The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Time Videos

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Actually, Steve, I seldom ran over 210-220 ( oil temp ) during a race weekend either , when I had my Boss 302S. I think I occasionally saw a short period of 230 , but then the engine temp ran around 194-198 throughout races. I have not really paid attention to my Mach 1, which I need to do, as your car could be more indicative of what temps I might see with a S550.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Sal where are you picking up oil temp? Also are you fully ducted and what size oil cooler? 210 doesn't sound correct at full session load
In the pan. Yes, fully ducted.949 seatrab.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Like you, Duane, I leave no curb untouched, ha! Great runs and I often wonder what your competitors say to each other after each session? I can see a group gathering together now, asking each other, " Did you get passed by that V6 Mustang too?'"

Thanks for the video and keep playing David! I still wonder, though, how really fast you are going to be in the future when the day comes that you get a 5 liter?!

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
Like you, Duane, I leave no curb untouched, ha! Great runs and I often wonder what your competitors say to each other after each session? I can see a group gathering together now, asking each other, " Did you get passed by that V6 Mustang too?'"

Thanks for the video and keep playing David! I still wonder, though, how really fast you are going to be in the future when the day comes that you get a 5 liter?!
a good data guy shpuld be able to answer that question!

I'm thinking my future holds a BRZ unfortunately...

Tried a new camera location. Had to keep it low to keep it from blocking line of sight from my helmet, but in the end it's a little too low for me to use it again in car.

I will have to setup a sidemounted camera location. Moved the mic to the rear license plate frame and prefer the audio color. This was my fastest raw time, last run of the event, but 3 cones picked up unfortunately. Go Pro was dead for my fastest run and didn't have time to battery swap once I realized. The GPS also failed to record the second half of the lap. Not sure what's going on but this issue keeps happening consistently once we get down to the far end of the parking lot. Perfect recording up til I make the turnaround near the onsite airport and then my GPS dies. Weird, but not my major concern. Need to get more front camber as you can see that even on a square setup the car still defaults to understeer unless it's throttle invoked oversteer.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
@mavisky , I have struggled with camera positioning as well. Still trying to sort the GoPro, but I like filming with my phone as I can use RaceRender etc for the data overlaid. My problem is the suspension is now to firm and between play in the window mount and possibly bouncing of the car, my phone stops video. Very irritating, I wouldn't think that is your issue, but can tell you my phone has been shutting off now that I stiffened up the suspension.

I agree on needing a higher POV so you can see in the camera further ahead.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Actually, Steve, I seldom ran over 210-220 ( oil temp ) during a race weekend either , when I had my Boss 302S. I think I occasionally saw a short period of 230 , but then the engine temp ran around 194-198 throughout races. I have not really paid attention to my Mach 1, which I need to do, as your car could be more indicative of what temps I might see with a S550.
The data points from the ECU are 20 degrees hotter than actual Auto Meter Spek temp gauge that is picking up the oil as it leaves the oil pump and enters the oil filter. I typically see 240 degrees with the 948 Setrab but that weekend the temps were 30 degrees higher. Currently adding Setrab 960 along with -12 lines. Ford uses an interpolation to give oil temp that is based on water temp, CHT and RPM data.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
Heres a long session at VIR Grand. Its from the Car and Driver Lightning Lap.... and its my second timed session!

The first lap has tires still a little cold... aftrr that it's fun til the last lap when they get a little too hot...

TMO Supporting Vendors