. and and and.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
NJ
OK, novice 1 group track night in america NJMP Thunderbolt, only my 3rd track event so a long way to learn yet LOL.
Had some fun chasing a miata, finally passed him and stayed ahead for the rest of the session...

Here's the 2021 NASA AIX Championship Race from Daytona via Billy Griffin's in-car video, he won AIX in his GT4 Mustang:

Here's Friday's AIX Qualifying Race from Billy's GT4:

Here's Saturday's AIX Qualifying Race from Billy's GT4:

Here's my in-car for the AI wave of the Championship race, started 1st, finished 2nd in AI:

Here my in-car from Friday's AI Qualifying Race:

Here's my in-car from Saturday's AI Qualifying Race:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Thanks for posting and congrats on a terrific finish. I am sure you are a bit disappointed , but anyone who has run in a Championship Event knows they bring out competition many may not see all year. 2nd is super solid and a podium placement is something many never achieve at the Nationals , way to go!!

Thanks for the kind words Bill. I made a mistake on the last lap before the yellow/red came out for weather ending the race early. Gave up the bottom coming off the banking in Turn 4 and let Coby take the short way around me. If I made him go outside i may have been able to hold him off a little while longer. Definitely frustrated as I don't get a lot of chances to win a National Championship on my favorite track, especially after having a fairly dominant car all weekend.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
So I have a couple videos here from Rockingham. @Apex3V and I traded wheels Sunday afternoon, where we learned that wasted Toyo RR tires are slower than wasted Hankook RS4. The standiut difference in tires for me has to be the braking ability of the Toyo RR.

The track and tires were all aging badly as the weeeknd rolled on. My car could trail brake better and carry speed thru the kink better on Saturday than Sunday.

the consistent laps video is Saturday, late morning.. the fastest I'd go all weekend. Sunday is the mix/match of stuff.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I don't think I've ever contributed to this thread...so I guess I will, with apologies to anyone who's already seen this in the lap time thread.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
From last Friday at Thunderhill....keep an eye on that Camaro.

TMO Supporting Vendors